• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ether? What is it? Safe? Easy to get?

Bumbobean

Bluelighter
I watched the movie Fear and Loathing again today and it just made me curious about ether. When I went to research it I couldn't find much information on it. Anyone have any good links?

when i was a freshman in college i soaked some paper towels in diethyl either which i stole from my chem lab. however, no amount of huffing these towels had any noticeable affects. anyone know what i did wrong?

diethyl ether is the active ingredient in Starting Fluid. Usually when huffers use ether they are referring to starting fluid. Comes in a spray can at the auto store or grocery store in some areas.

I dont recommend this activity as it would destroy alot of brain cells and is a horrible idea, but thats where they get it from.

ladyinthesky said:
ether is kinda nasty and not worth losing the brain cells lol
Chemethist said:
diethyl ether is the active ingredient in Starting Fluid. Usually when huffers use ether they are referring to starting fluid. Comes in a spray can at the auto store or grocery store in some areas.

I dont recommend this activity as it would destroy alot of brain cells and is a horrible idea, but thats where they get it from.
Well, I just saw it in a movie, Fear and Loathing, and was curious. I'll do a few days or reading up on it before I consider trying it.

Is it mostly a psychedelic or what?

yeah if you just huff starting fluid your a dumbfuck but straight ether is a bit more safe i would think

Bumbobean said:
Well, I just saw it in a movie, Fear and Loathing, and was curious. I'll do a few days or reading up on it before I consider trying it.

Is it mostly a psychedelic or what?

dude, if you saw the movie, you'd realize what it does. it's not really psychedelic.

it's a "turn you into a fucking idiot" drug. probably pretty damn entertaining to use, but also probably goes nowhere fast (at least that's what i got from the movie). one of my old chemistry teachers used to abuse it, but he said it wasnt worth the temporary feeling of brain damage he got after he was done

from erowid: a guide to doing ether safely

Etherfool said:
--"Don't do ether with people who aren't doing it. period. if they aren't doing it, but they just want to watch, tell them to get the fuck out, because they will try to commit you to an asylum, because they don't understand what is happening, all they know is, you are totally fucked up and acting like JIF extra crunchy peanut butter(totally nutty).

--Don't have ciggarette time anywhere near ether. you don't want to die, because then you wouldn't be able to do anymore ether.

--Don't flip your shit. just calm down and enjoy it. it's fun. and don't be an angry ether fein. i hate when people get angry on drugs. i think it defeats the entire purpose.

--Don't talk to people while you are fucked up, if they aren't as fucked up as you are.

--Take a shower when you get done. you smell like a fucking exxon station.

--Don't try to go do something. if you go even a short distance like from your back yard to the front and out to the mailbox and back to the backyard again, it will take you what seems like a couple hours(not really, it just seems that way, but things can go horribly wrong in that short amount of time.) and don't try to drive. i don't want to die. "

absent minded said:
yeah if you just huff starting fluid your a dumbfuck but straight ether is a bit more safe i would think
I was wondering that... Because I know I have some out in the garage for my lawn mower in the winter. Didn't ever realize it was used this way!

Newmoonrecord said:
dude, if you saw the movie, you'd realize what it does. it's not really psychedelic.

it's a "turn you into a fucking idiot" drug. probably pretty damn entertaining to use, but also probably goes nowhere fast (at least that's what i got from the movie). one of my old chemistry teachers used to abuse it, but he said it wasnt worth the temporary feeling of brain damage he got after he was done

from erowid: a guide to doing ether safely

Originally Posted by Etherfool

--"Don't do ether with people who aren't doing it. period. if they aren't doing it, but they just want to watch, tell them to get the fuck out, because they will try to commit you to an asylum, because they don't understand what is happening, all they know is, you are totally fucked up and acting like JIF extra crunchy peanut butter(totally nutty).

--Don't have ciggarette time anywhere near ether. you don't want to die, because then you wouldn't be able to do anymore ether.

--Don't flip your shit. just calm down and enjoy it. it's fun. and don't be an angry ether fein. i hate when people get angry on drugs. i think it defeats the entire purpose.

--Don't talk to people while you are fucked up, if they aren't as fucked up as you are.

--Take a shower when you get done. you smell like a fucking exxon station.

--Don't try to go do something. if you go even a short distance like from your back yard to the front and out to the mailbox and back to the backyard again, it will take you what seems like a couple hours(not really, it just seems that way, but things can go horribly wrong in that short amount of time.) and don't try to drive. i don't want to die. "

Sounds like some good advice.

Is it allowed to ask for links or info on extracting ether? I'm having a hard time finding something solid or reliable.

I'd greatly appreciate it, if not, just forget I asked.

Bumbobean said:
Is it allowed to ask for links or info on extracting ether? I'm having a hard time finding something solid or reliable.

I'd greatly appreciate it, if not, just forget I asked.

it's relatively easy to extract via a fractional distillation column, if you have access to an chemistry setup (on the other hand, if you have access to such a setup you probably have access to plentiful ether itself).

the bottom line being:

1. dont try to distill ether from starter fluid.

2. dont huff starter fluid. you'll be inhaling random petroleum products which are far more dangerous than ether itself.

as far as i know, pure diethyl ether isnt a controlled substance in the united states, and it's definitely not a watched chemical.

Here's a nasty little fact about diethyl ether. It can react with the oxygen in air to form peroxides that spontaneously combust. Given that ether's already flammable as fuck, I'd say it's something best avoided.

huffing_paint.jpg

A bad idea

I've had some lab experience with ether when I've breathed a few too many fumes. It felt the same as when I assembled models as a kid and inhaled too many fumes. Just dizzy and a bit nauseous.

However, you need to realize that ether is really flammable, not just ordinary flammable like ethanol/methanol but something that you don't ever want to put near an open flame. Every organic chemistry lab has some story they like to tell undergrads about an ether explosion from a spark or a flame - and they know what they're doing...

Groovy guru said:
I've had some lab experience with ether when I've breathed a few too many fumes. It felt the same as when I assembled models as a kid and inhaled too many fumes. Just dizzy and a bit nauseous.

However, you need to realize that ether is really flammable, not just ordinary flammable like ethanol/methanol but something that you don't ever want to put near an open flame. Every organic chemistry lab has some story they like to tell undergrads about an ether explosion from a spark or a flame - and they know what they're doing...
Quoted for truth!