• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Feedback Thread] How can WE improve on the PD forum? Suggestions welcome!

^Nice postage there :)

Now heres a tip for everyone- instead of writing "In before da close" or somesuch in a dubious thread, hit the REPORT button, so the mods or sMods are aware of the problem/weirdness....if ou don't know, the report button is at the bottom left of each post- don't be put off by the dire implorings to ONLY REPORT FOR....just do it, it doesn't result in anything except specifically bringing that thread to staff attention. Its another way that everyone can help moderate the forum :)

What about a thread that collects all relevant literature (books, e-books, youtube documentaries,...) about the psychedelic experience or other topics of interest of those browsing this forum?

my suggestions:

number 1. don't close so many threads. It seems like a lot of times threads get closed just because a mod doesnt like it or its silly or whatever. But you dont need to close it, i mean, sometimes it is topics that could eventually go in a good direction and end up with everyone benefiting from it, but instead it just takes up a spot in the thread index and you cant even comment on it.

number 2. i am not a big fan of the big and dandy threads. There have been a lot of times that I will use the search engine to find something, and be directed to the big and dandy threads. Problem is its really hard to jump in at the point where you are looking for information without reading the entire thread, which can be a hell of a lot of pages. This is probably one of the reasons that so many people post threads that are identical to ones posted alraedy, because they don't read through the bnd threads because its such a daunting task if you are looking for some important info kinda quickly. if people want to post to the big and dandy, thats fine, but i dont think we should merge threads into it.

I just looked over the closed threads, hoping to agree with you, since a few people seem to be generating the same concern. However, the threads that do get closed are the ridiculous ones (e.g. how to make lsd) or one that requires a simple answer and really doesn't ask or leave room for any discussion (and would fall to the bottom anyway).

I LOVE the big and dandy threads. That's just me though. You can search the thread (top right of the thread), but I can still see how it makes it a little difficult with all of those pages.

When I close a thread, it's because it's not suitable for PD because it breaks the rules, or it's because it's a simple question which does need answering but is not going to start a discussion. When I close this type of thread I always answer the question first. Sometimes we also move a thread to another forum because it would be better suited to that forum.

If we didn't close threads, this place would be a mess.

I guess i just don't see why the threads with simple questions need to be closed. what hard does it do to leave it open in case someone would like to add on to someone elses answers or has a different viewpoint. I agree that the threads that are obviously against forum policies, but sometimes i just feel like it is taken to the extreme. i know there have been several instances where i will read a thread and have something i'd really like to add, but its locked :/

I see what you're saying, but why do you feel the need to add something if it's just a simple question that has been answered? As I said, if we left every thread open that didn't break the rules, this place would be a mess. If we left the simple question threads that have been answered open, then every time someone wanted to add something, it would get bumped to the top, meaning everyone would have to see this thread again that only helped one person and was already covered elsewhere. We close them so they'll scroll off the page, since they've already been answered. Plus we have a thread for posting simple miscellaneous questions, for the very purpose of not cluttering the first page of the forum with 10 threads about something that's already been covered.

I think you were here when Church was a mod... he was often dubbed "the thread-closingest mod". But as a result everyone was always happy with the way the forum wasn't cluttered. As it stands right now we get a fair number of complaints that we don't close enough threads.

I can accept that and i understand, but my point is this:

i think we all agree that when someone is about to post a thread, they should do a quick search to see if their question was already answered. someone will search, find the thread, and see that someone else had a similar situation, and would like to chime in on their own experiences with the same topic. with out current system, that thread would most likely be locked, and instead what we have is someone posting a new thread about a topic that has already been covered, but they just want to cover something a tiny bit different that would have been better suited as a response to the current thread. I feel that that actually ends up creating more unneeded threads.

case in point. i just browsed the forum now and pulled up the first locked thread i could find: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=383812

now i realize that this question has been answered, but the point I'm trying to make is, what if i wanted to chime in and say that "hey my friend has tried this before and it caused some really serious adverse side effects x, y and z. I'd strongly advise against it." (note this isnt the case, but I'm just saying). If no one has anything to add like this, then the thread will fall off the first page and be done with. then if at some point someone does have something to add, then they can post it, and at that time, it would be worth having another look if you've already read it.

^I don't see your concern with that particular thread. The drug-world is literred with inaccuracies and peoples 'opinions' and when it comes to the interactions between a strong medication and a strong psychedelic, the less speculative responses the better. The combination isdangerous; the idea of the forum is harm reduction; the thread was answered BEFORE any misinformation can get into it- for example somebody wanting to post, "Hey,my mate did this, he was fine" that would be misinformation. Thus threads that can and have been answered are closed. That said, had it been posted in the Big and Dandy it could still be talked about; conversely, theres no point as the information wil be found easily enough, and merging threads can make things harder for the user to find information.

Threads that WILL genenerate a discussion and hopefully either add to the HR info available to us all or at the least be entertaining or informative, then they stay open. If they contain a snippet of chatter that directly relates to a chemical, then they will be merged into the Big and Dandy thread. On that matter, if they didn't exist, you would never find anything :\ Also, I will add that if your taking a psychedelic drug, having a read through those threads shouldn't be difficult or something that needs to be done quickly- you are talking about your healthy/safety/life etc here and I'm sure you can take your time to read up on how to prevent losing those things.

Also, with the Big and Dandy threads, pretty much any questions are permitted pertaining to the chemical of the topic (obviously excluding anything that breaks rules)....so use them! They are all archived, thus saved, so nothing is lost. If someone has a snippet they want to add about such-and-such on DOET, go to the thread, add your piece- the thread will be bumped, people will read it~voila! Job done.

I would suggest that you may not have read this thread moracca, as this exact issue has been talked about continuously. As annoying as it can be to have to dig through stuff your not interested in, it is a good way of getting up to date at least.

My personal stance is that the thread-closing in this forum isn't going to stop for the reasons we've outlined. However, as we are kind-hearted ghouls, we will always read a polite PM asking why the threads closed, or providing a reason why it shouldn't be opened. :)

swilow said:
My personal stance is that the thread-closing in this forum isn't going to stop for the reasons we've outlined. However, as we are kind-hearted ghouls, we will always read a polite PM asking why the threads closed, or providing a reason why it shouldn't be opened.

Agreed 100%. I'm quite comfortable closing threads when I feel like they're going nowhere, and will continue to do so, but I HAVE had occasion to reopen closed threads after some discussion in PM, so feel free to fire away.

Agreed as well. Another part of the reason I closed that thread was that the OP was satisfied with the answer. But what swilow said is exactly what I think as well. The main issue to me is that we have Big and Dandy threads for a reason, and that reason is so we can keep the number of short, minor threads to a minimum. We have a lot of posters... PD is usually the 4th busiest forum on Bluelight, and if we let every little thread stay open, the forum becomes a mess, and the information becomes decentralized.

moracca said:
i think we all agree that when someone is about to post a thread, they should do a quick search to see if their question was already answered. someone will search, find the thread, and see that someone else had a similar situation, and would like to chime in on their own experiences with the same topic. with out current system, that thread would most likely be locked, and instead what we have is someone posting a new thread about a topic that has already been covered, but they just want to cover something a tiny bit different that would have been better suited as a response to the current thread. I feel that that actually ends up creating more unneeded threads.

You raise a good point here. But where do we draw the line with leaving threads open? Besides, what people really should be doing is posting in the Big and Dandy threads. If a thread is about a topic which has not been covered before elsewhere, we leave it open. If you find a case where you don't feel we have covered it before and we still close a thread, you should PM us to bring it to our attention. :)

swilow said:
I would suggest that you may not have read this thread moracca, as this exact issue has been talked about continuously. As annoying as it can be to have to dig through stuff your not interested in, it is a good way of getting up to date at least.

you are correct. sorry

^Its cool, just making sure that your aware of what we've discussed for the forum and whatnot...:)

^^^still? I felt the same way, but a significant portion have been removed.

I can't comment on whether mods close more or less than before, but what pisses me off when a thread is closed is if it's done so with no explanation. It's just damn rude and unfriendly, particularly if the reason isn't related to HR or BL rules, but is a matter of personal opinion.

Otherwise, I think this is a fantastic forum.

BigOlBug said:
I can't comment on whether mods close more or less than before, but what pisses me off when a thread is closed is if it's done so with no explanation. It's just damn rude and unfriendly, particularly if the reason isn't related to HR or BL rules, but is a matter of personal opinion.

Otherwise, I think this is a fantastic forum.

Mods don't close threads without a reason stated unless its self-evident why the thread is against the rules and/or useless. Mods here dont/can't just close threads because they somehow "disagree" with the subject that the OP is addressing.

~*geNeRaTiOn E*~ said:
toooooo many stickiiiiiiiies!

Hmm, yeah thats true enough. I haven't looked at Bluelight throughout non-mod spectacles for while so I can't remember....:)

RogerandMe has explained it well....either we will explain in the last post why the thread is being close, or its deemed self evident. There is an option for entering a reason which appears at the top of the closed thread; but pop-up blockers don't let it through unless you manually flipsy around with it, and it is something I always forget to do. Perhaps its something we will try to rememeber.

The default stance of the Bluelight mods is harm reduction; so if you see a thread closed without what seems to be a valid explanation, see if you can find the HR element that is present. I wouldn't shut a thread because the topic bored me, or was uninteresting; if it is a repeat topic, or can be merged, or is not going to go anywhwere, then it gets closed. I guess personal opinion could be seen, but its not ever meant to be taken personally. As I've said a 35674.9826 times in this thread, if theres a concern with a thread clsure please PM the mod/any of the PD mods politely and explain your reasoning. I've re-opened threads on request before; its certainly not unknown.

Anyway, BigOlBug, I appreciate you bringing that to our attention. Whether it will dramatically change or not, I won't say- but I hope I've explained the basic reasoning behind thread closing. Also, you may be interested inreading through the rest of this thread....

Peace :)

5-HT2 said:
^^^still? I felt the same way, but a significant portion have been removed.

there are 7 stickied threads in the forum. being a mod, i know to look at them but at the same time, they're distracting and make the forum look extremely cluttered. maybe you can condense a few into 1 sticky thread and leave the more important ones on their own?