• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

DXM

i am not able to access those things, I have been taking dex as a substitute for additional seritonin, and feeling good, taking steady for a month, 200-300mg, but now am planning to taper off dex, since im having health problems

200-300 a day? Are you able to wean down?

If you go to a doctor, it should be easy to get scripts for clonidine and gabapentin, they give em out like candy

It would save you a lot of pain if you could do that, they really help

not much, im in a non green state, might try some 5htp, and Im taking ginko daily and ginseng, I have some ativan , too, gonna get off dex by tapering, might see if my PCP will write some gabapentin, or, something
Thats not that bad, atleast you have Ativan, better than nothing.

Another thing, when you see your doctor, maybe you should ask for low dose zoloft or some kind of Ssri, they’ll probably help the withdrawals too

Also,make sure your taking extended release dxm, that’ll make tapering a lot easier and simpler

What is DXM withdrawl like? and how might one diminish the drawls?
Ah i hated that witbdrawal. When i went through a witbdrawal i was so cold at night, not even a shit ton of blankets helped. It was like my bones were cold. I saw shit and heard shit and i was sober. I saw this guy killing kids and the kids were playing ring around the rosie and the guy was in my bed. This was while my eyes were closed and i wss trying to sleep.

I couldnt sleep at all. Id think id had my eyes closed trying to sleep until a car passes the house and i see the lights from the window to find out my eyes have been open the whole time. I also heard my sister talking to her friend and playing guitar when i was in a restaraunt.

As for diminishing the withdrawals your best bet is to just tough it out and get it over with. Try and have a heater with you at night and try taking sleeping medications.

Also here is a song that kinda descibes what the dxm withdrawal was like for me:

Worst withdrawal i ever went through. Was worse than heroin to me. For heroin i just slept a lot and had mental cravings.

The brain zaps that accompany stopping DXM suck bad. The rest of the phenomena are tolerable, but the zapping sensation gets old quick. I've done this withdrawal a few times, but always tapered for a couple weeks before stopping. I'd rather withdraw from DXM 1000x than kratom once FWIW. In fact, the only real withdrawal symptom from DXM cessation I've experienced is the brain zaps.

Last edited:
Loperamide might help with opioid withdrawls from the DXM, but DXM doesn't have much affinity for the opioid receptors, especially compared to other opioids. Chlorpheniramine increases serotonin as well, and it's OTC, but you don't want to take them like candy. You don't have to, and trust me you don't want too. It can be very bad for your health in high doses. I think low doses are fairly safe. Ive been taking them everyday for a while now in moderate to high doses.

DXM isn't an opioid, it has negligible affinity to these receptors and the metabolite DXO is actually an antagonist. The withdrawal you get is a stimulant one combined with SSRI. If you can, get some 5-htp and/or kanna (s. tortiosum) which both help with the serotonin side and adrenalin does a good job in recovering itself. Use caffeine if needed e.g. for work but avoid any stimulants including caffeine and nicotine if you can't get the serotonin side covered. They make the brain zaps worse.

Kratom doesn't always help, I tried it for SSRI (fluoxetine) withdrawal and it actually exacerbated the brain zaps, feeling like I'd seize any minute until I took an emergency pill of fluoxetine.

SSRI withdrawal is indeed worse than morphine for me as well.

Another option is to taper DXM, as it comes in handy 20-30mg capsules this is easy. 'Just' resist the urge to take more.
Loperamine I'd use only when you have diarrhea, or a full blown opioid withdrawal which includes diarrhea.

Chlorpheniramine or diphenhydramine, both having slight SSRI activity, might help as has been said.