• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc DXM + Zoloft mistake

dependentterrible

Greenlighter
For background information:
I'm 5'7 and 115 lbs.

On Friday I had my first DXM trip, although stupidly without knowing it was DXM. I'm on 150mg zoloft which I take daily. I'm not sure of the exact amount of DXM I had, but I don't believe I surpassed the second plateau and probably stayed within the first.
I read about the tremendous risk of serotonin syndrome and based off of Hunter's criteria I'm not inclined to believe I had it, but I am still nervous about it's possible effects. Is there anything I could feel now that would tell me if I had it or not or if I should be worried about anything that could still happen. Is it out of my system at this point? Could something still happen? (including development of SS) Did I incur any brain damage? I think I'm just working myself up over nothing and should count myself lucky and never do it again but I still have my concerns. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

if it's out of your system you're fine, if you didn't experience the symptoms of SS, no damage was done. DXM use itself can be damaging when done in frequent and/or high doses, especially when combined with other serotonergic drugs

yes, you're playing with fire doing DXM + an SSRI or SNRI

If nothing happened, you're fine, but this is a combo is to be avoided at all costs and can do real damage.

definitely don't do that combo again. Make sure the SSRI is out of your system, if you do DXM again.

do NOT assume you can do DXM again and you'll be fine, trust me I know several people with real long term issues from doing DXM + SSRI

it fucks up your serotonergic system

I've recently been dealing with serotonin syndrome and related issues from unrelated drugs and it's a horrible experience with lasting neurological consequences

as for serotonin syndrome the first most obvious sign to me is agitation, inability to relax or sit still, odd physical sensations, tachychardia, hypertension, and it gets worse from there. Usually develops within 1-2 hours of the drug that caused it.

Last edited:
Being that I had it on Friday and my dose was no more than 400mg, there is anywhere from 0-12mg left in my system based on my calculations regarding its half-life. I'm not sure if SS can develop still, and I doubt it will given how much time it's been but I'll still look out.

do NOT assume you can do DXM again and you'll be fine, trust me I know several people with real long term issues from doing DXM + SSRI
I definitely will not. I'll take this mistake as a learning experience and attribute me not suffering from any afflictions to dumb luck.

I'll be sure to take your advice to heart going forward and I wish you the best in dealing with SS