• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drugs Are Actually Good, Says Columbia Professor

mescaline is extremely potent and you should avoid fuckin with mescaline as you do with other psychedelics. Mescaline has no medical uses? peyote is a grown herb from within mother earth womb which helpt travelers complete their journeys? what are yall even on about.. you can say nothing is documented, what actually ''documented'' means because i know for sure there's no knowledge bridge

Yeah I honestly didn't know that. But the phenethylamine class makes up the building blocks to drugs ranging from MDA to various strong antidepressants and antipsychotics

Oh, I completely agree. But it's technically an amphetamine, which is important.

This is kind of me being pedantic, but words have meaning and that paper used amphetamine incorrectly.

Mescaline is a phenethylamine (3,4,5 trimethoxyphenethylamine to be specific).

Using the same terminology amphetamine could be described as a phenisopropylamine or alpha methyl phenethylamine.

While they are similar, amphetamines by definition have the nitrogen on carbon 2 of a 3 carbon chain coming off of the phenyl.

I guess you could simply say phenethylamines as a group contain the compound and the group amphetamines, but the group amphetamines does not include the compound mescaline.

He's limited on what he can say in regards to Meth: He knows it's a Miracle Medication (In Low Doses). He knows it's vastly different from adderall. He just can't say it. Instead, he paints the two as the same in an attempt to normalize it (Meth) in the minds of the masses. Genius move.
what makes you believe this? while has certainly touted some of it's positive effects i dont think he considers it a miracle medication...

Natural Selection doesn't impact Brain development everyone: Drugs impact Brain development.

To much of a Drug? Destroys the Body. Destroys the Brain.

Just enough? Heals the Body. Heals the Brain.

"Drug use for Grown-Ups"
did drugs lead to the evolution of the cerebellum, for example? there is no evidence that natural selection doesnt impact brain development. as component of a living organism it almost by definition has undergone natural selection

also your book title at the bottom makes it seems like the ideas in the book are about this which they aren't. thus your post is a bit misleading imo

what makes you believe this? while has certainly touted some of it's positive effects i dont think he considers it a miracle medication...
I can't say without outing his username.
did drugs lead to the evolution of the cerebellum, for example? there is no evidence that natural selection doesnt impact brain development. as component of a living organism it almost by definition has undergone natural selection
How would Natural Selection impact the development of our Brains, though? Think about it. Natural Selection impacts our limbs, our ears, our toes, our hands. But our Brains? How is Nature going to impact, and Naturaly Select-on the inner-workings of our Brain?? Brains don't change. Eyes. Ears. Limbs. They call are subject to change. They all are subject to Natural Selection. But our Brains? Our Brains don't change (unless we do drugs, THEN our brains change...):

7ZXeqIO.png

Fp1NevR.jpg

also your book title at the bottom makes it seems like the ideas in the book are about this which they aren't. thus your post is a bit misleading imo
I agree.

That said, Dr Hart knows what I'm getting at. "We once were warriors".

How would Natural Selection impact the development of our Brains, though? Think about it. Natural Selection impacts our limbs, our ears, our toes, our hands. But our Brains? How is Nature going to impact, and Naturaly Select-on the inner-workings of our Brain?? Brains don't change. Eyes. Ears. Limbs. They call are subject to change. They all are subject to Natural Selection. But our Brains? Our Brains don't change (unless we do drugs, THEN our brains change...):
Idek where to begin with this one lol.

So for one a lot those studies you post are actually done in rats or mice. Which are only useful to us humans because at some point we shared an evolutionary ancestor with a common brain. Over time the human cortex (for example) grew as the brain needed to adapt to new situations, like speaking with other humans or using tools.

So yes brains most certainly change. That’s why the best animal studies are done in primates who have the most similar brain to ours.

Also if you concede that eyes evolve under natural selection than you’ve actually already said that the brain evolves the same way. Believe it or not, your eyes are part of your central nervous system. All that lovey visual processing happens after the light hits your retina happens in circuits within your brain. So really the two had to evolve together

Similar story for ears/audition too actually. All the processing for it happens in your brain.

And now that I think of it, the ability to have dexterity in your limbs (which I’m using right now to type on my phone) comes from the fact that the brain evolved extra processing power to have such fine motor movements.

I can go on if you’d like….

O my. What a thread. If they weren't good then why would everyone be doing them ? Don't know about this one. ♡

I can't say without outing his username.

The human brain is subject to evolutionary change just like any other organ is. Any physical anthropologist could tell you as much, as much of the field from the earliest days onward was devoted to measuring the volume of fossilized hominid skulls.

There was an article a few years back but I can't remember how I came across it. I think a female? neuroscientist or neuropsychiatrist? doing research on Ketamine uses Ketamine her self regularly. I wish I could remember her name to find out any updates on her research.

Who was that person???

I am not really sure about the neuroscience.

Hmmm, interesting topic for sure and most definitely !

I did find this vid however. It's Great !

This guy's a asshat to say heroin isn't that bad. If your aren't ramming brown sludge into your viens after a while congrats on being a successful heroin user.

Then there's the neurochenical and hormonal changes chronic drug use (addiction causes).

This "Dr" is a poser drug user ignoring statistics.
True. Ask any opiate addict/user, their family and friends/loved ones or heroin/opiate addict in recovery how they really feel about opiates/heroin.

I have mixed opinions on Dr. Hart. I actually created a reddit post which got a bunch of attention and I was heavily criticizing some things he said on Joe Rogan podcast.

Oddly enough, Hamilton Morris of all people read my reddit post and then discussed the post, and the criticism towards Dr. Hart, 2 weeks later on Joe Rogan.

Hamilton was kinder than me and brought a new perspective that I have now.

I think Dr. Hart is a good thing overall for the mission, he is very brave for what he is doing (as Hamilton put it), however he does occasionally say some things which sound incredibly dubious (and a lot of times it's because he doesn't clarify what he means).
Hamilton Morris? He is your typical Brooklyn hipster trustafarian polydrug addict and will eventually overdose or all the decades of drug use/abuse/addiction will catch up to him. When will he inject heroin/fent, smoke METH, smoke actual PCP in a large dose, freebase cooked coke/smoke crack rocks, or boof the latest research chems?

He also caused someone in South Africa who is POZ HIV+, or living with AIDS from getting their meds all because he had to take Sustiva to get high. He is an idiot and obviously knows nothing about HIV/AIDS or anyone who has been living with HIV/AIDS and taking meds focusing on staying healthy.

I have friends who are POZ, have had HIV from the start in the late 1970s and before AZT was around they have been on all of the meds including Sustiva and HIV/AIDS and the meds are not fun and the short and long term side effects that they all have are not pleasurable or a high.

Last edited:
....since you guys want to defend recreational opioid use as ok or good. Let's try crack cocaine. What "therapeutic" and good use is there to be had? What is the chance someone is going to do crack on the weekend 1x per month and leave it at that....and that no dumb decisions will be made while on crack or coming down from it?

Trying to assign some kind of therapeutic psychological benefit to opioids and crack as if they are mushrooms is just flat out asanine.

Dabbling in crack and heroin might be dandy if you're very far from a drug addict as Hart seems to be...but what's the point then? If you have a shred of addictive propensity what's the risk of some IV heroin or crack experimentation? This author seems to just be taking a shit on addicts and the fact that millions of them exist by teasing that he can casually experiment with highly addictive drugs without consequence.
Exactly. From reddit I did not write this but Hamilton Morris is your typical hipster trustafarian douche bro narcisscistic type.

Hamilton Morris: just another Hipster Wannabe
Maybe some of you have seen the show Hamilton's Pharmacopoeia on Viceland. If not, you are not missing anything special (though I must admit the "A positive PCP Story" episode was mildly entertaining).

So basically this scrawny, douchy guy who wears the same pair of skin tight white jeans every episode travels around exploring a specific illegal chemical every episode. The first few episodes he hides his true intentions behind a veneer of scientific inquiry. Hamilton is just really into chemistry, you see. At one point he is in South Africa and while surrounding by impoverished Quaalude addicts who are passing out due to overindulgence he asks some of them "Have you heard of Dr. So n So (someone who synthesized ludes in S.Africa)". Yes Hamilton, this poor soul knows exactly who you are talking about. This is his shtick. He is a pseudo-intellectual who hides behind some rudimentary information then likes to ask addicts if they have heard of some obscure name in the history of an illegal substance. What a douche!

Then we realize Hamilton is just another Hipster wannabe. Soon all the chemistry talk is discarded. You see what Hamilton really wants to do is get high! With an air of superiority Hamiliton is going to show us how to get high "properly". He thumbs his nose at casual drug users, he is far better than them; he travels to the source and study's the history of the chemical. In reality, these episodes involve this ugly dork sitting around in his tight white pants laughing uninspiringly. He has no thoughtful insights, and nothing that is even mildly profound to say. It's all kinda sad really.

Now that's something I completely agree with. The number of pearl clutching repressed people who villify drugs and their users that would have a monumental reality shift if all their favourite actors, celebrities and political/religious leaders were all suddenly honest about their drug history. Not a day we will ever see unfortunately.
Most of them are all open about it already, so what is your point?

Dr. Hart is a radically intelligent individual. He's limited on what he can say in regards to Meth: He knows it's a Miracle Medication (In Low Doses). He knows it's vastly different from adderall. He just can't say it. Instead, he paints the two as the same in an attempt to normalize it (Meth) in the minds of the masses. Genius move.
I hope you were able to get some sober time or recovery or look at what METH did to you or talk to people who have been addicted to METH for decases and became addicts after their first time using it, yeah it is a real nootropic and boosts intelligence but that is the METH addiction lying to you...

Citation needed
Why should I bother? You would not believe it, and would go on with more navel-gazing, and theory. All types of drugs have been used from the very start of the film and TV, and music/entertainment industry. If you don't know this fact by now you need to get out more, and stop living in an ivory tower or under a rock. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🤷😂 Were you even alive during the 1960s through early 2000s? It was not any sort of secret then and is not now at all.

I will say this, sex is currency and while the arrests of Wankstain and Pill Cosby were justified, the casting couch games still go on, despite #metoo the paedophiles and rapists and sexual predators are still protected almost as bad as the Roman Catholic church does.

Many famous people live in locked closets in marriages of convenience, drug addiction is typical, supposed recovery is also an industry or used to feed narcisscism, roles are given out and films/TV series are made not based on originality, talent, identity politics, or actual friendship, but by $€£, nepotism, and based on how much €$€ they will make. Most Actors/actresses/musicians/celebrities are not the smartest people and don't realise that they will very quickly and easily eventually be replaced.

Most celebrities, politicians and religious leaders are and always have been open with their drug use? I guess I should leave my ivory tower more. Has there been a breakdown of communication here? 🤣

Hamilton Morris? He is your typical Brooklyn hipster trustafarian polydrug addict and will eventually overdose or all the decades of drug use/abuse/addiction will catch up to him. When will he inject heroin/fent, smoke METH, smoke actual PCP in a large dose, freebase cooked coke/smoke crack rocks, or boof the latest research chems?

He also caused someone in South Africa who is POZ HIV+, or living with AIDS from getting their meds all because he had to take Sustiva to get high. He is an idiot and obviously knows nothing about HIV/AIDS or anyone who has been living with HIV/AIDS and taking meds focusing on staying healthy.

I have friends who are POZ, have had HIV from the start in the late 1970s and before AZT was around they have been on all of the meds including Sustiva and HIV/AIDS and the meds are not fun and the short and long term side effects that they all have are not pleasurable or a high.
Frankly you seem to not know him very well, or at all, and may be projecting here. Just my opinion, though.

If you think he's an addict or hasn't already denounced the drugs you think he's going to overdose on, you haven't seen his work.

You seem to have formed an opinion based on one episode of his show... and for some reason you think he stole the HIV drugs from a sick person(?).