• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Don't amphetamines get people with AD/HD, OCD, depression, high?

Irina

Greenlighter
As far as it is a med for AD/HD - don't amphetamines make ill people high?
I don't know if I have AD/HD - very probably. as I sure have OCD, depression, and all these illnesses are one and the same company often.
But amph made me just calm, sleepy..not in a pleasant way. No high, no euphoria. Like a glass of shitty wine.
So, do I have AD/HD or why?

People say the quality's ok.

Having a specific reaction to a dose of amphetamine is not a way to determine if you have ADHD. For that, you should see a doctor.

Stimulants don't effect people with ADD any differently than others
https://www.nature.com/articles/1301164

Stimulants such as methylphenidate and amphetamine are currently the most common treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). For years, it was assumed that stimulants had paradoxical calming effects in ADHD patients, whereas stimulating ‘normal’ individuals and producing locomotor activation in rats. It is now known that low doses of stimulants focus attention and improve executive function in both normal and ADHD subjects. Furthermore, the seminal work of Kuczenski and Segal showed that low, oral doses of methylphenidate reduce locomotor activity in rats as well.

Plenty of people with ADD take these drugs to get high, which is probably a bad idea.

They are given small doses to help them focus in class or at work; too much and they could get high, and wouldn't focus. At least, they wouldn't focus on what they should.

I'm guessing it's like beer and billiards. I'm always bad at it, but there's a definite ability curve: sober not too good, improvement with beer, peaking at two pints, then dropping rapidly with each additional pint until my friends start hiding my cue stick.

Stimulants don't effect people with ADD any differently than others
https://www.nature.com/articles/1301164

Stimulants such as methylphenidate and amphetamine are currently the most common treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). For years, it was assumed that stimulants had paradoxical calming effects in ADHD patients, whereas stimulating ‘normal’ individuals and producing locomotor activation in rats. It is now known that low doses of stimulants focus attention and improve executive function in both normal and ADHD subjects. Furthermore, the seminal work of Kuczenski and Segal showed that low, oral doses of methylphenidate reduce locomotor activity in rats as well.

Yeah, the whole "NUH-UH STIMULANTS WORK DIFFERENTLY ON PEOPLE WITH ADHD YOU GUISE!!!" always sounded like marketing BS to me.

Guess it's just more palatable to doctors and caregivers than a complex risk/benefit assessment: "Sure, dopaminergic stims have a high potential for abuse, but when used responsibly at relatively low doses to treat ADHD, the benefits of increased focus outweigh the risks. And as far as stimulants go, dextroamphetamine may be considered more addictive than methylphenidate, but it is also more well-tolerated. Dosis solam facit venenum, et cetera."

Ambitious but tired people everywhere, crowded in their pretentious hangouts, textbooks open, plug enormous volumes of caffeine at unsafe doses, attaining energy and warding off sleep. Many develop crippling addictions, along with jitters, nervousness, paranoia, and loose stools.

Many believe their brains must be different from normal, relaxed mornings-only users--some genetic curse producing an overabundance of adenosine receptors. Only their precious drug can allow them to function in the world.

Adenosine smothers their world.

People are too quick to think DA and NE (release? reception?) are the cause of ADD symptoms, and these drugs work directly to fix some chemical inefficiency. The stims may only compensate for some far-removed originator, and in fifty years we'll all be properly horrified we gave speed to kids.

I am ADHD and I was diagnosed when I was 7-8 stop taking/no long my litterally a cunt ass doctor die to me smoking weed it's legal where I am but any way I won't effect u the same way as meth due to it being "cleaner" and well what add/ADHD is is that a person with it is lacking a chemical can't remeber name but.most people it's on a rapid "spray like output for add/ADHD people it's more or less on drip so meds help produce the chemical
Hope that made sense

I am ADHD and I was diagnosed when I was 7-8 stop taking/no long my litterally a cunt ass doctor die to me smoking weed it's legal where I am but any way I won't effect u the same way as meth due to it being "cleaner" and well what add/ADHD is is that a person with it is lacking a chemical can't remeber name but.most people it's on a rapid "spray like output for add/ADHD people it's more or less on drip so meds help produce the chemical
Hope that made sense

^^It definitely did not lol.

Think its long been established those with ADHD can get high off stimulants. I dont think therapeutic doses are necessarily all that intoxicating assuming they are used correctly but thats true of those without ADHD too. Should put this topic to bed.

Hope that made sense

Absolutely non whatsoever...no offence but it was an unreadable jumble of seemingly random words....

There are way too many tweakers out there rationalizing their abuse of stims because they got an ADD diagnosis as kids and believe their brains are "different".

It you were on ADHD meds for a very long time, I think you'll retain a certain kind of tolerance to therapeutic levels of stims. I mean, taking it is just like riding a bicycle. You remember what it's like to be on stims.

But your brain works the same way as everybody else (well, you might be special there, Smoked, just not cause of the ADD), and you will get just as high and just as addicted if you start abusing meth or cocaine or RC stims.