• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Movie Recommendations Thread v.4...not for TV series and stuff Dan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its either set there or really cleverly edited - now that you mention it I could see where the breaks could appear, where Scarlett could be in another country but its so fn fluid / natural. If the director wanted you to think it was shot in Glasgow - it worked. (Yeah I could pick holes in it [but cant we do that with any movie]) its creepy, strange, gets you thinking, makes you feel uncomfortable about human nature without heavy CGI.

She definitely filmed it in Glasgow, I remember hearing about it at the time. I just wondered if it was meant to be Glasgow in the film. Like, they shot some of World War Z here but it was meant to be Philadelphia.

Pitch you seen it ? It meant to be set in Glasgow, its a really weird movie. Not sure if you would like it tbh, Not your normal stuff

Frequencies (the original name of 'OXV: The Manual' was much more apt)

"OXV: THE MANUAL is being billed as the world's first Scientific-Philosophical romance. Boy meets girl in a not-quite-here, not-quite-now world where one simple discovery has forever changed all human interaction..."

I loved this, similar to upstream colour in ambiguity, some great ideas explored and hinted at - this is what i call science fiction (don't watch if you want spaceships and lasers (or an easy to grasp plot).

Also watched The Travelling Salesman
"Four mathematicians are hired by the US government to solve the most powerful problem in computer science history."

Was alright, about maths, encryption and the govenrment - touches on the snowden stuff in a way. Not much happens (mostly them talking in a room) - quite interesting and/but a bit clever (not a patch on 'frequencies')

Last edited:
Just watched Ocean Waves. It is a TV movie instalment from Studio Ghibli.

It's a fairly down to earth story of teenage love & nothing ground breaking but at the same time, it doesn't really disappoint either.

I've seen 16 of the 21 films now, 2 of which have yet to even appear in the UK. In fact the most recent only came out in cinemas in Japan yesterday. It'll be a sad day when I've seen them all - nice having more to look forward to! :D

Just watched The Orphanage (El Orfanato)

A nice little horror/psychological thriller. It doesn't have any of the gore or big frights of most horror films these days but still manages create a chilling atmosphere at times!

I watched True Romance for the first time earlier. What a film, can't believe I hadn't seen it before. It had cocaine in it and everything ;)

Right - had another sci-fi-drugs-athon - here are my results:

The Congress - "An aging, out-of-work actress accepts one last job, though the consequences of her decision affect her in ways she didn't consider." This starts with stuff about ai actors replacing real actors, but expands out to singularity-type future speculation (partly animated - nice trippy visuals) - i really enjoyed this.

So did I. Watched it last night when half-asleep but not sleepy sleep and it certainly perked me up a bit. Great pick - enjoyed that a lot. I've not read (or heard of) the book it's based on but all the way through I was thinking it was much like a William Gibson story that somebody actually managed to film right for a change. Cyberpunk meets Looney Tunes - really is hard to think what not to like about it. Good stuff.

Got Antiviral to watch sometime soon too and will probably give the others you mention a go too at some point. Oddly enough, was only thinking t'other day to ask if anybody had any decent sci-fi flicks to recommend. Should keep me going for a while.

Oh thank holy fuck for that!

I'd been waiting ages and ages to see it, finally watched it late last year and wasn't fucking disappointed. Pissed my pants at parts and wrote a gushing review in here somewhere. Cleverish, highly original and a beautiful fucked up mix of popular culture and commentary.

Soon as i'd watched it I went straight to dl the britney spears track too :eek:

AWESOME flick. Gets summat like 5.5 on imdb too. It definitely wouldnt make bluntsies 'to watch' list ;p

'ere ... ave some Spears ... Everytime ... <3

Weren't doubting your own taste in films were ya, Marmz?!? Surely not. Your recommendations are always worth a look - largely cos you're still the only other person I know of who has heard of, seen and enjoyed Tetsuo II. Never understood why it disappeared without a trace given how many peeps enjoyed the first. Was perhaps a tad homoerotic for a fair chunk of the sci-fi crowd I suppose.

I will skip your quoted recommendation though. No matter how good the film was Britney Spears tracks may be a step too far for me.

As an aside, why do people pay any attention to IMDB ratings? They seem utterly meaningless to me. I wouldn't choose what to watch by standing outside Blockbusters and asking random people what score they'd give out of ten to every film on the shelves. Individuals have good taste, hordes generally have appalling taste.

On a Linklater binge.. Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. <3

Might hunt down Before Midnight now as I've only seen that once.

Not seen any of those but do likes me some Linklater. The new one of his sounds like it should be well worth a watch. He really is a bit of an innovator that fella. I can't even conceive of how the logistics and practicalities of a decade-long film shoot would work out let alone ending up with something that is apparently rather brilliant just as a film at the end of it.

Yepyep, he's brilliant at dialogue-heavy films.. the Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight films are my favourite trilogy and all are easily in my top 10. I only found out about his new one t'other day but I'll be watching that as soon as I can.. and it does sound innovative, even for him.

Only heard of it myself a couple days ago. No idea where I heard it but definitely did. Unless I've developed a very specific form of clairvoyance anyway.

Wonder what he'd've done if the boy grew up to be a really shitty actor? And wonder if the fact that a child star skipped the child star bit by not becoming a star until they finished filming when he'd grown up will mean he'll escape the fate of all child stars?

Will have to give those you mention a go at some point cos must admit I've not heard of those ones. Liked all the other films of his I've seen though. It's a rare thing to be able to make such radically different films, regularly pioneer (or reinvent for his rotoscope period) new and unusual visual and storytelling techniques, and be successful with it.

Not seen any of those but do likes me some Linklater. The new one of his sounds like it should be well worth a watch.

I spotted that whilst looking to see if anything decent was coming out soon on Rotten Tomatoes. It does sound like a rather intriguing concept that will turn the coming of age genre upside down. Will definitely be going to see it.

Still wishing to guess 'Childhood' is going to be the most nauseatingly faux-realist, slickly shot, 'issues'* laden film of 2014 (if not ever)

*For a white, American, privileged brat

Watched Need for Speed last night. Not normally my kind of film but I <3 Aaron Paul so had to give it a go and surprisingly I really enjoyed it. Not the most complex plot but still interesting enough to keep me watching for 2 hours. Some lovely shots of America as well - and of course, beautiful cars.

I watched True Romance for the first time earlier. What a film, can't believe I hadn't seen it before. It had cocaine in it and everything ;)

Best Tarntino film he never made for sure. Worth watching just for Gary Oldman in dreads but handily the rest is also brilliant. Love that music too - the one that was suddenly on every advert and telly prog for years afterwards. Belter of a film that.

Still wishing to guess 'Childhood' is going to be the most nauseatingly faux-realist, slickly shot, 'issues'* laden film of 2014 (if not ever)

*For a white, American, privileged brat

If almost anybody other than Richard Linklater was behind it that'd be virtually guaranteed. He is though so it just won't be.

And I'm also going to reinforce that recommendation Vurtual made that I chipped in on up there. The Congress really is a bit special. Don't want to say precisely why cos finding out why is too good to spoil. It is sci-fi but even if you hate sci-fi don't be put off. It's a bit special and quite unlike any other film I can think of. It's more like one of the many 'unfilmable' books only it did get filmed and for once it completely pulls it off. It's somewhat multilayered and could be interpreted in many ways but one of those ways is of particular interest to BL-type folk. It's also very pretty to look at which is always a bonus. There's a lot - a helluva lot - in there. Big, big concepts and themes. But is somehow still light as a feather, easy to watch, very enjoyable whatever strands you pick up and follow. Or don't and just go along with the pretty things without even trying to put it all together. Effortlessly clever.

I dunno, I thought his last two films were grossly overrated; the tree or life and the other one; both kinda pretentious if you ask me.

I had an interesting debate with an academic dude who thought the tree of live was full of deeply pro religious overtones. I read it as implying the opposite: we're all the product of chaotic, cosmic chance and love is a miracle in that context. Not saying that that idea cannot exist in some sort of religious frameworke, but not in the common "God as Creator" thesis.

Anyway, self-indulgent babble aside, it provoked debate, so can't have been that bad!

Watched Zenith - (yet another) dystopia with conspiracies, mind control and all that jazz. Quite low budget and indie (a good thing), gets a bit noir and drags a bit maybe (not so good) but some of the ideas chucked around are pretty cool. Looks at line between conspiracy and paranoia/insanity. It's alright (i'm running out of films after my recent burst).

[I've watched lots of dystopias recently, but last night i had a thought that they have to make quite an effort to distinguish the dystopia from the current reality - just accurately describing politics, corporate power, media, advertising/mind control gets you a passable dystopian sci-fi plot (just watch that 'Men Who Made us Buy' on bbc2 on mxe for a pretty good dystopian scifi film (though the hero doesn't break the system and escape in a randian epiphany at the end)) - the writers have to add in some fantastic element just so it can fill the job of a dystopia; ie some future reality we need to be warned about/feel comforted we aren't in. When does the dystopia turn into current affairs? i digress (it's just what i'm like)]

Got round to Under the Skin - a bit 'meh' but watchable to the end - nice visuals and sound.

To complete the lynch set watched that Rabbits - surreal plotless 'sitcom' about a family of people with rabbit heads all filmed in a single room (there are bits of this within inland empire). Hypnotic, incomprehensible, erie, dark (great drugs backdrop). If you have to ask what does it mean (and want an answer), maybe lynch is not for you.

On a lighter note: Evil Alien Conquerors! - Quite bizarre comedy about (you guessed it) evil alien conquerors My-ik and Du-ug (mike and doug) who come to earth to behead everyone, but their swords get shrunk in the process. Then they get tempted by the earthly vices of smirnoff ice and nudies... Bonkers and cheesy but made me laugh a few times (especially the mighty croaker).

Also rewatched Frequencies (OXV: the Manual) - i recommend it highly for anyone who likes 'thinky' sci-fi films; so many ideas built on each other (though quite a job to follow some of them (on drugs anyway)). i think it's my current favourite film

Best Tarntino film he never made for sure. Worth watching just for Gary Oldman in dreads but handily the rest is also brilliant. Love that music too - the one that was suddenly on every advert and telly prog for years afterwards. Belter of a film that.

I wasn't quite sold on it... I mean the story itself was good but the execution just wasn't there for me. I might have enjoyed it more if my expectations hadn't been raised by knowing that Tarantino wrote it.

True it would probably have been a bit more visually and stylisticly interesting if he'd directed it himself. Was Tony Scott who directed it wasn't it? Somebody like that - more known for standard action movie-type stuff (and just checked and yes it was). He's no Ridley for sure and I know what you mean about it being a bit... unispired in places in terms of just how it was shot and stuff. Tarantino does make films that are interesting and original visually but it's generally the script that's the most memorable bit. He does have a way with words and character and storytelling even if it is mostly 'borrowed' from a gazillion B-movies and can be a bit too 'I am a Quentin Tarantinio film' when he doesn't always totally pull off what he's aiming for. More hit than miss though and True Romance I just really like even if it does have the sense that it could've been great rather than just really good in different hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.