• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Elavil and Opiates

CocksuckerNJ

Bluelighter
Hey, I'm on methadone and i have some elavil lying around. I was wondering, why are there so many people interested in elavil. I've never taken these two together, so maybe i'm missing something out. But is there something i'm missing out about elavil (Amitriptyline)? please let me know.
Thanks

ami can make you ...... no isee no recreational potential in these at all. maybe it will potentiate the nod, as its used in lowdoses for sleeping... dont see the point really and it will most likely be dangerous as its another depressant.

Are you asking about whether it's safe to combine amitriptyline with methadone or just asking about amitriptyline in general?

I dont know if elavil is safe to mix with methadone but i do know that it is used to potentiate the analgesic effects of opiates. It can be very sedating also.

Are you asking about whether it's safe to combine amitriptyline with methadone or just asking about amitriptyline in general?
Yes, to combine. On one board I saw that it lighthearted it, I wanted to know if that's how everyone felt about it.

I take it everyday, and i'm on fent. Of course, i don't see any differents now, but as i remember, in the beginning, it made me sleepy, very sleepy, but it didn't give me any kind of euphoria, i don't think it has any recreational use, but it helps with the pain, and it makes you VERY sleepy..i don't suggest you to take it, but if you take it, don't overdo it...Merry Christmas my friend:)

MartinFn

It will potentiate but don't increase the dose of Elavil above the prescribed limits, amitriptyline is notorious for overdoses, often fatal.

Updating the BL record as I am interested in this myself since I just started amitriptyline for pain from ketamine induced bladder cystitis.... apparently Amitriptyline potentiates analgesia of opiates, not sure if that equates to euphoria though. I will he trying to combo soon and report. Here is a link to the medical paper talking about potentiation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6219612/

Anyone else have experience with this combo?

All I know is I used to be prescribed both of those back in the day. I used to be a musician and would play till quite late. I would take my dose when I'd get home and sit down to watch some TV, to unwind you know. Invariably I would wake up hours later with the TV still on and a full drink next to me and not remember when I fell asleep or anything. Be careful as they have ZERO recreational value and will definitely knock you out. At least it happens that way with the vast majority of folks. Good luck OP!

There seems to be no synergy with opiates...other than the nod. But no extra euphoria. I tried with hydrocodone.

I did smoke weed with it one night and was having closed eye visuals that were not normal for weed. But I've read the combo with weed causes panic attacks.

I spent a couple years on elavil at one point. Was also using opiates druring this period pretty heavily. Never noticed it making it any more potent. But it could be due to the tolerance id grown for the elavil. I'd mainly used that medication as a sleeping aid, which it performs well as.

I spent a couple years on elavil at one point. Was also using opiates druring this period pretty heavily. Never noticed it making it any more potent. But it could be due to the tolerance id grown for the elavil. I'd mainly used that medication as a sleeping aid, which it performs well as.

how were the withdrawals from this medications? what was your dosage? I've read some horror stories about WD from this. Whatever though if it helps my pain and mood I'll stay on it forever

i've only been on it for a week, i was reading it takes 6-8 weeks to fully kick in for nerve pain.

re opiates, i'm barely dependent on opioids right now, i've noticed it makes skipping days and sleeping on opiate skipping days very easy.

how were the withdrawals from this medications? what was your dosage? I've read some
horror stories about WD from this. Whatever though if it helps my pain and mood I'll stay on it forever

i've only been on it for a week, i was reading it takes 6-8 weeks to fully kick in for nerve pain.

re opiates, i'm barely dependent on opioids right now, i've noticed it makes skipping days and sleeping on opiate skipping days very easy.

The withdrawal from Elavil was a very unpleasant experience. I had to lower my dosage to the point that i was breaking the pills in half before jumping off. The symptoms are reminiscent of SSRI withdrawls, a lack of restful sleep. Spent most days with anxiety. It actually took me a few attempts before i was able to break free for good.

I'd actually received a sizable amount of etizolam and took heavy doses and transitioned back into another benzo addiction. Probably not the greatest decision. Now i take gabapentin alone for nerve pain and it works.

Probably will never take elavil again.

The withdrawal from Elavil was a very unpleasant experience. I had to lower my dosage to the point that i was breaking the pills in half before jumping off. The symptoms are reminiscent of SSRI withdrawls, a lack of restful sleep. Spent most days with anxiety. It actually took me a few attempts before i was able to break free for good.

I'd actually received a sizable amount of etizolam and took heavy doses and transitioned back into another benzo addiction. Probably not the greatest decision. Now i take gabapentin alone for nerve pain and it works.

Probably will never take elavil again.

what was your max sustained dosage?