• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

expired methadone...still work ? make u ill?

Soylent

Bluelighter
I have a lil bit of methadone that ia expired by a few days not only that wasn't even stored in the fridge...i think it even smells a bit off...now...will it stil be effective at all ? Am i gonna have trouble keeping down?

the methadone itself should be ok, but if it smells off that could be a sign of a decent amount of bacteria. It could probably make you feel pretty ill, but at the same time it might be just fine its hard to say

depends on wixch brand but mine smell like chemical shit after a cpl days if i dont take it within the day . i think it corrodes the plastic in the brown 200ml take away bottles

but effect wise it works same

A couple of days isnt long enough for the methadone to degrade and if its in a sugar solution then bacteria shouldnt be an issue.
I think leigh12's explanation is more likely.

If it's smelling a bit "off" then I would advise against taking that. That could indicate ^^bacteria or even chemical breakdown (into nastier chemicals).
hope this helps, good luck

I can't say that your methadone is safe to use as I've never had any that smelt different than it usually does.
I have had a big glass bottle of methadone that had been prescribed to me 5 years earlier. It had been stored in a cool,dark place for all that time.
I used it a few times when I felt I needed a bit extra and it worked just fine and I had no adverse effects from it.

I have used methadone over 2 years old and although it tasted a bit funny it held me fine till I went to the chemist.

I just found a script I had that expired 8/2015.. I also found some old fentanyl patches that expired same time. I put the patch on and didn't feel anything at all.. I'm afraid to take the methadone cause I don't wanna be sick, but I'm out of everything else and I'm gonna be sick anyway if I don't take something.

^ If the methadone prescription you found is in tablet form, they should still be good. The OP mentioned liquid, which I would be leery of.

I doubt there's any serious issue with consuming it. You don't need to store Methadone liquid in the fridge. Room temperature is fine. Methadone clinics routinely prescribe up to two weeks (14 bottles) of Methadone at a time, so they stay good for at least that long.

The more important thing here is that you be careful with the Methadone. Do you have a tolerance OP? Are you aware of how much Methadone is in the bottle and how your Opioid use translates into an appropriate dose of Methadone?