⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

F&Ts Top 100 Science fiction films.

^That looks bizarre and hilarious.

And correct me if I'm wrong but is that old lady in the triangle the evil lady in The Goonies?

33: The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions, I know I'm gonna get shot down in flames for these, but I absolutely loved 'em, I think people's expectations were too high for them, but I think both movies have scenes in them that totally surpass the original - The Burly Brawl (even though the CGI looks shit now) the swordfight on the twin flights of stairs, the highway chase in Reloaded and the Dock attack and the final showdown in Revolutions to name a few whilst still keeping the semi religious overtones of the orginal. I think people were too harsh on them...

the-matrix-reloaded.jpg

matrixreloaded460.jpg

matrix_reloaded_17.jpg

1.jpg

smith-post.jpg

matrixrevolutions460.jpg

Last edited:
^ You have to wrap those links in

I really want to see They Live.
Also, the set design in Stalker looks amazing and makes me really want to see it, as well as The Prestige.

Visually, the Matrix follow-ups might have been impressive, but were nowhere near the affect of the original. Yes the later movies had more advanced cgi, but that doesn't mean it is better. You can only measure special effects by how far ahead of their contemporaries they are, and the first Matrix blows the other two away by that metric.

Still two exciting action sci-fi films, though.

^If you haven't seen The Prestige yet I highly recommend it. It is one of those movies (IMO anyway) that just grabs you and doesn't let go. The first time I watched it I had to watch it again about 2 hours later because I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Thanks for the tip with the images - didn't know how to do that cheers

Wasn't referring to the more advanced effects in the other two being the sole reason I like them - they're just standout set piece moments in the movies that I particularly enjoyed, I thought they advanced the story of the original in terms of plot and tone too. I'll always have soft spot for the original - it is an awesome movie, but I'm one of the few people who love the sequels just as much. I watch films like these to be entertained at the end of the day, and they both deliver in spades, whilst carrying a plot that verges on the preposterous at times admittedly

I watch films like these to be entertained at the end of the day, and they both deliver in spades,

In the end that is what really matters buddy.

Personally I was cool with the whole trilogy EXCEPT for the way the whole thing ended. The whole Deus ex machina ending kind of threw me off.

Agreed, they weren't perfect, but I kinda liked the ending, can't really imagine another way it could have been done much better...

An that neatly brings me to number 32: V for Vendetta: One of my favourites of the last few years, top performance by Portman & Weaving, amazing twist, great cinematogrophy, and like earlier entry 'Children of Men' (which I've just seen for the first time today - awesome) a believable vision of Britain if it fell into the wrong hands...

V_for_Vendetta_by_Rub_a_Duckie.jpg

2006_v_for_vendetta_003.jpg

visforvendetta-vforvisual.jpg

V_for_Vendetta.jpg

vforvendettahead.jpg

Also, the set design in Stalker looks amazing and makes me really want to see it,
Yeah, even just looking at those intriguing stills I can imagine a person who hasn’t seen it getting a feel for what Stalker is about. They sort of ooze the existential, mystical and melancholic.

The basic plot of the film is that an asteroid harboring some kind of arcane incorporeal intelligence has crashed in “The Zone,” and the landscape itself has become sentient. In the center of The Zone lies The Room, an austere monolithic location capable of granting any who enter their darkest desire. However, The Zone contains hidden dangers. These traps can only be navigated by the seemingly arbitrary intuitions of the Stalker, whose mission is to lead select companions to The Room.

Though it feels nothing like a Lynch film, Stalker is similar in approach to many of Lynch’s films in that its symbols are not necessarily meant to be analyzed or recognized by the intellect, but rather are to be fed straight through perception, broadly engaged by intuition, and allowed to guide the viewer through undiscovered or neglected recesses of their psyche (this is why it’s not a film for everyone – it will frustrate people looking for passive entertainment or who are more straightforward in their expectations and cognitive style). Undoubtedly that sounds a bit pretentious, or even exclusionary, but that’s nevertheless been my experience – and who ever said art should always be democratic? Of course I also like to eat a hefty dose of psychedelics before films like these so such an experience is somewhat inevitable…

^You don't have to post images (although we really appreciate it if you did) but you should at least number them.

^Heh. You may be interested in reading the poignant article, "How Quickly Israel and Palestine Have Forgotten the Lessons of 'Enemy Mine'"
Instead of allowing illegal settlements to be built in the West Bank, perhaps the Israeli government will take a cue from Dennis Quaid and the alien, who together build a shelter from the shells of those giant turtles with the big tongues, thereby saving themselves from being burned to death by those crazy flaming meteorites. And maybe the next time a Palestinian militant is thinking about blowing himself up in a crowded public place, he'll remember that scene where Dennis Quaid's character teaches the baby Drac how to play football and how much fun they have before the baby gets kidnapped.

Last edited:
^lol nice article.

The premise for Enemy Mine wasn't actually all that new. Two movies in the 60s actually had pretty much the same premise. Both were set on deserted islands in the Pacific during WWII and involved Japanese and American soldiers working together to stay alive.

Some of these don't seem like sci-fi at all, but more fantasy and psychological thrillers.

I really want to see They Live.
Also, the set design in Stalker looks amazing and makes me really want to see it, as well as The Prestige.
Ya, I'm finally checking out "They Live" now. It streams on Netflix.
"Stalker and "The Prestige" look amazing too.

--
edit: about "They Live" : "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, but I'm all out of bubble gum."

lol, hail the king baby. -Duke Nukem

"They Live" was a great idea and started out pretty cool, but ended up being pretty fucking corny actually.

Last edited: