European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Fishing thread

=D

It's not about having a heart.

Just about trying to be as efficient as possible, and not cause unnecessary suffering to fish, or damage to their environment.

Anyway, the sea temperature is slowly rising, very late this year, really hope to get out fishing soon.

I'm saying I see fish as food. I kill what I want to eat. As quickly as possible.

I try not to catch species i don't like, or fish that are undersized (there's no way to actively avoid catching roe-bearing fish).

If I see a fish has been badly damaged and is unlikely to survive (foul-hooked, or blown swim bladder), and is not something I want to eat,I'll kill it for the otters.

Other fish I don't want to eat go back alive.

I don't consider catching a fish the same as catching a human to eat. That would be messed up logic.

I don't feel any guilt about fishing. None at all. My fishing causes no damage to fish stocks :( , and almost no damage to the marine environment.

^ Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your top responsibility towards fishing and respect for the environment. Just didn't like the "It's just a fish" comment. I like to think human respect can extend to animals. All animals.

I do respect them as a life. And as such I'll cause as little suffering as possible. My "it's just a fish" coment was a bit flippant though, I accept that.

I don't know how much suffering they, errr, suffer.

I imagine they suffer a lot less than most of the meat people (myself included) eat on a daily basis.

indeed, i dont get moralistic about much. but anyone who eats veal or partakes in battery sourced eggs cant say fuck all to fisherman.. who are often, in fact - our greatest conservationists

you can add european pork to that list too, as sow stalls are still de rigeur on the continent and to me, a much more worthy direction for ire.. yet receives almost none, it being easier to pick on the easy targets one of the first of which was bullfighting

people like to get stuff banned

Fisherman who landed gigantic skate lost place in record books because he refused to kill it

Izza big fishy 8o

David-Griffiths-battled-with-the-235lbs-flat-fish-for-over-90-minutes-before-reeling-it-in.jpg

And good for him for not killing it.

Nice fish. Doesn't look 235lb but it's hard to judge. I'm sure the fishing forums will be rowing over it right now =D

Skate fishing is something I've never done. Got to get up to the deep lochs, you don't find skate down here.

Shambles said:
And good for him for not killing it.

Yeah, a lot of those monsters are killed just for the weighing, they not even good eating when they're that size.

Pretty much all of the "skate" we eat in the UK is some sort of ray, blonde, spotted or thornback ray as a rule, we get a lot of them down here, I've never caught a massive one, they get to about 30lbs at best, 10lb is a reasonable size...

Rays like shallow water over sandbanks and estuaries.

And there endeth the lesson =D

Well I never knew most of that. Have only eaten "skate" once. Was bought lunch at a resteraunt in town by me old boss when the place I volunteered at was shut down. I chose skate cos I'd never had it before and probably won't come across it again. Was kinda disappointed. Quite tasty (sauce was nice too) but very bony. Suppose I should've thought of that. Not bad but seemed a bit steep given you had to fillet the bastard on the plate to get a mouthful.

If I cook it, and it's the wings from a big fish i either strip the flesh from the cartiledge (it's not really bone) and serve it like a kind of spaghetti, the flesh will come off the bone in long strands, or it's very easy to just scrape the flesh away from the bone if it's been cooked right.

Smaller "skate" the bone can be crunched up and eaten.

Lovely fish, but I don't eat many, usually put them back, but don't catch many anyway...

It was quite thick an meaty from memory. At least the thick bit of it was. Just cooked in one of those buttery, shalloty, capery sauces. No doubt the most bogstandard way of serving it up. Remember liking the fish but finding it a bit of a faff. Don't recall eating bones or chewing cartilidge so presumably just dug out meaty bits from in between.

Would like to eat more fish but you kinda need to know how to deal with 'em. Like y'all fisherfolk do. So will leave you to your fishertalk and take me fish-munching musings back to the Munching thread now.

yeah, beurre noisette and capers is classic way...

Its one of the easiest fish to eat unfilleted...all the bone lies through the middle of the wing, you scrape the top off, turn it over, and scrape the bottom off, you're left with a "fan" of long jointed pieces of cartiledge....

Any fish that doesn't come encased in crispy batter, breadcrumbs or a tin is a bit advanced for me, MM. Baby steps ;)

I've always fished from a young age freshwater rivers i have a good stretch of river to choose from and a few chalk pits too I love it even now sorts me right out and gives me a break from the misses and kids :):):)
(Used to be into me winter pike but fuck too cold for me now)