• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Emerging

So glad to hear things are promising with the partial hospitalization program. I was in a similar program for a month exactly a year, it was very helpful.

You asked about klonopin. I've been on it for a long time and it has helped me a great deal. Personally I find it much more useful than xanax--xanax is great if you're trying to tamp down a panic attack. But outside of that, the longer acting benzos like klonopin have a broader spectrum of utility. Also, klonopin is a bit less prone to abuse and addiction.

So glad to hear things are promising with the partial hospitalization program. I was in a similar program for a month exactly a year, it was very helpful.

You asked about klonopin. I've been on it for a long time and it has helped me a great deal. Personally I find it much more useful than xanax--xanax is great if you're trying to tamp down a panic attack. But outside of that, the longer acting benzos like klonopin have a broader spectrum of utility. Also, klonopin is a bit less prone to abuse and addiction.

Thank you! Me too. I have a good feeling about it.

I'm glad to hear that it's helped you! The doctor was telling me that the Klonopin lasts much longer than Xanax. I'm just curious, though, what would I do if I DO have a panic attack, and I no longer have that "rescue" medication? If that makes sense. I should have voiced that to the doctor before I left, but it didn't even cross my mind at the time.

I don't have panic attacks very often. But I have always found klonopin to be quite helpful for them. Clonazepam (the active ingredient in klonopin) is slower to take effect than alprozolam (xanax's active ingredient). But the difference isn't huge. On the occasions when I've used klonopin during an anxiety attack, I let it dissolve under my tongue instead of swallowing it. I'm not sure if this is really any faster, but it made me feel better :)

Also, and more importantly, during times she. My anxiety is really high, my doc has me take klonopin proactively...say, two or there times per day. This has been very effective for me. And it takes advantage of klonopin's long half life in exactly the way it's intended.

If you don't mind my asking, how has your doc directed you to take it? And how would you describe your anxiety these days?

That's great to hear that you're doing so well beebox. You're doing an amazing job.

I took Klonopin when I had a few severe panic attacks. My ER doc prescribed it to me. He told me if I needed it to work more rapidly that I could put it under my tongue. Now I don't have any experience with benzos so I don't know if he was just saying that to make me feel better or something but it seemed to kick in faster. Also didn't taste half bad or at least the ones I had didn't so that was nice.

You're amazing and strong. I look forward to seeing your progress beebox ?

Edit: I just noticed Simco mention the same thing about letting it dissolve under your tongue.

I don't have panic attacks very often. But I have always found klonopin to be quite helpful for them. Clonazepam (the active ingredient in klonopin) is slower to take effect than alprozolam (xanax's active ingredient). But the difference isn't huge. On the occasions when I've used klonopin during an anxiety attack, I let it dissolve under my tongue instead of swallowing it. I'm not sure if this is really any faster, but it made me feel better :)

Also, and more importantly, during times she. My anxiety is really high, my doc has me take klonopin proactively...say, two or there times per day. This has been very effective for me. And it takes advantage of klonopin's long half life in exactly the way it's intended.

If you don't mind my asking, how has your doc directed you to take it? And how would you describe your anxiety these days?

I used to put Xanax under my tongue to get it to work faster! I'll remember to do that when I have a panic attack with the Klonopin, too. Thanks for the tip!

To start, he has me taking .5mg twice a day. He also adjusted my other medications - Prozac from 40mg to 20mg for 7 days and then increase to 40mg once a day, and Zyprexa from 15 to 5mg at night.

That's great to hear that you're doing so well beebox. You're doing an amazing job.

I took Klonopin when I had a few severe panic attacks. My ER doc prescribed it to me. He told me if I needed it to work more rapidly that I could put it under my tongue. Now I don't have any experience with benzos so I don't know if he was just saying that to make me feel better or something but it seemed to kick in faster. Also didn't taste half bad or at least the ones I had didn't so that was nice.

You're amazing and strong. I look forward to seeing your progress beebox 

Edit: I just noticed Simco mention the same thing about letting it dissolve under your tongue.

You're so kind. Thank you so much. I have many bad days where I'm not very strong. Today just happened to be a good day all around. But I really am trying this time. It feels different.

You are doing great Beebox. I can't wait to be able to get out to some 12 step meetings. Just for the support and to be around people that are going through the same things.

You are doing great Beebox. I can't wait to be able to get out to some 12 step meetings. Just for the support and to be around people that are going through the same things.

Thank you. :) I've been doing some online meetings on the Smart Recovery site. They're pretty cool. I'm slowly working up the courage to go to live AA meetings again. Maybe once I finish this group treatment. It does help to be around those who understand and empathize.

Letters to Myself

So, in group my assignment the other day was to write a letter to myself filled with empathy, appreciation, and forgiveness. It was one of the hardest things I'd ever written and it took me all evening. I kept having to step away. But I finished it. I read it in group today and the amount of support I received after reading it, as well as talking about my PTSD relating to my last relationship. This is why I believe in the kindness of strangers.

Anyway, I wanted to share the letter with all of you:

My Dearest,

You've carried the burden of one hundred suns. A load far too heavy to haul alone, and so lonely. Thirty-one years of heaviness and undoing, thirty-one years of living in fear, thirty-one years of constantly running and always losing, thirty-one years of being stabbed in the back, thirty-one years of being invaded and spat out and run over, thirty-one years of being controlled and manipulated and used by lovers, lovers, lovers, thirty-one years of playing the peacekeeper, thirty-one years spent afraid of the unknown, thirty-one years a perfectionist, thirty-one years and never enough, thirty-one years and thirty-trillion tears.

You are allowed to feel what you're feeling. Your thoughts and emotions are valid, your heart is important, and your soul is priceless. You are allowed to mourn losses and celebrate wins. May you cry until there are no tears left to be shed, until you've bled yourself dry of every fiber and every fibril plaguing your beautiful and broken heart. May you laugh until your face goes numb, not by toxins and fabrications, but by pure and unadulterated joy.

You've made choices in your life because you were hurting or running or avoiding or wanting to escape or not knowing how to cope, and there's no going back in time to change those choices now. But do you know what's so important, so admirable? You're working to repair your life, to right your wrongs, to change for the better. You beat yourself up far too much, my love. You say your mantra is to "Help each other. Love everyone. Everyleaf. Every ray of light. Forgive." yet you never apply that to yourself. Isn't it time you try?

You have taken on mountains of guilt - guilt which doesn't even belong to you. You have loathed yourself so much, so frequently, that you blame yourself for everything. It is not your fault that men have consumed you. It is not your fault that you've been addicted. It's not your fault that you have been abused. It's not your fault that your kindness has been seen as weakness, nor is it weak to see the good in everybody.

My darling girl, you are worthy of love and light and joy and excitement. You are worthy of being adored. Your self-worth does not hinge on the tongue of a lover, but instead it lies in you - and you will find it if only you look deep enough. You are worthy of tenderness and sympathy and understanding. You are worthy of patience. Your heart needn't be caged anymore; a mourning dove with wings like those should only be soaring.

Be kind to yourself. Celebrate yourself. There's a reason you're still alive, even if you don't know what it is right now. It isn't your time yet, so stop running. Breathe in the world around you. This is only the beginning.

I love you to the moon and back,

Your Inner-Peace

In twenty-five minutes I will be thirty days sober!!! It's gone by extremely fast. It still feels like just yesterday I was lying in bed thinking I was going to die. Yet here I am. Surviving and thriving. I really appreciate everyone's support on here. I know I say it all the time, but you all are one of the reasons I believe in the kindness of strangers. Thank you for allowing to share pieces of myself with you.

Happy 30 days!!!! We are likewise glad to have you. We need more female role models in SL, and you (TWP also comes to mind) are so refreshing in that regard. Regardless of whatever the ups and downs of recovery bring you, we are equally grateful for having you a part of this community.

You've got a great attitude about this, which is so incredibly useful through the good times and the bad. Keep up the great work! How you gonna celebrate? Manicure? ;) :D

Btw I just noticed you above letter you shared with us. WOW! That is just beautiful. So incredibly cool :)

Congratulations Bee! More than anything, I am glad that you have regained your hopefulness and joy.<3

I went though that after meth... Must have told myself " No more negative thoughts" hundreds of times a day. And yet still they crept in. Yet after a while you began to re-pattern the negative thoughts. It takes time...

R13

beebox, right now you have a golden opportunity to confront old thought patterns of self-loathing. That has got to be the most destructive thing we humans have to deal with. But it is learned so it can be unlearned. The first step is to question the thoughts when they come up. It's a hard process to describe but it feels almost like leaving your mind and stepping outside of it to observe. Like listening to a friend say, "I'm such a failure." You would automatically have a different response than when you are inside the thought and taking it as a fact or truth about yourself without question. Since self-loathing habits are so much a part of addiction and mental imbalances like depression--it literally is the food these conditions need to live on--it is imperative to confront it and start to shift your internal language from shame and blame to encouragement and support. Stay strong, beebox!

Keep going... Don't look back till its a faded memory. Grats on the progress.

R13

In twenty-five minutes I will be thirty days sober!!! It's gone by extremely fast. It still feels like just yesterday I was lying in bed thinking I was going to die. Yet here I am. Surviving and thriving. I really appreciate everyone's support on here. I know I say it all the time, but you all are one of the reasons I believe in the kindness of strangers. Thank you for allowing to share pieces of myself with you.

Happy 30 days!!!! We are likewise glad to have you. We need more female role models in SL, and you (TWP also comes to mind) are so refreshing in that regard. Regardless of whatever the ups and downs of recovery bring you, we are equally grateful for having you a part of this community.

You've got a great attitude about this, which is so incredibly useful through the good times and the bad. Keep up the great work! How you gonna celebrate? Manicure? ;) :D

Btw I just noticed you above letter you shared with us. WOW! That is just beautiful. So incredibly cool :)

Thank you so much. :) Thank you for accepting me. I'm really glad to be here. I'm so glad this place exists.

Oh, a manicure sounds like an awesome way to celebrate! I might do that and buy my favorite raw juices from Beyond!

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the letter. It was an emotional roller coaster to write!

That's awesome beebox. Keep up the good work. I need to be more empathetic, understanding and forgiving of myself. I tend to be extremely hard on my self (everyone always tells me this) and I take everything personal. A book that really helped me that I need to read again was the 4 agreements.

Congrats on 30 days, beebox! <3. That is such a huge milestone.

Also, I wanted to say that I just read the letter you wrote to yourself, and it's beautiful. As others have said, it's really wonderful to have you in the community. You're doing great.

Indeed. I really really loved that letter. It says a hell of a lot (of positive things) about the OP's exceptional character, and the reflective tone is actually very useful in processing such difficult emotions.