Exercise 4 Health, Mental Health, and Addiction vs. The Endorphin Factory

Slept through my yoga class today (meaning didn't do, as opposed to falling asleep on the mat). Will get there next week!

I had a really good squat session today and then did some back work to finish. Dealing with some right shoulder stiffness, though. I also felt a bit less motivated this week. I mean, I got there each day but I didn't log my food some days and just felt peeved by a lot of little stuff at the gym. Life problems have got me feeling down :(

I plan to go grocery shopping tomorrow morning and buy a week's worth of nutritious food, and then make myself sit down and plan a week of eating. Sometimes doing this will motivate me. Regardless of the actual consequences, sometimes if I eat crappy food for a day or two I will convince myself that it will negatively affect my gym performance, lose the mental edge and then actually have a poor workout.

Going for a long walk this evening. Walking in group can be motivating although it's difficult to talk and walk/run at the same time.

RL- lol thought you meant slept through class
Erikmen- don't hurt your back
Me- I swim today!

Hey everyone...

I am brainstorming right now for a YouTube channel I want to start about fitness within addiction recovery. So aside from my own personal narrative, which do you guys think would be good topics to cover or things to show/do so that I can try and get some early momentum? It could be topics to explore scientifically or it could be emotional themes, feel good/motivation stuff, and so on...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

RL - At what point in withdrawal should you start exercising (standard BL answer is after physical symptoms subside completely and psychological kick in- could be wrong)

@RL,
The soonest possible after the withdrawals. You should start with little and easy exercises, something that you could build a routine. Say 30 minutes walking 4 times a week. Make sure you'll find something pleasurable as well. Anything that can make you happy, a hobby - keep trying until you find it something that makes you happier. It may take you sometime but you'll see how it progresses as times goes by.
Take care!

Received swimming gift package. Swam last night with awesome new goggles that fit perfectly, which is really difficult for me to find. Very happy!

^^ Nowhere else to swim!! BUT I'm hoping to get into really good cardiovascular shape and do some free diving! It will take some work.

Went for swim in UNHEATED pool.
I really hate taking breaks and going back to it. Blah.

Tried treading water with a 20lb iron dumbbell like I did when I used to play HS football. Somehow I forgot to apply basic forethought and logic to this though.. After 3-4 mins in the deep end I realized I was "out of gas" and attempted to get back to edge of pool from deepend with one hand and "dead legs" while holding the dumbbell. Funny how one can push themselves a little farther for things like ...Breathing Air. Totally worth it though.

^ Sounds interesting.

I need to go back to the gym but I have been missing so many swimming hours because of work, or plain tiredness.
I know that going back to the routine would make me instantly better, I just need to take that one minute decision.

More like hilarious E. as I was going to drown before dropping that dumbbell and chipping the pool plaster. Put me in check that I'm not in high school football shape anymore and some revision will be necessary to keep hydro therapy in my weekly regimen.

I hear you about trying to stuff exercise in between work and commitments. Without this latest storm hitting the west coast I probably would have been prepping an electrical job somewhere.

^^ Ah! Chipping the pool plaster. That makes sense. I thought you were all do-or-die attitude.
The actual weather is great. It's 80 right now. But when you have real ocean water that is just filtered and chlorinated, it's soooo cold. It's fine during the day, but it's not easy to do serious swimming then and the sun is brutal.
Okay, inspired by what I thought was a fellow poster's tenacity, I decided to push hard. Arms, legs, separate and together, strength training and heavy cardio... it was great. It really helped pick me up. It's been a really rough day and I needed to somehow feel better.

Did the sit-ups, push-ups and ran on the treadmill. My damn ankle is still swollen because I kinda twisted it, but I still run anyway. The next step is walking outside. Getting outside and taking in the air and nature is necessary. It's like 41 degrees. Cold, but nothing I can't handle. I walk in the cold, it doesn't matter. You just have to get outside and get air for your own health. There is no snow on the ground at least!

Ok so swim fins and goggles = much better swimming / diving. And watching the steam roll off the surface of the water while raindrops danced was not too shabby either. Going to go back to running stairs with a full 5 gal sparklett's bottle this weekend as it makes for a bit more condensed workout fitting of my pertinacity. :)
All of this fun has destroyed my PAWS and I think the endorphin factory is open for business again.

No swimming. :( Moved several thousand pounds of copper wire/ parts in 30-100lb spools / increments out of a flooded store room after giving everybody the day off last night. Going to feel it tomorrow I think.

Alright, alright, there is a pool light and a cool neighbor girl that I've hung out with the last time my buddy threw a party so... maybe I can salvage this weekend after all. %) .•*¨)★ ✿گغ✿¸.•*´¯`♥ღ ღϠ₡ღ✻´´`✻ (¯`✻´¯)♥ S

Last edited: