• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Drug Oxy Op Question

Bice

Greenlighter
Hello,

My cousin per say is taking 80 to 120 mg of OP's a day. He has been doing so for about 6 weeks. Before that they had not taken any pain medicine whatsoever.

He wants to know how to responsibly get off of the medicine. I am not experienced to advise him how to do so. He is worried that if he does it cold turkey he will get sick.

Is this true ? Can he do it cold turkey or should he try to taper off the medicine ? Also, he does not get the medicine from his doctor but from the streets so he cannot call his doctor

and get a lighter prescription.

I am hoping some more experienced people from this forum can answer this question. I am so glad this forum his here.

Thank you...

He should cold turkey. WDs from opioids are painful, but not lethal, unlike alcohol and benzodiazepines. He will get sick, it won't be fun, but he won't die. Trying to taper will only leave him with more opportunity to ramp back up his doses.

Also if he's really opioid naive I'm surprised he didn't puke his guts out daily. 80-120mg oxycodone is an ass ton for someone who has never taken any before. I've been using opioids on and off for years and never approached dosages like that.

Moving this to OD.

Yeah.... If the dosages are like two 80mg OC intravenously on a Day... The tolerance is quite great.... 🤔 But i think that maybe some People are solved that OC Addiction quite ok... I mean its fucking rough but WD of buprenorphine is a pain in the ass.... The symptoms last so damn long

IMHO, I would try to do sort of taper, even if it's only for a short time. I have been on insane amounts of opiates for decades and if I know I'm going to run out early (I get them legally FTR), it's a ton easier if you can taper some. Trust me, you'll still feel like shit and you'll be super tired but you won't be crapping yourself or projectile vomiting (trust me, I did both at the same time in one of my less memorable moments, thank you). That's been my experience at least. Good luck!