• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drug law reform - why is Australia so far behind?

spacejunk

Bluelight Crew
As a point of discussion, I'm wondering if anyone has any specific thoughts on why the "war on drugs" still has such a firm grip in Australia's culture and political discourse?

With the initiator - and most aggressive proponent of prohibition, the United States - seeing a legitimisation of medical and recreational cannabis industries in several states (and looking like more states joining the likes of Colorado and Washington state in full legalisation [on a state level]) as well as a liberalisation of weed in Canada - and the relaxed approach to law enforcement of various substances in Holland and Portugal - and the recent cannabis law reform in Uruguay (that's all I can think of, off the top of my head) - why is the idea of reform so far from the Australian political dialogue?

People with terminal illnesses such as cancer are not providided any of the legitimate Medical Cannabis that some our friends across the pacific have set up to ease the suffering - instead, if you have a loved one going through the agony of terminal illness, you have to either stick with the side-effect-ridden pharmacologically accepted way of easing this suffering, or stick with buying marijuana illegally with little reassurance that the herb has been properly flushed of nutrients (if grown hydroponically), adequately cured, appropriately genetically selected - basically using cannabis as "medicine" in Australia is a total gamble; you could be doing a patient far more harm than good.
Granted, the Australian healthcare system is far more equitable, affordable and compassionate than the US system - but certain more cutting edge therapies seem unlikely to be even be considered in Australia.

Many psychoactive substances that are legal/quasi-legal in other western nations (Salvia Divinorum, Kratom - not to mention a host of "research chemicals" - are strictly banned in Australia, for better or worse)

From either of the major parties - even the Greens - there is generally silence or ridicule of law reform.
This is not related strictly to the incumbent federal government - we've seen many state governments actually recant or greatly back-peddle on the decriminalisation of cannabis (and banning of "smoking implements" in most Australian states in the last ~5 years).

To illustrate this point further, the human consumption of industrial hemp products are banned in very few countries except Australia.
I recently bought some delicious - and highly nutritious - hemp seeds.
All nutritional information (a huge list of proteins and minerals) was covered by a big sticker, which stated something to the effect of "for external use only" (which I quickly removed).

What's going on, Australia? Is shame (and fear of persecution) holding politicians and the public back from earnestly campaigning for law reform - or are we really as backwards as some of our political leaders' positons on the issue would indicate?
Is it the government's addiction to the tax revenue of booze and ciggies?

Is it the lobbying power of Big Tobacco, the alcohol industry (breweries, bottle shops, hotels - which have shrunk in number and grown in industry share in recent decades)?

Is it the pharmaceutical industry?

Or is it Australian culture? The will of the people?

What is holding Australia back?

Last edited:
As I've never really lived elsewhere it's hard for me to compare

But the first thing that springs to mind is that it seems like we have less of a 'progressive' contingent over here, as compared to parts of America and (especially) Western Europe/Scandinavia, espousing progressive beliefs doesn't seem to carry quite the social currency here as it does there, there is less political correctness here, etc and maybe I am wrong, but isn't it the 'progressive' side of politics that is the force behind/most open to the sort of drug law reform you've talked about?

Just brainstorming really

Perhaps there is more hostility towards the 'out-group' in Australian culture, where in this case 'out-group' is 'drug users'. However most places I read say that we use recreational drugs at a higher rate than most of the rest of the world. But I don't believe those two facts (if they are facts) can't exist alongside one another

Just brainstorming really
Good - that's what I was hoping for; you make some very good points. I hadn't considered the (apparent) statistic of Australians being some of the highest (no pun intended) consumers if drugs in the developed world.
Is it a case of learned-shame, or fear?
Of the haves, and have-nots - users feeling stigmatised to the point of being in favour of - or complicit in - prohibition?

All very interesting.
And I agree that we lack a strong progressive voice - the voice of the "left" as represented in the mainstream press is more centrist - or centre-right than progressive.
And of course the media's agenda is openly conservative and totally lacking in diverse points of view.
Good points, all of 'em.

Australians don't exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to showing restraint with alcohol. Booze culture and getting fucked up is pretty much entrenched in the national psyche, so for many the likely outcome of drug law reform is more of the same, only with added crazy.

When you compare law enforcement with the US, Australia has it easier in terms of persecution also. The heavy handed sentencing and extreme zero tolerance laws there simply gave more importance to reducing the negative effects of the legal consequences that many young Americans face. By comparison Australian law enforcement has a much more relaxed outlook on recreational drug use. Unless you are trafficking or producing you are more likely to face a slap on the wrist. My circle of friends have no trouble sourcing drugs and rarely if ever face criminal consequences of our use. There just isn't the urgency to fight when our current lifestyle would not be greatly affected.

The State governments in Australia are also nothing more than a glorified council level with no real ability to introduce such a ground breaking legislation. Gay marriage is another example where the federal government simply over rules any such attempts. The federal level is where such laws will be decided, and unlike Latin America you won't find Canberra wanting to take on the American government in a show of defiance anytime soon.

To illustrate this point further, the human consumption of industrial hemp products are banned in very few countries except Australia.
I recently bought some delicious - and highly nutritious - hemp seeds.
All nutritional information (a huge list of proteins and minerals) was covered by a big sticker, which stated something to the effect of "for external use only" (which I quickly removed).

That sucks. Does anyone know the the status of hemp oil. Specifically a product containing high CBD and no THC derived from industrial hemp?

That sucks. Does anyone know the the status of hemp oil. Specifically a product containing high CBD and no THC derived from industrial hemp?

In Australia? Illegal. Zero THC and Zero CBD plants are illegal here.

My circle of friends have no trouble sourcing drugs and rarely if ever face criminal consequences of our use. There just isn't the urgency to fight when our current lifestyle would not be greatly affected.

If your circle of friends are upper middle class over 25 and non indigenous I'm not surprised.
If you are young and unable to partake in the privacy of your own home or respectable venue, or if you belong to a conspicuous minority it stands to reason you are more likely to be caught up in the system as a result of drug use

Thank fuck we don't have the US style approach though. Most of my peer group would have a record or have done time whereas as it stands only a couple do and most have been let off lightly. Seems to be at the discretion of the officer in many cases, which gives me the shits.

I think Australia is just really lazy about it. Granted we don't have as much motivation because our prison system isn't so screwed up, but at the end of the day, Americans got out there and got shit done. They made it happen, instead of just sitting back and bitching that it isn't happening.

I think it's an issue of education. And I'm not necessarily talking about drug education. I think this is the result of having a seriously conservative national psyche. Especially when it comes to the "knowledge" that is valued in our society, like interpretations of the law (the if your not doing anything wrong brigade), an absurd fear of left wing politics, a skewed view of history and, especially, what is taught in the humanities/social sciences departments of Australian universities.

When I did my undergrad, I studied on exchange in both Latin America and Europe. The first thing I noticed was the students were generally much more sceptical of authority, and university staff openly supported it. It was refreshing to write essays in some cases which didn't require a million references to the literature. And it was even better that academics, outside major projects, ie. a thesis, wanted to know what I thought as opposed to wanting proof that I'd read whichever theorists suited the university's economic agenda. In Australia, this towing-the-line research (which brings more funding to the faculty) becomes even more pronounced at postgraduate level.

Both Latin Americans and Europeans are actively engaged with politics and will stand up as soon as they're unhappy with the government. Latin American and European students are supported when they want to explore their own perceptions, not shown a particular way to think and believe. The general Australia is stupid as fuck. We (not us) don't know how to think for ourselves. Drugs are bad. Money is the only goal you need in life. If you don't like footy, you're a poof.

The very people in Australia, who usually possess more revolutionary ideas in other parts of the world, those who are supposed to drive change are pushed into a black and white box when they should be ripping up what came before them.

This is the way it's always been. This is how things work. Repeat what you've read and you'll succeed. Believe it. Regurgitate it. Succeed.

Put simply: Australians are dumb as fuck.

There just isn't the urgency to fight when our current lifestyle would not be greatly affected.

I think this is a good point.

Australian's are generally apathetic towards politics.

When was the last time the people of Australia stood up en masse for change of any social issue?

I also wonder how much control our one paper media system has exerted on public opinion when it comes to drugs.

I think it's an issue of education. And I'm not necessarily talking about drug education. I think this is the result of having a seriously conservative national psyche. Especially when it comes to the "knowledge" that is valued in our society, like interpretations of the law (the if your not doing anything wrong brigade), an absurd fear of left wing politics, a skewed view of history and, especially, what is taught in the humanities/social sciences departments.

If you don't like footy, you're a poof.

Put simply: Australians are dumb as fuck.
Very well said, thank you :)

When was the last time the people of Australia stood up en masse for change of any social issue

I would say 11 years ago - feb/march 2003 when 1 million + Australians took to the streets against the war in Iraq.

The Coalition (in govt, as well as the "coalition of the willing" pro war nations) ignored and mocked us then, as they continue to snub political social movements. I think part of our apathy is a result of a history of "people power" being dismissed by the powers that be in Australia - whether it was sending conscripted Australian troops "all the way with LBJ" to the Vietnam War, "the Dismissal" of Whitlam (the guy with the guts to bring our troops home from that brutal war) to the arrogance shown by every government since Whitlam in cow-towing to the USA's interests in Australia.

Many political historians see Whitlam's dismissal as a CIA-backed coup - certainly the secrecy of the US presence in Pine Gap (among other places where "war games" are conducted with live armaments, such as in Lancelin, WA) lends some credibility to this - as does documentary evidence, according to some writers (who I could dig up references for, if anyone is interested).
The fear of Australian politicians is not of the electorate (as it should be) but of our Imperial masters.
But this is what I find confusing - if the yanks are liberalising their stance on cannabis (in some states, but also [more quietly] federally) - why aren't we seeing a push (socially and/or politically) towards cannabis law reform in Australia as well?
I think we have been trained into thinking that political activism is pointless in this country; that governments do as they please and pander to the interests (corporate or international) that give them the most power - the electorate are merely an easily manipulated, gullible bunch of people in the eyes of our "honourable representatives".
The dialogue we engage in is produced, constrained and at times inflamed by the corporate press.
Governments spend more time negotiating with the big media players (who are tied in with all manner of big industries and advertisers - many of whom would be threatened by industrial, medical or legally sanctioned use of substances such as hemp/cannabis.

Edit - I have seen hemp oil for sale in Australia, but am unsure of its content.
Unless I'm mistaken, i believe CBD is psychoactive, so it is highly unlikely to be present in the commercially available hemp oil. I could be wrong.
I love the seeds though - nutritious and delicious!

Last edited:
In Australia? Illegal. Zero THC and Zero CBD plants are illegal here.

The body shop sells all kinds of hemp products. I don't want the plants I just want the cbd.

I should look it up but could not be fucked.

Well that's what's known as the majority of society, and in a democracy you need the majority to want change to see it enacted.

Yeah I belong to that demographic and benefit from those assumptions. Doesn't mean prohibition isn't used against the young and the black as an easy way to keep them under control.

The status quo suits me as it is but it doesn't mean it's fair.

Ruling only for the majority is akin to mob rule. Or to put it more politely - the politics of extreme complacency - and inflated fears (where it suits the elite) whether those fears are based in any sort of reality, or just manipulation.
Ruling for people who denigrate environmentalism, workers' rights, international obligations - and sensible drug policy; that seems to be where we are at right now.
Whatever year it is, middle Australia seems to only really engage with new gadgets or disractions; seldom any new ways of thinking.
Australia's egalitarian myth has taken a back seat to a bunch of weird class-shifts in recent years (ie "cashed up bogans" - traditionally the working class, are now the new "yuppie"...or something). Not a bad thing - but not a shift to base a national character on either.
It seems the greed and selfish desires of the new middle class (with all the xenophobia and prejudice intact, but with greater economic leverage and social mobility) is driving politics in an increasingly conservative direction.
The vulnerable in society need to be treated with dignity - not fear, persecution or stereotypes.
The way communities treat their most troubled members is a clear reflection on the society itself.

Australia's rate of indigenous incarceration is rather characteristic of where we've long been going wrong, amongst many other examples.

Last edited:
Intelligent, educated Aussie who thinks the sport the ignorant masses of my country define as "football" is a fucking joke and the gayest display of meathead faggotry to ever grace the field by that name.

Also yes we're backwards on a lot of things, but as stated above - thank fuck we don't get reamed in the same way US citizens do when they're busted with minuscule amounts of anything.

What? What's wrong with AFL (you mean AFL? or rugby? what's wrong with either?) What does sport have to do with drug policy?

^I think something got mixed up in the comprehension department. Nothing wrong with any sport. The conduct of players/fans of a sport might be messed up, but a sport is a game which requires people to make it good/bad/whatever.

The general Australia is stupid as fuck.

When you say the "general Australia" I guess you mean the dominant mainstream culture of Australia. In that, I agree not only that it is stupid, but it's dangerously stupid. The thing about that, however, is that mainstream culture (music, fashion, ideologies, etc) are things like games which require people to 'activate' them.

What appears to be enormous and all pervasive - the media influence which drives mainstream culture - is mostly an illusion. I wonder what the collective population of smartphones, TVs, PCs, and other media consuming devices is in Australia? I bet there are many more devices (outlets) than there are actual people here.

The stupidity being pushed, that which has such a noisy voice and glittering facade, appears much larger than it is. People can change their minds - or have their minds changed (big distinction) in an instant.

We have a toxic culture. No doubt. But I see more and more people, from any background you can think of, who are sick of it and they're looking for something else. So a pertinent question is: "What else is out there?"

The countries which are changing their attitude toward drug reform - are they good 'role models' for Australia in other ways? What is their dominant culture like?

As per ever, it is up to each and every individual to make their own culture and live by their own ideals - while finding a way to compromise so that they fit with all the other millions of individuals out there. It's not impossible. It's the ultimate cultural possibility.