View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Eating shrooms for the first time tomorrow need advice

lamron

Greenlighter
I'm new to Bluelight but tomorrow I will be buying an eighth and I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer

Should I eat the whole eighth at once?

What things do I need to do to prep for my trip?

If I shouldn't eat the eighth what dose do you recommend for a first timer?

I plan on eating the mushrooms around 10 pm and just chilling at my house watching movies playing league or css is this a good way to trip? will this make me have a bad trip sitting in front of my computer?

Sorry if these are stupid questions and im also not that new to psychedelics i've done acid a couple of times and dxm(i dont know if you can consider than a pyschedelic)

Hopefully you guys can give me some tips :)

2-3 grams if they are dry.

have a cosy set up in a room, maybe a few lava lamps or cool lighting with a bean bag or 2. Doing something passive like watching a film would probably be better than interacting with people. Better yet, get some friends round and do them with them, would be a much better experience.

If you have done acid u sort of know what to expect. You'll have a great time :)

If you have done acid numerous times you will be fine on shrooms and have nothing to worry about, especially with 2-3 grams you will most likely encounter a mild experience. Your setting sounds good. So enjoy your trip!

^ Bad harm reduction :|

Hi and welcome to Bluelight / PD :)

Officially the recommendation is to always try a half dose (a full dose being an eighth) first but I think you can extend that to 3/4 of an eight, and let that be the maximum. The reason 3-3.5 g or an eighth is often considered a full dose may be because:
- for very experienced trippings that may seem reasonable after a while to call a unit of dosage
- in smartshops where magic mushrooms are sold, they give you enough to have any kind of trip from a light one to a heavy one. That does not mean beginners should take a heavy one right away at all, and they instruct you so - that's what I meant by officially. The same advice is given by a drug user information institute taskforce I worked with, they were for real, not some goverment propagandist BS.

There is a factor of variable potency anyway so you might be very overwhelmed or underwhelmed anyway. Make sure you don't take a full 1/8 of very potent ones, some find mushrooms quite easy to handle but for others it can be really intense and mindfucky, that may sound interesting but it can be very difficult.

Please use our Beginner's FAQ for more general help.

To prepare for you trip you can read the Big & Dandy Set & Setting Thread a little to see what kind of safety measures are best taken. You will find major centralized threads by first going to the Psychedelic Index, then searching for it (use Control+F), search term "setting" for example, then browse to -in this case - the 3rd hit on the page.

Likewise check out the trip / tripping activities thread also listed there.

Sitting in front of your computer in itself shouldn't produce a bad trip, but it all depends on where you take it from there. You can get very fascinating by everyday stuff and go investigate it, if you have the freedom to just roam around without having to use normal sober behavior, and while feeling safe and trusting.... it should be fine. But if you are constricted and cannot leave for a short walk outside (definitely go outside when you can, but just not ideally when you are tripping extremely hard if you don't have a tripsitter), or if you have to be quiet because you live at home and your parents cannot find out... that is all totally NOT-free and amounts to a bad set and setting. Which is conductive to negative headspace and trips.

Don't only game or watch movies, that is just such a distraction from the rest of the trip going on inside you... sure you can spend a little time on it, but definitely also just allow yourself to lie down, put on awesome music (get tips if you don't have any fit for the job - there are very psychedelic classics like Shpongle) and just be fine letting every feeling and thought happen. When you go in a more passive and meditative mode like that incredible things happen.
Also try doing something creative like drawing, lots of fun. Playing around with light sources in the dark is also fantastic, but must be done safely! Hence: glowsticks.

I would eat the whole eighth too

I would also recommend taking them with some friends and making sure you have some sort of activities for all of you to participate in I.e. movies, music, cool lighting etc the only reason I say this is because I always got way more of a head trip on mushrooms opposed to acid which always felt more intoxicating and about the visuals.

The first time I took mushrooms I hadn't taken any psychedelics before and I took a little over a half eighth and was not ready for the experience I ended up having haha. I had been getting in a lot of trouble at the time and got broken up with and stuff like that so it sent me into a mental mind fuck for a couple hours.

So I'd just personally advise eating them with friends or if you were still set on eating them alone, make sure you don't have a lot of shit stressing you out. Also I would make sure you go into it with a good mindset. Don't be afraid of it. For real. I was so afraid the first time I took em and it just sent me into a bad trip and I felt like I was gunna die. Mushrooms are all about what you make of them.

This is all from my personal experience, and I'm not trying to scare you at all with sharing my negative first experience. I just wanna make sure you get the most out of your trip and have a good time. :) happy trippin man.

In the spirit of harm reduction I'd say eat 2 grams...

Realistically though, unless you have more, all that eating 2 grams is going to do is leave you with a, basically useless, 1.5 gram portion...

Eat the whole eighth

Why on earth would you recommend him to eat the whole eighth when you yourself took a little over half of that and got what sounds like being overwhelmed?

A positive mindset going in is important, but that doesn't make you immune to the difficulties of say riding an emotional rollercoaster. People need to learn how to handle that, and you do that by starting a little lower and slowly learning to take more and underwhile learning from the more difficult episodes. Which is fine, they are just learning moments that can be very valuable as lessons about the world and your own mind.

There is also no shame in being underwhelmed the first time, what is the problem really? That you are impatient? Learn to do the wise thing, not taking a shot at it wanting it to be hardcore the very first time. That's immature.

Having friends over is fine, but only if they are supportive and understanding, and if they deeply get that playing tricks on a tripper is an awful despiccable thing to do.

In the spirit of harm reduction I'd say eat 2 grams...

Realistically though, unless you have more, all that eating 2 grams is going to do is leave you with a, basically useless, 1.5 gram portion...

Eat the whole eighth

There is a logical fallicy there somewhere HERE IS IT... my suggestion was no more than 3/4 of the eight so IIRC that would be like 2.25 g but choosing 2 g is also a smart decision. It doesn't really matter how much that leaves and what you can or cannot do with it immediately afterwards. It is a very bad reason to take more than is responsible to take. If you take all of it, there won't be anything useless left but you may very well get in over your head.

Getting everything out of your drug supply shouldn't be a huge priority. We are human beings with sensitivities, not a trashbin for chemicals, mushrooms and other drugs.

For me taking 3/4 an eight or something along the lines of 2.25 gram, the very first time I ever tripped, produced a +++ that was borderline difficult, and very influenced by the people was with and what happened.
Later I also tried larger dosages and often got way in over my head. That can be very harsh and deeply disturbing, eventually something I could accept as part of tripping but not something you want to expose yourself to if you are just starting to get introduced.

Last edited:
Actually Sol, you're right. Shrooms can be very unforgiving and it sounds like your psychedelic experience is quite limited.

Try this: eat 2 grams wait an hour or so and see how things are going and then, if you're not where you'd like to be, eat the rest.

Cubensis is about 1.2 percent psilocybin/psilocin so each gram is about 12 mg worth. If you read about psilocybin dosages you'll see that they are usually about 10-30 mg. Were you to take 3.5 grams you would be getting about 38 mg. That would be a rather high dose to start off with. Two grams would almost certainly suffice, 24 mg. Even 1.5 grams would be a pretty solid dose.

Yeah you're right Sol. I apologize, I've been up all night after work and was more concentrated on trying to explain I personally nor have I heard of trips alone going very well. And around my city I'm so used to an eighth being what people normally take.

I still agree with all the other stuff I said just an eighth is completely the wrong starter dose. Especially when I said I took less then that my first time. I did not think that post through very well.

Anyways whatever you end up taking I hope you have a good trip.

I also feel though that even if I took a gram in the stressful mind set I was in it would have screwed me over. Not justifying the dose I stated in my post but I really personally feel like you have to be comfortable in your life when dealing with psychedelics.

Basically I'm saying personally I wouldn't want to eat any amount of mushrooms if say my dog died that week, and I was in debt and my girlfriend dumped me. Hypothetically obviously but I just try to tell people that because it was so terrible for me. Being scared or seeing scary hallucinations on them is one thing but if you got something heavy on you mind before you take them, they personally would make me go crazy. Which I don't wish upon my worst enemy's.

But yeah at this point I feel like he should probably just do a half eighth. Split it even so then if it works good then he has another half eighth for later, and if it doesn't work then he won't need to buy as much to try more. I feel like if they are good mushrooms though a half eighth would be plenty for a first time.

Thanks so much guys! I've decided I'm going to eat 2 grams then if im feeling good eat the rest. Also I'm going to be by myself but when I did acid I was in the exact same scenario(in my house by myself) is a tripsitter really necessary?

I find tripping on mushrooms indoors sucks. If you're actually tripping the movie isn't going to make much sense. Just looking at nature (even if it's just some trees outside) would be a lot more rewarding.

I'd start with 2 grams.

I'm new to Bluelight but tomorrow I will be buying an eighth and I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer

Should I eat the whole eighth at once?

What things do I need to do to prep for my trip?

If I shouldn't eat the eighth what dose do you recommend for a first timer?

I plan on eating the mushrooms around 10 pm and just chilling at my house watching movies playing league or css is this a good way to trip? will this make me have a bad trip sitting in front of my computer?

Sorry if these are stupid questions and im also not that new to psychedelics i've done acid a couple of times and dxm(i dont know if you can consider than a pyschedelic)

Hopefully you guys can give me some tips :)

1) If you've never done any time of psychedelic drug, start low. Perhaps 1g. See how you respond to that. If you like it, wait a week (or 2), then try 2g. If you jump in too far the first time it might be great, and it might be horrible. Given that you've taken acid, you could be okay with 1.5g the first time and 2.0g the second time.

2) Try them in as stress free an environment as possible. At home is good. Do you have parents that could be an issue? Think about choosing another location if this is the case. Have some light snacks available for later (you probably won't feel like eating on the come up and while you're peaking....I always get a bit peckish on the comedown). Fruit pieces (watermelon, apple, etc), Something good to drink (juice, flavoured water, etc).

3) I'm usually 2 ft in front of an iMac when tripping and have movies ready to go (those are a great idea in my opinion - I'm partial to watching horror movies when altered).

Nah, they're not stupid questions.

Looks like you're good to go.

Tom

I find tripping on mushrooms indoors sucks. If you're actually tripping the movie isn't going to make much sense. Just looking at nature (even if it's just some trees outside) would be a lot more rewarding.

I'd start with 2 grams.

I agree, go outdoors...one of my favorite places to trip in a graveyard. It's quiet green and has a peaceful easy feeling.

Thanks so much guys! I've decided I'm going to eat 2 grams then if im feeling good eat the rest. Also I'm going to be by myself but when I did acid I was in the exact same scenario(in my house by myself) is a tripsitter really necessary?
I believe you have ascertained the proper dosage at 2 grams. Unlike commercialized medication the dosage is not so much selected, rather than a range of possibilities are deemed acceptable. The medium, mushrooms, may have psylocybin concentrated in parts, making dosage slightly less certain than might be assumed with homogeneously blended drugs.

It is not a good idea to take mushrooms in two sorties. Your body will react differently to each consumption. Better to take 2 grams and follow through with that, seeing how it goes. Some rule of thumb should be adopted on how often you trip, but waiting at least 3 days before tripping again is simply economical.

We cannot tell you every single thing you might experience during the prolonged alteration to your environmental, psychological, and physiological perceptions. These experiences can range from becoming office furniture to becoming a cannibal. The reason for a trip sitter is equally varied, from checking your feng shui to providing as a meal.

Safety is primary in every plan.

I agree, go outdoors...one of my favorite places to trip in a graveyard. It's quiet green and has a peaceful easy feeling.
I would tend to avoid graveyards on psychs. I walked through one once on acid and it was scary. I could sense the dead folk down below.

Regarding the shroom trip, it will go through various phases. There's a phase that lasts about half an hour where you'll feel very stoned and sedated. Right at the end of the trip you may be the most confused but then it will abruptly drop off over about 10 minutes and you'll be completely straight again. The whole thing is pretty weird really. It can have some really great visuals sometimes though. I've found that they usually have an Indian art character to them, like the figures on totem poles. I think that's where the Indians got the idea for that drawing style, from doing shrooms. The British Columbian Indians made those kind of totem poles and carvings and there's plenty of shrooms in BC. I rest my case.

Last edited:
OP: i dont know how old your are and how much you weigh i cant belive nobody else asked this and also man you could stay on the cpu your whole trip but what i say you should do is eat a 1.5 and than wait 1 hour if it doesnt hit you eat a bit more ( you can ALWAYS eat more but NEVER eat less) ahaha ;) ..... but you may have a "bad trip" but too be honest you learn alot more about yourself and how your mind works and you'll see dont try to overthink what your gonna feel just go with the flow as hard as that is with trying anything new loool butterflys .. but yeah have a good night man you'll look at shit from a diffrent perspective and persive shit in a new better way!

OP: i dont know how old your are and how much you weigh i cant belive nobody else asked this and also man you could stay on the cpu your whole trip but what i say you should do is eat a 1.5 and than wait 1 hour if it doesnt hit you eat a bit more ( you can ALWAYS eat more but NEVER eat less) ahaha ;) ..... but you may have a "bad trip" but too be honest you learn alot more about yourself and how your mind works and you'll see dont try to overthink what your gonna feel just go with the flow as hard as that is with trying anything new loool butterflys .. but yeah have a good night man you'll look at shit from a diffrent perspective and persive shit in a new better way!

Im weigh about 150 pounds im eating the shrooms in about an hour and yeah I feel like playing league or counter strike is going to be so fun. I'm not nervous at all I haven't once thought bad about this I think i'll be fine I dropped in school before (i know thats stupid ) so I'm confident I can handle this tonight. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Also would you guys recommend me eating a meal before I eat the mushrooms? and whats the best way to eat the mushrooms

Last edited: