• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Examples of safe items for use as cookers and mixers for IV users

Jericovice

Greenlighter
Hello and welcome, since there is so much intriguing content to review on the site this is the first thread I've started so I am kinda jittery about doing it well. This idea came to me after sterilizing my prep space and realizing that I had completely forgotten that I didn't have any cookers from the exchange left and I had forgotten to grab any kind of container to prepare the solution in. After the initial thought of correcting this error by going to grab a spoon to sterilize. I thought of Bluelight, and wondered if anyone might have a different suggestion of what to use for this purpose. I started using general search, then advanced search, finally using forum search on everything but non drug categories (tried for about 30 min total) while using as many different varieties for phrasing what I wanted that I could think of. Then took approx. the same time trying something similar with google search which always had the same sites in different order as far as the first 3 pages were concerned no matter what I did, I even tried images just in case.

What I found is that the examples that were given were spoons, soda cans, bottle caps, and other metal containers. It may seem strange, but this bothered me a bit. To me spoons if cleaned properly don't seem like they are a terrible idea if you don't have packaged cookers, but even though I had heard the other items before I never really thought of using them despite any method of cleaning even as a last resort. The only new information I found was that one should avoid using a silver spoon for prep because they tarnish quickly (Specific to Heroine due to heating it perhaps? If not then from a chemical reaction to impurities? no explanation was given) and can lead to dirty shots. I also noticed that the examples of cookers for Heroine and mixers for Amphetamines were identical. I thought this very strange that there were no other suggestions even when looking at pages created specifically for Methamphetamine and IV use, thinking there must be other acceptable items since it only requires water to break down.

So my questions now are: Does anyone have any ideas for items used as safe and efficient cookers for either/both substance(s)? If silver is a bad idea, does anyone know of other metals or any materials to avoid that would not be obvious to most. Is there anything I neglected that seems important about this topic that can be suggested. I look forward to your thoughts as I have really been trying to think of examples for the first question through this whole process and came up with nada so far.

I did not bother to link any source material as much of the info I found was very general and repetitive and the info about avoiding silver didn't have a proper explanation. The best part about this is even if there isn't a single view or reply that for the last 90 min or so I did this instead of getting high, and now I feel like I should continue to resist by finding another distraction. Silver lining of the day. Thanks for reading hope it's considered a good attempt, stay awesome Bluelighters.

Alright! It's very nice to see a reply. Just as an attempt for the best version possible I would suggest a cap from any form of alcohol at least 80 proof and preferably higher only since it may increase the chances of being slightly more sanitary to begin with than a beer cap. Though it is unknown to me whether its a notable difference, it makes me feel better at least to think it would easier to be sure of cleansing properly. That's just me though, I've become a kinda OCD about my prep station and materials over time. Please note this whole bit hadn't even occurred to me till reading your post, Thank you ovo1024 it's truly appreciated.

I just buy a coke can ,drink it , then rip it into half (so you can apply a flame inside), clean the bottom/underside (whhich will become te top of your cooker with a alcohol swab and I'm all set.

I only use BD's plunger (which is sterile) for mixing/stirring

To BingeBoy: Great explanation of the process for modifying and cleansing. If followed I feel one could be reliably certain that this item is safe for use as a cooker. Thank you for the suggestion, and especially for the explanation. (I think its kinda cool that I got a comment from a crew member you made my day).

To Burnt Offerings
: Thank you I appreciate your comment as well. Not that I'm trying to be rude, I kinda hoped it would offer an additional suggestion, and ask that if any come to mind please add them.

P.S. I really appreciate the feedback from everybody it lets me know that this was actually a good question.. I would have just private messaged instead of posting back but with the delay time and quantity limit it is a bit trying on my patience, and aside from that I often use them up asking questions.

Last edited:
I've got a great one - contact lens cases . The bottoms are concave which leads to being able to pull up all of your liquid with no loss . It also comes with handy tops to close to case in (case) you need to move or store your liquid quickly .

Since i've discovered them it's all I use now.

I don't believe there is ever a need to use heat when IV'ing something , black tar can be broken down with warm water and citric acid . Pills, never . Anything else it's unnecessary .

-lenses

^
we need heat to break down #3 , technically you could do it with lukewarm water from the tap (which is not sterile) and like half an hour but what junkie has half an hour to spare?

also the plastic will scratch which might lead to bacterial growth and whatnot.

The needle exchanges up here (North East US) give away what appear to be unused candle cups for tiny candles or maybe some type of unused 40oz beer cap. They are meant to be sterile for first use at least but I use to have alcohol wipes for cleaning mine if it was in a less then desirable area.

When I didnt have those I used the plunger cap and I always used the rubber part of the plunger for mixing. It is worth noting that if you are the type to reuse, which is always inadvisable but as junkies we get ourselves into situations, using the rubber part will wear it out faster.

It is worth noting that if you are the type to reuse, which is always inadvisable but as junkies we get ourselves into situations

You really should never reuse a needle more then one. It might not seem like a big deal until you see what the needle tip looks like under a microscope...

o3mv1.png

The needle exchanges up here (North East US) give away what appear to be unused candle cups for tiny candles or maybe some type of unused 40oz beer cap. They are meant to be sterile for first use at least but I use to have alcohol wipes for cleaning mine if it was in a less then desirable area.

have you tried your local exchange? theres one in my city that gives away everything from crack pipe kits (brillo and pusher included) to meth pipes to naloxone in case of an overdose.

You really should never reuse a needle more then one. It might not seem like a big deal until you see what the needle tip looks like under a microscope...

I think we have all seen those pictures, I am curious have you ever been addicted to heroin? Obviously I would try my best not to reuse needles but i would keep a draw of single used needles for the inevitable situation where i dont have a fresh one at 3am. When your addicted to dope you bend the rules and yes i was a part of the needle exchange program, they gave me 40 fresh ones for the exchange of them but that was once a week and split between my girl we had 20 each for a week, just enough to make it through provided i went weekly.

I would never advocate reusing needles just sharing my experiences and even though i tried my hardest there would still be crunch times where i had to reuse.

*edit* it should also be added that in my young junkie days before i knew where to get things i would reuse needles way way longer then i care to admit, you can physically feel the barb on the end form. You can feel it tare the vein and get caught on the skin when you pull up like a fishing hook. It also creates a decent sized raised bump through irritation so even if you havent seen the pictures you can feel it. God i would squirm from the feeling of jabbing the vein with a bent needle tip... but in those situations i could fix up the shot from the fluids coming out of me i was so sick (if they were sterile and not gross) ... yeah not memories i care to dwell on (over a year clean now :) )

Last edited: