Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Elderly manufacture illegal euthanasia drug

erosion

Bluelight Crew
Elderly manufacture illegal euthanasia drug
The Age
May 8. 2007

HUNDREDS of elderly Australians planning to end their lives when they can no longer care for themselves are conspiring to manufacture an illegal euthanasia drug.

The ABC's Four Corners program last night said that about 800 elderly people are waiting to get involved in making the drug, nembutal, in backyard laboratories, with at least four to be established soon in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Wollongong.

About 100 other older Australians were engaged in illegally importing the drug from the Mexican border town of Tijuana, close to the US city of San Diego.

Nembutal is used by veterinarians to sedate or euthanase animals, but was available for human use in Australia until 10 years ago.

Illegal possession of the prohibited drug carries a maximum penalty of two years' jail.

One of the manufacturers, Bron Norman, said the drug should be available for those who wish to commit suicide when they have outlived their useful life. "It's outrageous that we've been forced into this position because we can't legally obtain a drug that will give us a peaceful death when we want one," she told the ABC.

"It's not illegal to end your life. Why is it illegal to have the drug that will do it?"

A clandestine nembutal lab has been established in the southern highlands of NSW by Bron Norman and others, who chipped in $2000 each. It took the group about two years to manufacture the drug.

Link

I don't see why they don't just use opiates. They're going through the trouble of manufacturing their own barbiturate, when I'm sure opiates, even illicit heroin, is much more readily available and would do the job just as well.

Wow, that's intense lol. Making clandestine labs to kill yourself - very interesting. I hope they don't get punished for this. They just wanted to kill themselves in a cult-esque fashion :(

Really, why only this barb. Any killer drug would work;) Perhaps, Nembutol is the, otherwise "accepted and tested" drug for this purpose, and with predictable lack of painful side fx and outcome. Perhaps, a large dose of heroin could hurt or kill you (ie its not as safe!)

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chubba75 said:
Or eat 2 months supply of there xanax at once and then scull a bottle of vodka.

Or blow their head off with a firearm.

Anyone who has tried nembutal or seconal will know why it's the best option. Totally peaceful, no horrible mangled body for others to deal with, little to no chance of failure, not painful/stressful. [mod edit: too much detail, Harm reduction ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Barbs are also a good choice because there is no antgonist that can be given to bring the person back. Someone who has attempted suicide with opiates can be revived using narcan. Benzos and opiates, while easy to OD on, are more unpredictable and will not always do the trick, especally since someone late in life who has a terminal disease could quite possibly have a very high opiate tolerance making OD with opiates very difficult. Barbiturates are a much better option for suicide than any other drug. Obviously there are many drugs out there that could kill you, but few if any that could do it as efficiently and painlessly as barbiturates.

seems a lot of effort,
do they not have carbon monoxide in Australia? I ahve heard the synthesis is pretty easy even a bunch of suicidal geriatrics could do it, probably in less than 2 years too 8(

Carbon monoxide, while effective, is not readily transportable & does make the corpse look a mess. I understand that when his supply of barbs was cut off, Dr. Kevorkian turned to CO.
BTW Cyanide salts work the same way as CO and are more transportable. Either way, it's still a poor second choice.

Its a publicity stunt to get the topic into the publics attention and hopefully legalize assisted suicide.
Do you really believe geriatrics are clandestinly ordering precursors and lab equipment online and doing synths in their garages? Nigga please.

Cyanides and CO are nasty, messy poisons, granted they are pretty quick, but pretty painful, they inhibit the ability of haemoglobin to transport oxygen, and asphyxiate you.

Barbs would be much cleaner, I was "brought back" in hospital, and I have no recollection of any pain, or panic, just fading out.

(edit: from a barbital OD)

garuda said:
Its a publicity stunt to get the topic into the publics attention and hopefully legalize assisted suicide.
No synthesis discussion. You know better - n4k33n

trip.more said:
This just seems kind of sad.

We've got lots of birth control... why not have death control, too? The hell if I wanna suffer through a degenerative terminal disease..

Edit - no synthesis discussion - n4k33n

But you're using a chemist as an example, I fully believe a 110 year old chemist would have the knowledge and connections to do this.
But an average terminal patient? Bullshit, my mother in law is probably terminal right now and she can't even get out of bed.
Do you really think the average terminal patient could pull this off?

It does not mention anywhere in that article that the people involved in this case are terminal. To me it sounds like they are talking about normal people who are not yet sick. I know MANY people who would rather off themselves if they were to ever start showing signs of dementia. I have a feeling this article is refering to people with that same state of mind.

Last edited:
garuda said:
Do you really believe geriatrics are clandestinly ordering precursors and lab equipment online and doing synths in their garages? Nigga please.

what some people will do for strong moral and ethical convictions, you wouldn't believe...not to mention the money. 8)