• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fasting

Well you're right, it's the most extreme detox. Not harmful at all, just rigorous. The body expends EVERYTHING till it starts to burn the fat. Once I'm a day or 2 into burning fat my fast will be over. Everything my body needs is in the fat. Well almost everything, but thats why its only for a week.

Yeah I just did a bit of reading about it. I can see the potential benefits, definetly not for me though. Let us know how it goes! :)

Ever heard of the lemonade diet? Do some research. If you can get a physical book of the guide, it's a small yellow paperback binded with staples.

It's a fast, but the water has vitamins and minerals (and antioxidants) and a couple calories.

just wondering (since like this is a drug site and all)...if you do this isn't any fat soluble toxins stored over the years in your body going to be released too quickly?

From what I've read and understand about fasting, your digestive system slows to a stop, and the energy that you would be using to process foods (which is a lot of energy) is redirected to the process of elimination. So releasing stored up toxins is accelerated, and that can make you feel ucky, and have some symptoms of minor toxicity.

You may suffer, but I highly doubt you'll be in any danger.

Has anyone hear ever fasted? I've been reading about it and some people say that after fasting for a long period of time that they have never felt better, so I have been thinking about trying it. I'm just wondering what I can and can't drink. I know i can drink black coffee, water and certain types of tea. Anything else?

There are many kinds of fast. It depends on your motive/s. What is the purpose of your fast ? Some people do fasts were they allow themselves water/tea/fruit juices (even). It also depends on how long you wish to fast.

Ive been looking at the three day fast method thing. I really dont have a motive, i guess i just want to try it. Sounds kind of dumb.

Well, I wouldn't fast without a reason. If not for a spiritual or mental cleansing I guess the other reason would be for a physical cleanse. Since you don't have a motive I'd say the rules are up to you. For the purposes of health and not being 'unsafe' to your physical wellbeing I'd say do a liquid fast. Drink water, teas, NOT coffee (why? I don't know, it just seems more dehydrating), PURE fruit juices. Three days may be reasonable for a physical cleansing but I'd urge you to drink fruit juices for nutrients.

I had the flu, and as a result didn't eat more than 500 calories over the course of 4 days. By day 4 I was healthy, and I wasn't hungry...at all. Over the course of the following month I lost 20 pounds or so, lowered my blood pressure significantly, my face/body acne was reduced to nill, I wouldn't say I was full of energy, but I didn't feel tired. But the best benefit of my "fast"(not a literal fast, as I was consuming around 300-500 calories a day over those 30 days or so), was the improved self-confidence/esteem/body image/etc...at no point in my life have I felt better. Once I resumed eating 'round 2000 calories a day...the mental benefits seemed to vanish, but the physical changes haven't reverted to pre-fast form(it has been 4 years).

I can't recommend a true fast, but calorie restriction worked wonders for me...it 'aint for everyone though. Once you make it past day 2(avoid sugars as much as possible, as they were the only things that triggered the "I'm hungry" thoughts/feelings) your body seems to adjust.

I had the flu, and as a result didn't eat more than
I can't recommend a true fast, but calorie restriction worked wonders for me...it 'aint for everyone though. Once you make it past day 2(avoid sugars as much as possible, as they were the only things that triggered the "I'm hungry" thoughts/feelings) your body seems to adjust.

Very interesting, I've noticed that when trying to eat less, it does get a lot easier as the days progress. However, I never though of it in such drastic terms as a total fast or extreme calorie restriction. I suppose that your body would still be forced to adjust though?

At any rate an interesting concept that may be worth trying out at least short term.

There were a couple of threads about fasting before:

This and this

I have good experiences with fasting, although I recommend gentle, smaller fasts (such as skipping off a meal once a week, or one day a month), because they are easier and less taxing on you, especially if you have an anxious profile.

i think doing anything that is different and something the body isnt used to is going to be beneficial in some way.

12 Day Group Fast (Ash Wednesday to the first day of Spring)

***For all you southern hemisphere people out there whenever I say spring I also mean fall.***

Greetings fellow fasters and healthy living connoisseurs. The other day I was planning out some weekend activities and I looked up when the Easter long weekend was. Easter Sunday this year (2011 for all you future spacemen reading this) actually falls on April 24th! It has to do with the moon and always falls between March 22nd-April 25 so this is quite late. It got me thinking though about Lent and spring, and I found out that Ash Wednesday is on March 9th which just so happens to be a dozen days before March 20th the first day of spring.

For those non-(or out of practice)-Christians out there, Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent. Lent being where Jesus went without food or water in the desert for 40 days before being crucified and rising from the dead on Easter. Traditionally you are supposed to give something up to represent him giving something up for you. Also of interest is that the number 12 in Christianity is associated with "enough". For example there were 12 disciples. As I said before it just so happens that the spring equinox (a pagan holiday...Davinci code! haha) is 12 days after Ash Wednesday so this gave me an excellent idea.

A spring inspired group fast to bring together the human ideals of health, nature, religion and rebirth starting on March 9th and running 12 days until broken together during the vernal equinox at 23:21 GMT on March 20th.

So join me friends. By now new years resolutions have been broken, insulating winter fat has been gained, bathing suit season is almost upon us, and which Christians can really fast for forty whole days. Apologies once again to those in locales not coming out of winter.

I will personally be doing a juice fast during this time and view it as a true fast. I would love for it to be a water fast but I will be in the midst of training and though I'll cut back on the more intense exercise, I can't afford to stop completely and therefore can't afford a huge energy drop. I would recommend a freshly squeezed raw fruit and vegetable juice fast to everyone, but please do whatever you are comfortable with. Whether you're a raw food vegan who consumes nothing but water; a hamburger guzzling couch potato who switches to just raw veggies; an urbanized city dweller who wants to try and eat nothing but cabbage soup and celery; someone like myself who just can't manage a water fast at the time so will be drinking all sorts of yummy juices, or anything in between; so long as your goal is to improve your health, mind and spirit, all are welcome.

I'm bringing this up now at the beginning of February so that there is a month or so to get the word out and get people involved. If you like the idea and just don't think you are up for it feel free to bump...err I mean post...with your support :D Either way I think it's a good idea even if just for myself so I'll be posting updates throughout. These things are always easier and more rewarding with a helping community of love (despite what the bible says about the sin of pride and rubbing oil on your face).

Anywhoo if you have any questions feel free to post here or look over The Fasting Thread http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=476426 and post there.

Good health to you all and as you can tell I am looking forward to SPRING!

edit:
I'd prefer not to turn this into a debate on whether fasting is healthy for you or not as well.

Cheers!

edit2:
Please note:
As dokomo was kind enough to point out below, just because I put in a little disclaimer about not discussing the healthiness of fasting, it doesn't change the fact that the medical science regarding fasting and health is dubious at best. That being said many people do practice fasting, and in the end find it a rewarding experience; whether in mind, body, or soul. If you do happen to be new to all of this, please ensure you are aware of all the risk and benefits, and are comfortable with what you are getting your body into.

Last edited:
Amapola, this sounds like a wonderful connection between Christianity and (as long as I don't get flamed) the pagan spring equinox. It seems helpful to become not only more connected with people of other religions, but a time to share our own philosophies of living and how we can bring ourselves to the types of people we want to be.

I am more than happy to join you on a 12 day fast. In addition, my own personal goal for Lent is to try veganism for the 40 days over Lent. Since I'm in school and working, I'll join the juicing fast with you. Of course, buying fresh fruits and vegetables might be a little expensive, so I'll limit myself to fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables on a juice fast.

Thank you for the wonderful idea! :)

I'll definitely partake in the fast--I'll probably do a water-only fast, but I'm not entirely sure yet. 12 days is daunting as I'm about to embark on four, which is double the longest I've fasted.

Gonna see if I can get a friend to try giving up meat and possibly other animal products over the 12 days--She's been mentioning she's wanted to try giving up all animal products for at least a week out of the month, so I'll pass this by her. :)

I'll join you all...

water only for me.

Last edited:
Glad to see some interest and thank you all for the kind words!

@addictivepersonality
If you've only completed two days of water fasting before, jumping to a dozen could be pretty hard. I guess you can see how you do on your upcoming four day fast and decide where to go on from there. In general I find with fasting it shouldn't be something you are really struggling to complete. It is of course a test of willpower and inner-strength, but it shouldn't be horribly painful or something that you go into wondering if you will finish. The worst case scenario is trying a fast you aren't cut out for and feeling physically wretched trying to tough it out, before quitting and feeling mentally wretched for not achieving your goal. If you are in doubt about 12 days of water then I'd suggesting you set a fixed decreasing schedule of something like 3 days raw food, 3 days juice, 6 days water over the 12 days. It is important to set challenges for yourself, but you will feel a lot better about striving for and achieving a set of difficult but obtainable goals throughout the week rather then just throwing yourself in the deep end and seeing how long you can swim before you drown.

edit:
Ahaha what a morbid way to end a post!
I just don't want to see anybody drown right before spring. :D

Good luck on your 4 day fast. Keep us updated in The Fasting Thread and I'll keep my eyes open and tag along in there. I'm sure you'll swim like a dolphin!

I might join you guys. Not sure. I'm in a big building and training phase right now but I may be ready to fast again by march. We will see. :) Thanks for posting this.