View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives DXM Enzyme Deficiency

christian5960

Greenlighter
SWIM decided to try DXM yesterday. Worried about being enzyme deficient, SWIM only took 90mg using 6 robotusin gel pills. (SWIM is about 60kg).

The effects were barely noticable. A short lived buzz, some restlessness, and hint of dissosiation but very barely noticeable.

Does this mean SWIM isnt enzyme deficient? Would it be safe for SWIM to take 210mg today? (Thats all that swim has left).

Yeah I know that. But SWIM was told to try around 100mg to see if SWIM was enzyme deficient. Apparently people who are will find DXM to be much more potent and potentially dangerous. Based on SWIM's experience is it safe to do 210mg today?

Yeah I know that. But SWIM was told to try around 100mg to see if SWIM was enzyme deficient. Apparently people who are will find DXM to be much more potent and potentially dangerous. Based on SWIM's experience is it safe to do 210mg today?

Dextromethorphan (DXM) is slightly weaker as a sigma agonist and significantly weaker as an NMDA antagonist than its active metabolite, DXO (dextrorphan). DXM also shows significant activity as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, which DXO only does very weakly.

A deficiency/inhibition of the CYP2D6 enzyme would make the recreational effects seem *weaker*, not stronger. 90mg should produce little to no psychoactive effects anyway, though.

Inhibition/deficiency of the CYP3A4 enzyme would slightly potentiate the drug by inhibiting the conversion of DXM/DXO to the inactive metabolites 3-Methoxymorphinan/3-Hydroxymorphinan, but this is only a minor metabolic pathway in comparison to CYP2D6.

P.S: We don't say "SWIM" here. It affords you zero legal protection, and nobody cares whether you get high on OTC cough remedies anyway :)

Edit: Are you taking any meds at the moment? SSRI's, in particular, tend to inhibit CYP2D6 and increase the potential for serotonin syndrome since unmetabolized DXM also inhibits serotonin reuptake to a much greater extent.

Last edited:
I believe from subjective experience that I am probably cyp2d6 deficient. A normal 30mg dose already brings on first signs of dissociation. A recreational dose caused me to call off work the next two days because I didn't trust myself to drive. I'd say if 90mg did nothing you can try stepping up to an actual recreational dose. Caution is still advised. Try increasing in steps instead of just chugging whole bottles of cough syrup.

Dextromethorphan (DXM) is slightly weaker as a sigma agonist and significantly weaker as an NMDA antagonist than its active metabolite, DXO (dextrorphan). DXM also shows significant activity as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, which DXO only does very weakly.

A deficiency/inhibition of the CYP2D6 enzyme would make the recreational effects seem *weaker*, not stronger. 90mg should produce little to no psychoactive effects anyway, though.

Inhibition/deficiency of the CYP3A4 enzyme would slightly potentiate the drug by inhibiting the conversion of DXM/DXO to the inactive metabolites 3-Methoxymorphinan/3-Hydroxymorphinan, but this is only a minor metabolic pathway in comparison to CYP2D6.

P.S: We don't say "SWIM" here. It affords you zero legal protection, and nobody cares whether you get high on OTC cough remedies anyway :)

Edit: Are you taking any meds at the moment? SSRI's, in particular, tend to inhibit CYP2D6 and increase the potential for serotonin syndrome since unmetabolized DXM also inhibits serotonin reuptake to a much greater extent.
Did it the night of the post. It was somehow more than I was expecting yet simultaneously disappointing.

It took about 50 min to kick in, and I felt like I was really drunk. I started getting stop motion vision, which usually happens when Im drunk which I dont like. Music didnt seem to be different. No euforia at all, just completely numb.

Went upstairs in a pitch black room and felt my body and the whole world disappear. Everything shaddered into a green confetti. It looked like a video game or the matrix. Then I watched colorful (mostly blue) sheets sway with music for about an hour and then visual were gone.I was confused by my roomates all night. All their actions seemed bizzare to me, even though they werent. The trip only seemed to last around 3 hours. And then i just had a slight buzz until I fell asleep. 3/10

I am deficient, slow metabolizer, poor metabolizer of DXM looking for more people like this to compare strategies and notes.Thinking of starting a blog.
The trip lasts about 2-3 hours I am thinking like normal people. The difference is that the drug lasts for 5 days. You are stoned out of your mind constantly with a gradual decrease each day. There is zero tripping going on after those first 3 hours. I have done this about twice a year since I was 21. The first time I did this I had to frantically scramble online to somehow find out about the 10% I am 34

lol my birthday is april 29th