• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Double amputee soldier on fet patch probs??? Help!!!

EastCoast

Bluelighter
Now I?m on 25ug patch to start and so far it works great for pain in actual limbs but 12 hours before the 72 mark to switch I start getting sick...
anyone else have this problem?!? Or have answers ...I actually switched my patch 12 hours earlier took my old patch only chewed on it for 2-3 mins (just for w/d relieve) if 2-3 mins even really does much idk but now I feel back to normal and not high ... I?m also on benzos prescribe by doc which I worry about BUT I?m supposed to take 2 mg 2x daily of xanax and kolonopin 2mg at night

now OT I will admit the kolonopin I eat too much of during day and night but xanax I actually refuse to take during day like that and only take 2-3mg at night to sleep ... that?s just another question on safety

BUT my main concern is my first question and and am I alone and how can that be because wen I chewed on old patch for couple minutes it was strong tasting so that means it still had to be working no?!!
And also gaba(nuerotin) seems to work great for phantom pain in legs but not toes !? Idk now I?m rambling

PS before u mention I am a HIGH tolerant user unfortunately before deployment I had issues with heroin and wen I went over seas I dabbled in the stuff we convesicTed which was pure for a very long time . So don?t worry my tolerance unfortunately is dumb high! And I told the docs this and they only gave me 25/ug/hr to start. I was hoping for 50 but fuck it because 25 works for pain and no euphoria which I?m glad about because heroin is away from my life especially after losing my limbs right above the knee... and don?t sorry I?ll be walking again ;)

im not here to hear thank u for ur service because u all know that but we all have one thing in common and thats addiction and I need answers more on my first question ...

Fent patches will slowly stop delivering effective amounts of medication over time, there will still be a good bit left in the patch but the levels have dropped down enough that it is no longer delivering an effective dose. Always save your old patches for this reason. Talk to your doctor about this, upping the dose delivered by the patch will only be a temporary fix as your tolerance will rise and you'll be left with the same problem. He either needs to prescribe the patches in a manner which lets you switch them after 48 hours, or more likely, prescribe something to take during this last 12 hours. You will need to be careful to not use this add on medication just for breakthrough pain and save it for when the patch is wearing off but its not time to switch yet, or else you will raise your tolerance and run out of medication. It doesn't sound like you have something prescribed for breakthrough pain, I don't know if this is a problem for you or not, if it is then perhaps you can kill two birds with one stone by adding on something IR but with enough that it can be used for breakthrough pain and to cover the last 12 hours of the patch. if breakthrough pain isn't a problem then you may want to get something ER to cover the entire 12 hours. Your doctor may also be more comfortable prescribing something ER with an abuse deterrent built in.

Now what I am about to say probably isn't the best HR, but its no more risky than chewing the patches, when you get to that last 12 hours, you can apply a heating pad(or hand/boot warmers if no heating pad available) to coax the last bit of fent out of the patch.
If you are content with your pain management outside of this last 12 hours, I would highly advise you first seek a solution that doesn't involve adding more opioids to the mix.

Last edited:
Appreciate that I will bring up exactly that wen I see him on the 17th....he did give me oxycodone perc for breakthrough but they doooo nothing for the pain I deal with BUT they probably would work for the WDS if I eat 2-3 but I?m trying to stay away from opiate highs that part of my life is OVeR but it probably won?t do that since it will only help those 12 hour wds but ..... u said to keep old patches and I thought if same thing for moments like that sooo I kept my old one from yesterday and just for the test not the addict way I took a tiny piece off and I tasted nothhhinnnggg like it was totally dry and had no fent ... does that mean a thing ? My guess is there is probably still plenty of fent in it right ??? It?s been sitting there for about 15 hours dry and it was no taste wen I took the one off .....but yesterday wen I was but mostly WD and chewed on the littlest piece while I switched patches I had a strong taste still in that same patch???? Any thoughts

the fact you're getting a bit sick 60 hours into it is natural, and probably a bit beneficial as it's likely going to help keep your tolerance low.

sorry to hear about the amputations, and I hope you aren't in too much pain.

if oxycodone does nothing for the pain, tell him. there are stronger breakthrough pain relievers.

The only patches I have personal experience with are the duragesics...I can't comment on any correlation between taste and potency of old patches, but I could see how chewing a warm patch recently removed from your body could more readily release fent from the matrix compared to the same patch after sitting dry at room temp overnight, but the actual amount of fent in the patch shouldn't change. It is pretty well documented that in most formulations after 72 hours a large percentage of the total fent is still there but the concentration is too low to penetrate into the bloodstream through your skin, but with either chewing or some extraction technique and patience you should be able to get it out to have handy for WDs. I understand this is all about managing your pain and WD, and not to get high, I don't doubt that. And it seems you understand how behavior like this started with all the best intentions can turn on you in the long run, so it really would be better to find some solution your doctor is on board with so you can follow his treatment protocol.

edit:

the fact you're getting a bit sick 60 hours into it is natural, and probably a bit beneficial as it's likely going to help keep your tolerance low.

QFT

But I don't know how bad the experience is, I wouldn't expect you to sit through pain and WD every 3 days if its not something you can handle, that wouldn't be fair to you, but as I said, you should try to find a way of dealing with this that involves putting the least amount of additional narcotics into your bloodstream, or even try applying heat to the patch, could even use a blow dryer, although this will introduce more fent into your bloodstream and won't do any favors for your tolerance, if it can get you over that hump without sending you home with another bottle of painkillers, given your history that is probably for the best, or it might be better to follow the doctors directions to a T, and avoid any behavior that involves manipulating your medication or straying from the prescribed regime just to stay in that mindset that you are going to follow the docs directions and nothing else. you do you

Last edited:
U guys been great thanks . I still. Have that old fet patch bit it?s been in a cold room maybe if it happens again I?ll have a coffee while letting sit in mouth or something !!