Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

FILM: Black Swan

Rate this movie

• Total voters
Question

NSFW:
Who opened Nina's door after her hallucinated sex romp with Lily? She put the pipe down so her mom couldn't enter but when she wakes up the pipe is moved and the door is open. I get that you're suppose to think Lily left so you can realize later it was all a hallucination but it doesn't make sense that the door was open. Can anyone clear this up for me or is it a hole?

Question

NSFW:
Who opened Nina's door after her hallucinated sex romp with Lily? She put the pipe down so her mom couldn't enter but when she wakes up the pipe is moved and the door is open. I get that you're suppose to think Lily left so you can realize later it was all a hallucination but it doesn't make sense that the door was open. Can anyone clear this up for me or is it a hole?

NSFW:
I thought the pipe was still there?

NSFW:
i thought it was pretty hard to figure out what was real and what was not, beyond the obvious.

apparently, Natalie Portman has announced she is preggers and engaged to the Black Swan choreographer. :)

NSFW:
There was a scene in the begining where portmans dance instructer summarized the the white swan ballet.

He said the white swan was a fragile/innocent/virginal girl trapped in a swans body, only true love would break the spell or something along those lines. she falls in love with a prince but the black swan seduces and steals him away. This cuases the white swan to committ suicide and in death she finds freedom.

to me that summary of the ballet was actually also the plot of the movie that we as the audience were watching. natalie portman represened the white swan, mila kunis represents the black swan, and the star role represents the prince (or the object portmans character "loved")

Portmans character feels mila kunis (Black swan), is trying to steal her role in the ballet (black swan seduces and steals the prince), portmans character then commits suicide with the self inflicted stab wound and in death finds relief it seemed. (white swan jumps off cliff in ballet, spell is over)

so essentially the "white swan ballet" was Foreshadowing the movie. that was my take on it.

kinda see what im saying?

NSFW:
But Nina does not lose her 'Prince'. Mila Kunis doesn't get her Prince. There is no accidental falling in love with the wrong swan. Everyone loves Nina as the swan. Mila Kunis gets nothing. So I don't think that makes any sense. I also think that just saying it was Swan Lake is too simple and doesn't give Aronofsky any credit. Swan Lake is like Romeo and Juliet, two lovers, between them, death, that's it. This movie had a lot more internal demons than external ones, and was absolutely terrifying at parts, and was way more about metamorphosis than the simple two lovers/death formula.

I can't wait to see this. Too bad I'm gonna be the loser who goes alone :(

Oh well, I've loved Aronofsky ever since my high school video teacher had me watch Pi. If he can make a movie about math that's riveting, he can do anything.

NSFW:
But Nina does not lose her 'Prince'. Mila Kunis doesn't get her Prince. There is no accidental falling in love with the wrong swan. Everyone loves Nina as the swan. Mila Kunis gets nothing. So I don't think that makes any sense. I also think that just saying it was Swan Lake is too simple and doesn't give Aronofsky any credit. Swan Lake is like Romeo and Juliet, two lovers, between them, death, that's it. This movie had a lot more internal demons than external ones, and was absolutely terrifying at parts, and was way more about metamorphosis than the simple two lovers/death formula.

NSFW:
I see what your saying, mila kunis never "actually" got the role, but if you think back to the scene in which the stabbing occured, from the point of view of portmans character mila kunis was in the dressing room wearing the black swan costume and makeup and said the role was hers now (I think it might have been because of the fall during the show or something). thats what caused the fight to start and then natalie portman stabbed mila kunis.

so from the point of view of the main character, mila kunis did steal her role or seduce her prince. then directly after that the delusional portman actually stabbed herself which was the suicide part.

I dont think this was the main theme Aronofsky was portraying (as you said there was also a lot going on with the internal demons, the chase for perfection ect) I just thought it was a pretty cool facet of a multi faceted movie and a nice use of forshadowing, to me it doesnt simply the movie only adds another shade of color to it, giving it more depth.

And the Oscar nod for best actress goes to portman for black swan...

But best picture? Hmmm I think he deserves it. m

NSFW:
i still have major doubts.

NSFW:
It makes more sense if you think of it like Fight Club. I.e. Mila Kunis is less of an independent character and more of a foil for Portman, her unexpressed dark side. So then it's like her dark side breaks out and displaces/destroys her. The meaning of the murder scene at the end is really the black swan killing the white swan, and not the other way around as it appears. Anyway, I'm sure the narrative is intentionally symmetrical with the swan lake. You can see it in the way the characters discuss it.

NSFW:
Amazing film. Possibly Portman's greatest performance yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked it. 4 stars. I want to watch it again.

As an aside, one of my friends had to leave the theater during the middle because she started feeling ill due to the spinning/shifty camerawork. Then she threw up a little bit after it was over. Just wanted to throw that out there in case some of you are really prone to motion sickness.

Damnit!! I can see that happening to me :\ I guess i'll just have to smoke a bunch of pot before i go....(i actually want to see this sober)

It was perfect. i saw it 3 days ago and i'm still thinking about it. There isn't anything at all i would have liked to have seen done differently.