• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drug law reform - why is Australia so far behind?

I know at least one Bluelighter who has a large capacity fuel tank buried for end of days. Loads of farms out west also have fuel supplies to last them through the wet season. Ripe for the picking imo. Just need to weld some steel to the 4 by 4 and we are away.

^You've given this way too much thought, 1K - the whole Mad Max thing for reals, I mean:p

Sorry for derailing discussion of thread. It went awry, but still some great points brought up that had me thinking.

Reading through this thread I realized that this is going to be 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Threads like this should have bullshit warnings embedded into the title.

Great question and I'm going to throw my 2c in although everybody has left the building..

I think in particular the level of discourse on anything at all got destroyed by the Howard era. He managed with his team and Murdoch media support to promote anti-intellectualism as the dominant paradigm in pretty much every area of human activity. Now - being intelligent and educated makes you automatically suspect in the eyes of the masses. Also - we now live in the era of the professional politician. Getting elected and staying elected has become more important than what you actually do while you are elected. It is political suicide to drive any sort of conversation about drug law reform; or even harm reduction beyond what we already have in place. Jeff Kennett funded an inquiry that recommended 5 injecting rooms open across Melbourne in 2000 - Bracks came into power and dropped it like a warm turd. It's come back on the agenda in the last few years and it's still completely unwelcome by politicians. Basically - an enormous amount of effort has been spent creating this powerful (and wrong) discourse around "drugs are bad", "drug users are deviants" - it's hardly worth expending the political will to turn that around, particularly when you can just get elected by murmuring "tough on crime" and business as usual. Worth noting that a decade or so ago, the Greens did have drug law reform squarely in their platform - but it got them tarred with the "loony left" brush so they toned it down a little. The Australian Sex Party (and of course the Drug Law Reform Party) actively advocate for drug law reform - no-one else could give a toss

we now live in the era of the professional politician. Getting elected and staying elected has become more important than what you actually do while you are elected. It is political suicide to drive any sort of conversation about

...about anything that is going to stir the pot slightly.

Well put. Politicians are caricatures and their primary job is to look out for their own business - themselves.

Also, why are people abandoning this thread, calling it 'bullshit' and calling for a mass rush to the pub to drink ourselves into oblivion.

Since when was it bullshit to argue about something, and have differing views on a subject? I don't think this thread is a failure because it failed to elicit a group agreement, and it seems premature to slag it off and run away because it's a difficult topic with no clear answers in sight.

If I've misinterpreted people's comments disparaging the thread, then spell it out for me. I'd like to know why such a backlash has occurred.

A backlash occurred because people don't like being encouraged to think.

Ajay, that is one fine fucking post.
Really couldn't agree more.

You're a real asset to AusDD mate - no bullshit; just straight-down-the-line Harm Reduction -
and plenty of good, sound knowledge.

My experience with a lot (not all) of Australians is an inability to agree to disagree - I've seen people (even family members) throw away decades of friendship over a simple difference of opinion.
To me this is absurd - but I suppose that's why it's "controversial" to bring up a topic people are going to have diverging views on. But on the Australians section of the world's biggest HR drug forum?

Personally I couldn't give a fuck whether people think this thread was to stir shit - it wasn't; but if it stirred you up...good.
Apathy and complacency are part of the problem.
See how you feel when the Abbott government starts implementing/allowing across-the-board mandatory piss-tests for employment in the most arbitrary of jobs.
Like many things that start out in the US of A.

AusDD has to be one of the most anti-intellectual subforums on this site, and I wanted to bring a bit of conversation above the level of "my shard isn't getting me fucked like it used to" to the boards.

So, seeing the response this one got; ill keep it up :)

Last edited:
I guess the next question is - what can be done to improve the situation - to move us towards drug law reform and sensible drug policy in general? I'm still working on that.. For me there's a few things - one is advocacy through my professional networks (easy for me cos that's my job). One is being fairly out about my drug use. The parallel is with the gay rights movement - visibility of functional drug users may help turn public opinion about what is a drug user. Of course this holds some personal risk but I think it's an important part of the puzzle.

^ I think there is also an important distinction to be made between being "out about our drug use" and "fitting the stereotype of a user".
The more people realise that not everybody that consumes illegal substances is lazy, unreliable, incompetent, self indulgent "criminals" - that practically anyone in society may well be a drug user (regardless of intellect, social status, life accomplishments, financial standing, or whatever other Western materialist value judgements of worth people use) - the closer we will come to "breaking through" that artificially created social divide of the people who use legally accepted drugs - and the more "taboo" consciousness altering compounds.

More than drugs, I feel this whole issue is about people and control than drugs, specifically.

The more people that are widely respected, and are honest about their drug use, the better. Steve Jobs comes to mind.

And say what you will about President Obama - the series of articles (springing from a biography, I believe) a couple of years ago and his college-era enthusiasm for cannabis really helped put a human, respectable face on a world of pot smokers (past and present).
"If that guy got blazed all the time in his youth - and now he's a highly articulate statesman and President of the United States - maybe that shit ain't so life-destroying after all?"

Last edited:
Being an active member of the Drug law reform party (at least at the last election) really made me realize just hoe conservative Australian political parties are. I advise every one who is an Aussie BL'er to get involved in the next election and get behind the drug law reform party or even the Australian Sex Party. Hopefully the two groups can come to a consensus and back each other in the next election. Who knows with enough support and finances we may even have a member elected to the senate.

Speaking of out drug use - did anyone read this article in Monday's SMH?

I have used drugs and that is why I am coming forward to tell my story. I am a lawyer and my drug use has no connection with my job. It is a choice I have made.
I have had some positive experience with drugs, and of course some bad ones. I have had marijuana and laughed a great deal, but also experienced paranoia and anxiety. I have also had both good and bad experiences with hallucinogens and other drugs.

But in no way do I advocate that others should use drugs. I believe that using drugs should be a person’s own choice – whether they take traditionally legal drugs, such as alcohol and tobacco, or illicit ones, such as ecstasy, cocaine or marijuana.
I believe strongly that this choice should not be made by governments, but that people should be able to make their own, informed, choices.

As a point of discussion, I'm wondering if anyone has any specific thoughts on why the "war on drugs" still has such a firm grip in Australia's culture and political discourse?

With the initiator - and most aggressive proponent of prohibition, the United States - seeing a legitimisation of medical and recreational cannabis industries in several states (and looking like more states joining the likes of Colorado and Washington state in full legalisation [on a state level]) as well as a liberalisation of weed in Canada - and the relaxed approach to law enforcement of various substances in Holland and Portugal - and the recent cannabis law reform in Uruguay (that's all I can think of, off the top of my head) - why is the idea of reform so far from the Australian political dialogue?

People with terminal illnesses such as cancer are not providided any of the legitimate Medical Cannabis that some our friends across the pacific have set up to ease the suffering - instead, if you have a loved one going through the agony of terminal illness, you have to either stick with the side-effect-ridden pharmacologically accepted way of easing this suffering, or stick with buying marijuana illegally with little reassurance that the herb has been properly flushed of nutrients (if grown hydroponically), adequately cured, appropriately genetically selected - basically using cannabis as "medicine" in Australia is a total gamble; you could be doing a patient far more harm than good.
Granted, the Australian healthcare system is far more equitable, affordable and compassionate than the US system - but certain more cutting edge therapies seem unlikely to be even be considered in Australia.

Many psychoactive substances that are legal/quasi-legal in other western nations (Salvia Divinorum, Kratom - not to mention a host of "research chemicals" - are strictly banned in Australia, for better or worse)

From either of the major parties - even the Greens - there is generally silence or ridicule of law reform.
This is not related strictly to the incumbent federal government - we've seen many state governments actually recant or greatly back-peddle on the decriminalisation of cannabis (and banning of "smoking implements" in most Australian states in the last ~5 years).

To illustrate this point further, the human consumption of industrial hemp products are banned in very few countries except Australia.
I recently bought some delicious - and highly nutritious - hemp seeds.
All nutritional information (a huge list of proteins and minerals) was covered by a big sticker, which stated something to the effect of "for external use only" (which I quickly removed).

What's going on, Australia? Is shame (and fear of persecution) holding politicians and the public back from earnestly campaigning for law reform - or are we really as backwards as some of our political leaders' positons on the issue would indicate?
Is it the government's addiction to the tax revenue of booze and ciggies?

Is it the lobbying power of Big Tobacco, the alcohol industry (breweries, bottle shops, hotels - which have shrunk in number and grown in industry share in recent decades)?

Is it the pharmaceutical industry?

Or is it Australian culture? The will of the people?

What is holding Australia back?

Mate for the love of baby jesus will you empty your inbox.

As a point of discussion, I'm wondering if anyone has any specific thoughts on why the "war on drugs" still has such a firm grip in Australia's culture and political discourse?

With the initiator - and most aggressive proponent of prohibition, the United States - seeing a legitimisation of medical and recreational cannabis industries in several states (and looking like more states joining the likes of Colorado and Washington state in full legalisation [on a state level]) as well as a liberalisation of weed in Canada - and the relaxed approach to law enforcement of various substances in Holland and Portugal - and the recent cannabis law reform in Uruguay (that's all I can think of, off the top of my head) - why is the idea of reform so far from the Australian political dialogue?

People with terminal illnesses such as cancer are not providided any of the legitimate Medical Cannabis that some our friends across the pacific have set up to ease the suffering - instead, if you have a loved one going through the agony of terminal illness, you have to either stick with the side-effect-ridden pharmacologically accepted way of easing this suffering, or stick with buying marijuana illegally with little reassurance that the herb has been properly flushed of nutrients (if grown hydroponically), adequately cured, appropriately genetically selected - basically using cannabis as "medicine" in Australia is a total gamble; you could be doing a patient far more harm than good.
Granted, the Australian healthcare system is far more equitable, affordable and compassionate than the US system - but certain more cutting edge therapies seem unlikely to be even be considered in Australia.

Many psychoactive substances that are legal/quasi-legal in other western nations (Salvia Divinorum, Kratom - not to mention a host of "research chemicals" - are strictly banned in Australia, for better or worse)

From either of the major parties - even the Greens - there is generally silence or ridicule of law reform.
This is not related strictly to the incumbent federal government - we've seen many state governments actually recant or greatly back-peddle on the decriminalisation of cannabis (and banning of "smoking implements" in most Australian states in the last ~5 years).

To illustrate this point further, the human consumption of industrial hemp products are banned in very few countries except Australia.
I recently bought some delicious - and highly nutritious - hemp seeds.
All nutritional information (a huge list of proteins and minerals) was covered by a big sticker, which stated something to the effect of "for external use only" (which I quickly removed).

What's going on, Australia? Is shame (and fear of persecution) holding politicians and the public back from earnestly campaigning for law reform - or are we really as backwards as some of our political leaders' positons on the issue would indicate?
Is it the government's addiction to the tax revenue of booze and ciggies?

Is it the lobbying power of Big Tobacco, the alcohol industry (breweries, bottle shops, hotels - which have shrunk in number and grown in industry share in recent decades)?

Is it the pharmaceutical industry?

Or is it Australian culture? The will of the people?

What is holding Australia back?

The optimistic view is that we are in the process of moving towards progressive law reform, but that it's a slow and gradual process. I mean, we've just had the first MP elected to state parliament who ran on a platform largely focussing on drug decriminalisation (Fiona Patton, Australian Sex Party, Victoria). She's one person, but it's a good sign that that platform isn't the electoral poison it would have been in recent decades.

Additionally, more and more people are speaking out in support of harm reduction - see Jeff Kennett, previous opponent to medically supervised injection centres, speaking out in favour of them.

If you just looked at those two facts and ignored things like the increasing militarisation of the police force and the rapidly escalating incarceration of low level drug offenders, you might think the picture looked very rosy indeed :)

Well that's what's known as the majority of society, and in a democracy you need the majority to want change to see it enacted.

I'd like to pretend we'd base our laws on evidence and the common good, but I guess you're right. Indigenous people are a tiny minority of the population, which I guess explains why policies that continue genocide keep being okayed by the general population. Give it ten years without change, though, and those Indigenous people will make up the majority of the prison population. A significant number are there for drug offences. If you're disproportionately affected by a facet of the legal system, surely your needs should be a primary focus in how that system operates?