• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

extremely crude dmt extraction

Edible lime (not limes, the fruit - but calcium hydroxide) won't work anywhere near as well as soda lye (NaOH). Even though it's a "strong base" it's not very soluble, and will leave you with lots of precipitated chalky shit to cleanup.
I expect DMT in most plant forms to be a citrate or other simple carboxylate salt. Soaking in IPA is going to make a mess. Just do the STB tek, it's not hard.

can someone please elaborate on the stb procedue? how much soda lye to use with how much water with how much chacruna leaves? and how long to soak? where can i find soda lye?

You may want to do a Google search next time - we're not here to spoon feed people!

The jovial gnomes at the DMT Nexus say you can't effectively do a STB extraction on chacruna (P. Viridis leaves) - there is too little DMT and too much plant waxes and fats to get an effective extraction. As a result, you need to do the much more complex acid-base extraction with a naptha defatting wash. That's probably much more work than you are capable of, if you don't know where to find soda lye.

STB extraction is normally used, the easiest one I have seen is Nomans tek with no ammonia wash. Poke around on DMT nexus thouygh, they have rthe definitive resource for DMT extractions.

The best use for P.viridis leaves in my readings seems to be either oral administration or creation of a smokable "changa" with B. caapi vines, not extraction.

i wonder why mhrb powder cannot simply be soaked in isopropyl alcohol and then the alcohol be evaporated?

i wonder why mhrb powder cannot simply be soaked in isopropyl alcohol and then the alcohol be evaporated?

You can extract using isopropyl alcohol, but you still need to basify. In a nut:

1. Evenly mix MHRB powder with an equal amount of sodium carbonate (available as Arm and Hammer washing soda)
2. Put you mixture in a large canning jar
3. Add your IPA to the mixture, seal and then shake the crap out of the jar
4. Leave the jar to sit for a few hours, shaking occasionally. I usually let it sit overnight but this is probably excessive
5. Pour out the IPA into another vessel (I find a pint glass works well), using a coffee filter to collect any solid material
6. Evaporate the IPA in nice flat dish
7. When full evaporated you should be left with a resinous material, anywhere from dark brown to red in colour, this is rich with DMT and other fun mimosa alkaloid but also some residual sodium carbonate and other crap left over. You can smoke it as is or dissolve it in warm IPA and then filter for a purer product

A few things to bear in mind. While this resin is smokable, it not exactly pleasant, I suggest using it to make changa, or taking it orally with an MAOI. You can substitute IPA with acetone and the sodium carbonate with edible lime, the main differences being the constancy of the final product. IPA produces a more solid resin, while the stuff pulled with acetone never seems to dry.

I like this method a lot personally, it's simple and IPA and sodium carbonate are pretty benign when compared to lye and naphtha, they work fine of course and produce a great product, but I'm not the most attentive or dextrous of people and accidents do happen.

Because DMT is an salt-form in the rootbark - you wan't the freebase to smoke.
To convert the salts into freebase, you need to basify.. That's why..

And I would guess that even if DMT salts are soluble in isopropylalcohol, lots of fats/tannins and other unwanted garbage is too.
There are no idea doing this, just eat a whole mimosa root!

No genius needed! Different substances have different solubilities in different solvents. Apparently acetone dissolves some plant components that are waxy/oily/gooey which IPA doesn't dissolve. These are oftentimes apolar plant lipids, waxes and stuff like that (but other substances can exhibit such an appearance too) which would be in line with the solvents polarity (rough rule of thumb: like dissolves like).

IPA and acetone are not good solvents to use. They aren't very selective so you get more side products. not sure why anyone would use anything other than hexanes or pet ether.

IPA and acetone are not good solvents to use. They aren't very selective so you get more side products. not sure why anyone would use anything other than hexanes or pet ether.

I can think of a few good reasons.

Availability, not everyone has access to the usual solvents whereas IPA is pretty much ubiquitous.

If you wish to avoid using lye for your base, then naphtha is no good, another solvent must be used (IPA, acetone, d-limolene for instance).

As you mention there are more side products extracting with IPA and acetone, but this can be a good thing depending on what you're looking for, the full spectrum product is substantially different in effect to the stuff extracted using traditional STB methods, in my experience.

The solubility is just not very good with alcohols, IIRC. You can use that for crude cactus extractions, just not for a nice DMT product.
What´s the big problem with buying a little naphtha at a hardware store?
Sorry but considering the value (not monetary, but just the experience) of DMT, I don't think it's too much to ask to just complete a little shopping list.
If you get the needed materials it saves you the pain in the ass of making a mess and dealing with how to ingest it or the general inferiority of a supercrude product.
Best is to just look up STB teks and comparing notes on them, what seem to be popular ones and which ones make sense. If you're creative you can even combine the smart points from different teks to make your own tek (but maybe that's not for the first time). But it is not rocket science.

Very very simply put:
Instead of an alcohol soak and dry (which yes would be the quickest laziest approach in general, not much more than or very different from making tea and letting it dry), STB means using naphtha instead of alcohol and to basify and mind pH with some strips. The NaOH (lye) is also a common DIY/hardware store product.

But do yourself a favor and look up the full tek.

I have to assume here that if you have a computer and internet and you can order some Amazonian root stuff, you can also get the kitchen materials to complete the shopping list.

OP, the only way you will probably obtain practically smokeable DMT is to do one of the simple straight-to-base extractions.

GOOGLE "THE LAZY MAN'S DMT TEK". NOW!

You can choose either evaporating or prepicitating method, yes.
I prefer freeze prepicitation because you can reuse the solvent and to me it seems like higher purity than evaporating the solvent.

I use a pyrex glass bowl with plasticfilm covering the top.

Closed systems always pose the risk of pressure buildup, but this shouldn't be a real problem if it doesn't get any warmer while closed. A HDPE container would be more flexible than a glass container (plus flying glass pieces are more dangerous ;)) and is reasonably stable towards both naphtha and NaOH. NaOH shouldn't eat away normal plastic rings but you can check chemical compatibility tables. Just to be safe: be prepared for the worst case scenario: burning naphtha, leakage of highly alkaline liquids and solvents, chemical burns.

The freeze precipitation step is highly recommended, the reasons have been mentioned already: better purity, recycling solvent. When nothing more crystallizes after the last pull, you can still evaporate to get any residual product. If you decide to go for freezing, aim for a smaller solvent volume and do more pulls. I'd say it's worth the additional effort.

RE your still open question: some pressure is to be expected, because the room over the liquids in the container is filled with a mixture of naphtha vapors and air: the naphtha vapor pressure adds to the atmospheric pressure. This isn't much but cannot be avoided. Smaller amounts of solvents (about 10 l) are usually stored in glass bottles with thicker walls. So if your container isn't thin-walled and the temperature in your room stays constant for that time, the risk for bursts should be small (can't give you any guarantee ;))

Good luck :)

Last edited:
If you can empty your freezer beforehand then all the better - otherwise you'll be tasting and smelling naptha on every bit of frozen food you eat for the next month.