• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

DXM and Lexapro

Picnic_Johnson

Bluelighter
Short question, I'm on Lexapro 20mg per day, and I would like to use DXM for stress ... is this a for sure interaction ie. serotonin syndrome?

Google says yes, i wanted to ask here

Taking a small 100mg of DXM with 20mg lexapro is unlikely to kill you. Being real here this isn't a yes/no type of answer.

The case studies reference 'supra doses' which are likely people taking 200mg+ of DXM

It's never a risk I would take as I find the high from DXM very lackluster and not something I would ever take a risk for.

I am in agreement with Snafu here. Like anything, some people are super sensitive. The primary risk as I understand it would be Serotonin Syndrome. You wouldn't be doing anything that medicine could truly label as dangerous here. Again, if you're doing the crazy Robo-Tripping type shit, you raise the risk.

As one would expect, a lot of the case studies indicate subjects often on multiple, complex-interacting drugs like for instance:

Abilify (Aripiprazol)

Prozac (Fluoxetine)

Antihistamines

Dextromethorphan

Those types of combinations where shit starts getting very difficult to control because of the myriad of different interactions and potential complications.

You can titrate the DXM. A normal cough dose like 30-40mg is very unlikely to trigger anything serious. If you get headache, fever feelings or other adverse effects, stop it as long as you're taking the lexapro. Other option would be to skip the lexapro one day and titrate up (take 40mg, wait 1h, take next 40mg etc), DXM at 100+mg will substitute for the antidepressant and give you a nice low plateau experience.

Serotonin syndrome in full blown variant is exceedingly rare but symptoms of too much serotonin like said headache, high blood pressure, fever etc. are more common and signs that you need stop dosing. I did a high dose of DXM together with the first dosage of 20mg paroxetine - stupid, and it fried something, was the first and last time I got full color CEVs from any dissociative, after only black/white stuff.. also felt very demonic, my DXM dose, don't do this but low doses are ok as long as you aren't a poor metabolizer of CYP2D6 - then DXM is much stronger than in others. Did you DXM before and know what to expect?

I am in agreement with Snafu here. Like anything, some people are super sensitive. The primary risk as I understand it would be Serotonin Syndrome. You wouldn't be doing anything that medicine could truly label as dangerous here. Again, if you're doing the crazy Robo-Tripping type shit, you raise the risk.

As one would expect, a lot of the case studies indicate subjects often on multiple, complex-interacting drugs like for instance:

Abilify (Aripiprazol)

Prozac (Fluoxetine)

Antihistamines

Dextromethorphan

Those types of combinations where shit starts getting very difficult to control because of the myriad of different interactions and potential complications.
Iya keef,

U seem pretty knowledgeable I'm on 60mg methadone daily (MMT) don't really use on top but I remember i drank most of a bottle of cough medicine (375mg dxm) when I was rattling for heroin trying to get clean clean about a year ago. It stopped all withdrawal symptoms and was a lil bit trippy but now when I drink a whole bottle it's dont really do out yknow?

Any ideas mate?
JP