• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Drug Hoaxes

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
I was pondering about some funny hoaxes I remember hearing about, in which people basically invent a fake psychoactive drug to troll other people.

Two that come to mind are:

- Bananadine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bananadine

The song "Mellow Yellow" from the 60s was misinterpreted to be about getting high from smoking banana peels. This rumor ultimately became widespread, resulting in further elaboration into reality by students in Berkeley, California who jokingly wrote an article about it. Even the author of The Anarchist Cookbook believed it to be true and there is a section in the book devoted to 'Bananadine'.

- 5-MeOw-DMT (I can't find any info on this, but recall it vividly)

I recall a rather popular troll going around on the internet in either the late 90's and early 00's. There was a quite detailed fake extraction tek and rumor that cat urine contained the fake tryptamine 5-MeOw-DMT. Some naive younger people took it seriously and actually tried to extract drugs from their cat's litter box, hilarity ensued.

There was a South Park episode(s) later made which referred to this hoax:

I'm sure there are more hoaxes out there, if anyone else can remember any.

Last edited:
I tried to make the banana peel thing as a freshman in high school.

Also, there was a thing about orange peels? Letting it ferment under the fridge maybe. Knew a couple of people who tried that.

It was soon after these missteps I found someone who would sell me weed. Never looked back on that shit.

Tried banana peels as a 15 year old. I knew it was likely a hoax didn't think it would do anything, but I tried anything cheap or free at the time.
That one was mostly to troll the powers that be.
There was a huge outcry from the authorities then about "Puff the Magic Dragon" being about a puff from a Mary Jane cigarette. Then there was a contest at my local radio station asking folks to guess what a "toke" was in "One Toke Over The Line" 'cause they actually didn't know.
Clueless authority figures perpetuating fake drug scares is nothing new.

Last edited:
Anyone remember "rabbit tobacco"? lol
Tried it as a kid and def a hoax.
Maybe other potential medicinal uses like most anything but to get high onnit was and is a laugh to me to this day.

Was the McAfee claim about extracting some kind of oil out of MDPV a hoax?

The entire campaign to promote Ketamine as a party drug.....

Must have been some kind of practical joke/hoax

Snorting the spice 'nootmuskaat' is also a famous hoax over here, as well as smoking banana peels, a hoax related to drugs is that if you are paranoid from weed drinking milk makes it go away, another hoax is that you would experience euphoria from 5 htp, what to me feels like a hoax is nitrous oxide, never have any effects from it...

That ketamine was just for horses. Not a hoax but a misinformation at least.

That amph in its pure form was a paste. Similar for other drugs of abuse. That coke should numb your nose like lidocaine. Etc

Another hoax is that if you buy a recreational amount of g's coke from the main sources around that it would actually be a full g... (the last decade it was bad, down to 0.6 at some point, now since a while it is 0.8, the quality of coke went up with 20% from 40 to 60 till now 76... there is over supply, k's coke are rotting away in dealers there depo, the prices in colombia are also drupping due to both oversupply as well as progress in the processes involved; both a better harvest by the farmers as well as a better production process by the chemists, yielding also more amount, higher purity and less impurities, both over here as there leading to a lot of competition... over here the amount g's you have to order to get one g free extra has dropped with one to two g's, also they give ten percent discounts, are more easily immediately available late at night or early morning and they tolerate me stalking them with texts for 20 minutes while they are on the way 'where are you by now??? How long till youre here by now??? Hahaha me and my gf do that non stop with both our phones to the boss his phone, haha just to fuck with them for the shit quality, high prices and poor service up until a while ago... it are good times and prognose for the next yrs is looking just as good... Im curious how this is going to affect these things globally...

Do any of you.notice this?

Last edited:
I tried to make the banana peel thing as a freshman in high school.

Also, there was a thing about orange peels? Letting it ferment under the fridge maybe. Knew a couple of people who tried that.

It was soon after these missteps I found someone who would sell me weed. Never looked back on that shit.
I went to inpatient rehab for the first time at 17 years old in 2006 and was told by another patient there that one could trip off of orange peels if you put toothpaste on them and let them sit for a few days. We actually did this process but never ended up ingesting them probably because ewww. I also remember reading about the bananadine in The Anarchist Cookbook when I was like 14. I never tried it though and later found out it was a hoax, but I definitely believed it at the time.

Snorting the spice 'nootmuskaat' is also a famous hoax over here, as well as smoking banana peels, a hoax related to drugs is that if you are paranoid from weed drinking milk makes it go away, another hoax is that you would experience euphoria from 5 htp, what to me feels like a hoax is nitrous oxide, never have any effects from it...

The milk thing isn’t a hoax. Eating fatty foods helps reduce the effects of cannabis, this was passed down from my dad as one trick to kill a high but also as a warning to avoid if looking to prolong a high.

Times where I got way too high, milk was the first thing I reached for cuz it’s full of fats and easy to drink in that state.

-GC