• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Blow

UE8in69

Bluelighter
I couldn't find a thread specific to this movie. I just received it from Netflix today and am ready to watch it again - once I wipe the tears away. Did anyone else cry at the end of this movie? :(

It's not like he was a bad person. He wasn't a thug or gangster/gansta, he never shot anyone and he always had the best intentions. Granted what he was doing wasn't technically legal. 8(

IMO if he didn't have such a bitch of a wife I don't think he would have gone to jail that last time. Fucking women man! Every damn time. Instead of saying I'm sorry I got you arrested and shit, it's if you give us money and help us out I might not take your kid away from you again. :X

Some say men pick women like their mothers - too bad his mother was a cunt. At the end of the movie it's mentioned that his daughter has yet to see him. I hope something in this movie caused her to change her mind. Man I can't believe I'm crying.

That was so wrong of his wife. She was living it up the whole time with him. And oh, how about when he got set up and confronted them blowing their cover?

After seeing the movie i was somewhat disturbed for days by it just like i was after watching The People VS Larry Flint which is by the same writer.
My only hope after it was over was that his daughter sees him portrayed like we did instead of whatever hogwash her mother has filled her head & that she will see her dad for how he truly was. And i believe that to be a pretty decent guy too. He just made some wrong decisions regarding his occupation.

One of my favourite movies ever, whoever played Pablo did a stirling first class job in that role.

^^^Cliff Curtis played Pablo in Blow and did a damn good job. I think he's a New Zealand actor if im not mistaken.

^^^ he also played the ecstasy dealer in bad boys II... another role he played VERY well. that guy was BORN to play drug dealers in movies. it's his calling. :)

Blow is one of my favorite movies. I loved it! It was sad how he ended up though...I thought his daughter really came to visit him and then she ends up being just a figment of his imagination...too bad. :( Great film though..I love when he is walking through the airport in the white suit looking all conspicuous. Hehe.

ryanlaughlin said:
^^^ he also played the ecstasy dealer in bad boys II... another role he played VERY well. that guy was BORN to play drug dealers in movies. it's his calling. :)
And the drug dealer in Scorese's "Bringing out the dead" Im beginning to see a pattern in his choice of rolls!

awesome flick. what really gets me is how insane this guy's life was. the true story aspect raises the movie to a whole other level.

Sorry to piss on your bonfire guys, but I thought this film was very biased. George Jung tries to make out he was a nice guy which I find very hard to believe. You don't become a big time drug dealer without having to kill people, he would have had to have been a cunt somewhere along the line.

I'll piss on the bonfire, too: If you don't think he ever did anything bad other than smuggle hundreds of tons of coke into the country, read the book which is not at all as sympathetic to poor George Jung as the movie is. He was a scum of the earth drug lord, plain and simple. Just because his wife was such a bitch and he hasn't seen his daughter, well, he made his bed, time to sleep in it.

That was so wrong of his wife.

8o You mean besides the fact she was snorting coke while pregnant ?

Her actual problem was the same as the wife in JFK, The Insider and a few other true stories (excepting Erin Brocovich, I grant - we need more of her :)) - priority of parental investment over anything else and / or narcissism (I was watching a british feminist Germaine Grear on tv the other day and she made a good point that women are naturally narcissistic). Whatever about Jung's wife, what about his mother ? Worried about what the neighbours thought of her more than anything else. I don't mean to pick on women - men are shits in all kinds of different ways too. It all evens out.

I totally understand both of your points (a_muse & Negative). I also understand that although this movie was "based on a true story", IMO that only means that this movie was about a person that existed at one time. I realized that most people involved in a illegal activity will leave out facts that they'd rather not acknowledge for what ever reason.

Imagine this movie wasn't about Jung, just some Joe Blow (pun intended) dealer, and this was his interpertation of reality. Wouldn't you consider it still a fucked up sequence of events? Realize that I'm not saying that this movie was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth therefore I don't feel like I need to read a book. Maybe at some point I might but, I'm not all that interested in George Jung as a person. I do, however, love Johnny Depp and Ray Liotta and wanted to express my feeling about a movie they acted in (again IMO) about drugs - not necessarly George Jung. Now leave my bonfire the hell alone. :)

K, I can handle that. Johnny Depp is one of my faves, too. It was a good movie, I just don't like all the sympathizing for him . . .

the squeaky clean "hooker w/ a heart of gold" angle is one of its few flaws imo. its cheesy, tacked on, and misogynistic if you wanna get all serious about it :D

still love that flick and johnny depp = god

UE8in69 said:
I totally understand both of your points (a_muse & Negative). I also understand that although this movie was "based on a true story", IMO that only means that this movie was about a person that existed at one time. I realized that most people involved in a illegal activity will leave out facts that they'd rather not acknowledge for what ever reason.

Well, the authors who write the books don't just take the story of the person they are writing about. They sometimes spending years collaberating them with with dozens to hundreds of other people to get their accounts too.

I haven't read the book Blow and shame on me as i am always one to read the book first and then bitch about the movie after it. I need a good read. I think it will be next on my list.
I read alot of true life crime and then like to catch the made for TV movie special later. Usually on Lifetime. Anyways, i hate it when the movie doesn't follow the book and major things are portrayed differently. :X
But when a movie does follow a book i give alot of credit to the movie being portrayed factually because i know that the writers work very hard to get the most accurate picture of the situation to their readers.

Now i have to read the book. Bad, bad me.

The book and the movie are extremely different. I'd suggest reading the book before making assumptions about Jung. I really love the book, though.

eh... i saw it for free when they showed a sneak preview of it at my college. it was worth the price i guess, but it wasn't that interesting of a film. it was easy to predict the entire trajectory of the plot after the first ten minutes. it did have johnny depp, pee wee, bobcat, and copious amounts of weed and cocaine so at least it had the entertainment factor going for it.

randycaver said:
The book and the movie are extremely different. I'd suggest reading the book before making assumptions about Jung. I really love the book, though.

Yes! Same goes for Ray Liotta's character in Goodfellas . . . although that movie doesn't sympathize with the rat near so much, you should read Wiseguy, great fucking book, as well as Blow.

Read them back to back, Wiseguy then Blow. It's kind of weird, but you know, the cat from Goodfellas in real life was probably vicariously (sp?) getting his coke from George Jung . . . just a though.

I thought this was a great movie. Although I thought the book was better. Either-way I got tears at the end of both. I felt so bad for him.
I wonder if his daughter seen the movie and changed her mind about seeing him?

read the book...george jung is a fuckin' god!! i mean, he was bumping elbows w/ escobar!!