• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Dying from kratom!?!?!?!?

cadams122593

Greenlighter
SO, I got off the phone with a so called medical professional and told him i was taking kratom to suppress my anxiety every 3 days (6-8 grams). He the said to me "ARE YOU SERIOUS??? KRATOM IS JUST LIKE SPICE, YOU CAN DIE FROM KRATOM OR KRATOM WITHDRAWL BECAUSE ITS A SYNTHETIC OPIATE". I couldnt help but laugh. I did my research about kratom months before i even took it. no recorded deaths anywhere. This guy doesnt know what the fuck he is talking about. Ive been taking kratom for over a year now. took 3 months off from it, maybe a little loss of appitite for a week, other than that, i was fine. I would just like to hear your feedback about what this "doctor" said cause i find it fucking hilarious and had to share it.

Yeah, most doctors don't spend much time thinking about this stuff, and even less researching. They are busy with all their other doctor stuff, which is a fuck ton of stuff to deal with indeed.
So yeah, he's wrong on that count, could still be a good Doc with a bit of misinformation in his head. Kratom, RCs all that legal high stuff....I've yet to meet a doctor in person who knows much of anything other than people showing up in the ER ODing on Spice.

Yeah, most doctors don't spend much time thinking about this stuff, and even less researching. They are busy with all their other doctor stuff, which is a fuck ton of stuff to deal with indeed.
So yeah, he's wrong on that count, could still be a good Doc with a bit of misinformation in his head. Kratom, RCs all that legal high stuff....I've yet to meet a doctor in person who knows much of anything other than people showing up in the ER ODing on Spice.

This sounds about right. When discussing with doctors, I mention kratom with kava and Valerian as natural remedies I've used for pain relief and sleep. This should elicit a more level-headed response

There's several or more recorded deaths due to kratom. However, one guy was gay and on an anti depressant which has a side effect of suicidal thoughts. Another died of kratom toxicity, or grand mal seizure.

While I agree with you that kratom is on the low low scale of health issues and deaths, there's a possibility of health issues with any substance that's foreign.

Kratom made my kidneys hurt. Glad it's working for you.

Btw this guy works at a Friary so ive only talked to him, i dont know if he is a doctor or not. He doesnt see Kratom as a natural remedy. He sees Kratom as a synthetic opiate, just like a chemical put in powder that gets you high LIKE SPICE. I've used spice one time and will never again, thats how bad of an experience i had from it. Kratom ive used like i said at least twice a week for the past year and never once had a feeling like i did with spice or felt like i was going to die. Even cold turkey off it, didnt feel like i was going to die.

Technically there's a small possibility of dying because of liver failure as some people don't tolerate kratom
But, clearly your doctor is misinformed
Edit: Kratom is not a synthetic opiate, it's a damn plant so it can't be synthetic
But iirc you can buy synthetic mitragynine

I think there was a batch of kratom that was cut with O-desmethyltramadol and a few people died because of that, maybe your doctor just read about this

only 3 deaths have been reported from kratom. one i heard was because of krypton kratom. it had the drug O-Desmethyltramadol in the leaf powder. and the 2 others were combined with other drugs but mitragynine or 7-hydroxymitragynine were not reported as the "cause of death". I just hate how people that hear about this "drug" just pull shit out of their ass to make them seem smart.

Doctors know what they were taught in school about drugs, most of it is outdated information. They hear about these drugs in the media, so there general opinion of them is "extremely dangerous, bad bad bad", all grouped together. Even a natural drug like kratom which isn't an RC. The one issue with kratom is it isn't regulated, so the quality control is out of anyones hands. That is the real danger with kratom. If you try a new batch slowly, you can avoid any real risks. Kratom itself is relatively harmless physically, although it is addictive and will eventually cause depression, anxiety, and withdrawal symptoms like most psychoactive drugs when taken routinely (daily).

Last edited:
Your doc is an imbecile.

If you were to ever take a dose high enough to kill you, your body would completely empty your stomach before you could even metabolize enough.

Aka puke your guts out.

Technically there's a small possibility of dying because of liver failure as some people don't tolerate kratom
But, clearly your doctor is misinformed
Edit: Kratom is not a synthetic opiate, it's a damn plant so it can't be synthetic
But iirc you can buy synthetic mitragynine

I'm not a kratom fan boy by any means but liver death in a healthy adult from kratom would not even be possible. Unless what you are getting in fact isn't pure kratom and has other substances in it.

I'm not a kratom fan boy by any means but liver death in a healthy adult from kratom would not even be possible. Unless what you are getting in fact isn't pure kratom and has other substances in it.

Death may be exaggerated, but there are a few rare cases of liver/gallbladder damage
This for example http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3550198/

Let's just come to the conclusion that Kratom is pretty safe :)

Death may be exaggerated, but there are a few rare cases of liver/gallbladder damage
This for example http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3550198/

Let's just come to the conclusion that Kratom is pretty safe :)

With healthy adults with no history of high liver enzymes/liver issues?

What were his liver values before ever beginning the two weeks of kratom
Does he has a family history of liver issues

There's too many variables to associate it strictly with kratom, since they don't even have a baseline to go off of before he began use. Yes it says his drug test came back negative for the 5 panel but what else could he have been taking? and what are his drinking habits like.

Last edited:
^right, I may have jumped to the conclusion to early. But there are a few reports of liver problems scattered around the Internet, but as you said, there are too much variables and we can't know if the reports are valid.
Let's say there may potentially be a really small possibility to develop liver problems, but it's really unlikely

Last edited:
^right, I may have jumped to the conclusion to early. But there are a few reports of liver problems scattered around the Internet, but as you said, there are too much variables and we can't know if the reports are valid.
Let's say there may potentially be a really small possibility to develop liver problems, but it's really unlikely

RIght, especially if it's pure kratom.

With healthy adults with no history of high liver enzymes/liver issues?

What were his liver values before ever beginning the two weeks of kratom
Does he has a family history of liver issues

There's too many variables to associate it strictly with kratom, since they don't even have a baseline to go off of before he began use. Yes it says his drug test came back negative for the 5 panel but what else could he have been taking? and what are his drinking habits like.

I have had blood tests done, including kidney and liver function, after using kratom for many many months, and they came back totally normal. I think those cases may be related to a tainted batch of kratom more then anything else. That or a very small percentage of peoples bodies just reject kratom for some reason.

No..... i mean anythings possible, but i ate it for like a few months, and was going through a pound every two weeks.. Im okay