Exercise 4 Health, Mental Health, and Addiction vs. I worked all that out

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday I went and got dinner with and was talking to one of the guys I meet through AA over the last couple weeks. He happens to be on the track team at the UC, so I talked to him for a bit about running and my progress and how I've been trying to get back in shape after years of letting myself atrophy. I mentioned how yesterday when I ran i didn't really increase the length of time that I went running - but that I increased the pace at which I was running. He explained to me how it's actually sort of a pretty bad idea to start increasing your pace so soon, and that rather it's much safer to stick with the same pace for a while, he recommended a month actually. Said that it's because even if you are capable of running faster, your muscles aren't actually used to it yet and the increased impact is what could cause you to injure yourself if you run to fast too soon. Which made a lot of sense, because I definitely noticed some not so great feelings in my legs during and after running yesterday, and had to ease it back a lot when I went running earlier today.

so anyway, after talking with him, I'm going to stick with the same pace for a few more weeks and if anything just increase the time/distance, just not run any faster. It's a really good point that he made, and I definitely don't want to injure myself.

Did some stretching but decided to hold off on Yoga today, after running. Usually if I'm going to do both in one day I'd do Yoga first anyway, and I ran first today. So just gonna take it easy and do some studying for a few hours.

Oh yeah, also did 50 sit ups, 100 crunches, a 60 second plank and about 50 pushups - total, after running today. That's probably it till tomorrow. Hope everybody else has a good day!

^ that is good advice.. when i first started lifting again I went way to hard on my shoulders and ended up putting on inti spasm/cramp for like twenty hours.. it hurt so bad and then was sore from the spasm for like three weeks. learned my lesson the hard way. cand a damn injury can prevent us from even being to work out and we could end up loosing all we have accomplished.

I do like this thread as when i read it it does motivate me to get to the gym.. So im going to go lift legs and shoulders and ride a stationary bike.

PS where is miss maya? <3

^ Hey yes I did workout last night and the burpees killed me lol.

I am taking a day off tonight cause I have a baby shower I need to attend to so tomorrow will be exercise day. Planning on a full body workout and that includes intense cardio. TGIF everyone!

Just discovered this thread!

Exercise has also got me through some rough patches. Probably wouldn't be here without it. I'm a swimmer. Love the natural endorphin rush and stress relief. Its truly been a game changer. Wouldn't be sober without it.

Healthy eating is great too.. But remember to eat! If you don't eat back your exercise calories you will become extremely fatigued after a while. Then you will start to burn your muscle, not your fat.

It happened to me when I first started and was extremely frustrating. Took a few weeks for me to notice. Did my research.

Now eat my 3-3.5k calories a day and I'm good lol. Gotta eat to gain muscle. If you are exercising it won't become fat.

Also eating right after (literally) makes you less tired and less sore the next day.. Try it! And eating some carbs right before helps.

The last few days have been kind of crappy, we've had some snow and after attempting to run I found a lot of ice on the sides of the road and it made it difficult to run safely so I've just been holding off. This was following a short break (almost 2 weeks) from running so it's kind of a let down but I have walked in replacement.

Also just getting back into my full workout. It's really doing good things for me :)

-dp

So yesterday I went and got dinner with and was talking to one of the guys I meet through AA over the last couple weeks. He happens to be on the track team at the UC, so I talked to him for a bit about running and my progress and how I've been trying to get back in shape after years of letting myself atrophy. I mentioned how yesterday when I ran i didn't really increase the length of time that I went running - but that I increased the pace at which I was running. He explained to me how it's actually sort of a pretty bad idea to start increasing your pace so soon, and that rather it's much safer to stick with the same pace for a while, he recommended a month actually. Said that it's because even if you are capable of running faster, your muscles aren't actually used to it yet and the increased impact is what could cause you to injure yourself if you run to fast too soon. Which made a lot of sense, because I definitely noticed some not so great feelings in my legs during and after running yesterday, and had to ease it back a lot when I went running earlier today.

so anyway, after talking with him, I'm going to stick with the same pace for a few more weeks and if anything just increase the time/distance, just not run any faster. It's a really good point that he made, and I definitely don't want to injure myself.

Did some stretching but decided to hold off on Yoga today, after running. Usually if I'm going to do both in one day I'd do Yoga first anyway, and I ran first today. So just gonna take it easy and do some studying for a few hours.

Oh yeah, also did 50 sit ups, 100 crunches, a 60 second plank and about 50 pushups - total, after running today. That's probably it till tomorrow. Hope everybody else has a good day!

Usually 100s of sit ups/ cruches dont work. Best to work your core into a cardio core programme doing things like high knees (running on the spot raising your knees high), butt kicks, side legs raises with a side crunch standing (don't know the name of the move) but you get the drift. You can't spot body parts. It really doesn't really work like that like.

Your friend gave you good advice re running. Do you run outside or on the treadie. They say if you're running on the treadie put the inclimb by 1 so it's more like running outside. Some people saying running outside is harder because you've the resistance from the wind etc, the ground isn't always smooth n so forth.

Awh sound nsa that that happened. Sometimes we have to learn things the hard way but I'm sure you won't lose all you've accomplished. When you have an injury you can still work out then try not to use the area. There's cycling , swimming, walking n things like squats, lunges, leg raises, kicks (side, front n back), curtsy lunges, leg extension (standing up, bend leg in front of you n then extend it while using your core to balance. In between you could do bouts of cardio like circle runs, over the leg (jumping over something horizontally balancing from 1 leg to the other), running-man, speed/jump squats. That sort of thing.

Evey xxxx

Hey hey guys currently in the gym and I did these so far:

100 squats, 100 chest presses, 40 times bicep curls on both arms, 100 crunches, 100 side heel reaches, 40 bridges and half hour cardio. I'm on to my next hour cardio wish me luck!

Thanks for the advice Evey, I will definitely look into better core work outs. Also, I run outside no treadmill. The first half of my run is ever so slightly uphill (hardly noticeable unless you're on a skateboard) and second half is, obviously, ever so slightly downhill. (really, hardly any incline maybe a few degrees at most.)

If I join a gym I may start doing different things for cardio because running, especially outside, definitely takes it's toll on my legs, beyond my muscles. My knees and joints and my horribly flat feet, I've decided not to run everyday. I'm keeping it every other day to allow myself to recover in between. I was reading today about how you actually end up never gaining any muscle at all if you don't leave time for your body to recover - working out everyday is apparently not just ineffective but counterproductive. So alas, I've said it before and not followed through - but I will definitely try and start to get into an every other day yoga/running routine, maybe working upper body too on the running days and core on the yoga days. A routine that I follow will definitely help, rather than being totally random with things like I've been doing.

I took the last two days off.. the weather here has been utter shit and there were cars fliped over and all over in the ditches. its negative F right now.. so whatever I shoveled a little snow and streached..

But I will be back at it tomorrow..

Try an eliptical out these can do wonders for preventing the ware associated with running.. otherwise I run on a tread mill that is designed to flex., I'm no fly weight and I actually have troubles running on other mills that dont give.. I think I would be in real trouble real quick if I went road running... I do like to trail run though.. can't wait for summer.

^ I am right there with you NSA. I actually like jogging and walking outside in the city. Weird right ?

Summer hiking is something I can't wait for. =D

I like hiking too! We have a short hiking trail at Grouse Mountain:

http://www.grousemountain.com/grousegrind

It is more of a challenge hike for me. I did an hour last time so I want to try to see if I can do 40 min next time and reach the peak. It's only open during summer time and I can't wait to go again!! AFAIK Grouse also has skydiving and other fun activities for pumping your adrenaline so i am working out a lot to get it going.

We also have the Tough Mudder competition and one of my coworkers joined last year. I want to see if I can join this year and challenge myself for obstacle races and other fun stuff. The only reason she was able to do it coz she is lighter and shorter lol!! Yep I get pretty competitive =D

Just discovered this thread!

Exercise has also got me through some rough patches. Probably wouldn't be here without it. I'm a swimmer. Love the natural endorphin rush and stress relief. Its truly been a game changer. Wouldn't be sober without it.

Healthy eating is great too.. But remember to eat! If you don't eat back your exercise calories you will become extremely fatigued after a while. Then you will start to burn your muscle, not your fat.

It happened to me when I first started and was extremely frustrating. Took a few weeks for me to notice. Did my research.

Now eat my 3-3.5k calories a day and I'm good lol. Gotta eat to gain muscle. If you are exercising it won't become fat.

Also eating right after (literally) makes you less tired and less sore the next day.. Try it! And eating some carbs right before helps.

Good advice. Don't forget about your water intake, as well. We've all been told to drink 8 glasses a day, but for those of us who work out, this isn't nearly enough to keep our bodies hydrated. You can't sweat if you are already dehydrated. I drink 2 liters a day, minimum. Haven't had soda for about 10 years. I never drink energy drinks. And I avoid that vitamin water nonsense--you are better off drinking gatorade, which has actual electrolytes instead of just sugar. I keep a 1 liter bottle of regular water in the freezer and let it melt while I'm working out. Delicious.

^ I am right there with you NSA. I actually like jogging and walking outside in the city. Weird right ?

Hiking is one of the things I missed most when I was living in nyc for college. :) But urban walks can be great too, I agree. Sometimes I'll take a day off from yoga and just walk around the city for an hour. You discover things you'd never see otherwise.

^^^ whaaaaaaattttt I live by you.

I used to love hiking when I lived in Jersey, I haven't done as much of it since living in the Bay Area, mostly because I don't have a car yet.

Sooo.... I wanted to spend some money I had saved up on a gym membership - But the Acypaa (all california young people in AA) conference is happening in april, and the main hotel already sold out and the overflow hotel is going fast - I want to go hella bad and so do some of the guys at the SLE where I live so we want to try and book a room tomorrow, but I am one of the only people with money to throw down right now so I may need to put it all towards that for the time being. Was looking forward to the gym membership, but I'll also be looking forward to staying up for 3 days drinking energy drinks partying with thousands of other young n sober people so I suppose the gym will have to wait. Gonna keep doing Yoga and running in the mean time though. I'm so grateful to have a donation based yoga studio near by...

You guys are so motivated!! I love it. I've been doing the "ab challenge" still thanks to maya sending me the info for it :D

^thats great addy keep it up! I can send you another challenge once you have finished so you can keep going at it!

Rest for today/night and back to the gym tomorrow!

absolutely capt.. to tell you the truth I have never gotten over the feeling that I am doing something not natural buy running in a long line of other poeple wh are running but going no ware. I sometimes makes me feel like I am becoming like one of the SHEEP:sus:

Alright I have been slacking and have spent an inordinate amount of time on this damn puter.. So I am off to work out.. stretch. walk, run, lift legs, shoulders, and back.. hit the spa.. and then try not to eat the whole damn fridge..

I have eaten like nothing over the last two days as I seem to not be hungry at all since I haven't worked out.. that and i slept like absolute shit.. but yeah bring on spring.

Can't wait again to go tonight! I pigged out last night so I need to lose extra calories (flabs) =D

One hour cardio and 1000 crunches. This is the first time I am going to try to do 1000 wish me luck guyz!!

Status
Not open for further replies.