• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

dog blues

Robi

Bluelighter
my tiny pup now has seizures after 800 dollars of dental work later, i read alot and got a hold of phenobarb and it helps but im running out and dont want her to withdrawl, ive got gabapentin, and xanax , all which vets can give dogs, they want near 2k for MRI, etc, i have to keep a roof over our heads so cant take her for scans, anyways, im worried for liver enzymes,correct dosage, freakin everything she my only friend , my joy, my damn kid, im the crazy dog lady for sure, but i wanted to know if anyone has/had a pet with seizures, and did anything help, heck i am trying cbd and tryptophan, boiled chicken with suggested veges, no shit dog kibble, just seems the pheno is best, but she seems to need more after about 4 month using it, i got xanax , i want to take it because of this damn dog is jolting in my arms, but gosh now we both are lil junkies...please advise negative or postive feedback or experience, im not a thin skinned snow flake, just broken hearted

How big is the dog? For an average sized dog xanax can be given at a dose of 1-2mg every 6-12 hours as needed. You can try the CBD some people say it works just as good. They sell it as doggy treats here now. My avatar is my dog. He used to take 3mg at bed time whenever we traveled away from the house. I know that sounds like a big dose but he's a big dog and like me he requires a big dose to obtain sleep. He gets massive anxiety whenever we stay in a hotel or a strange house. During the day I kept his doses at 1mg with a meal if he was showing signs of anxiety. He doesn't like new people so typically we'd both get into the xanax bottle before attending events with lots of new folks.

Start low though. I started him off with 0.25mg and went up from there before eventually settling on the above doses. You probably won't require such high doses for seizures. Do keep in mind that my dog is VERY large. What he eats in a week a mid-sized dog couldn't finish in a month. My dog can drink beer all night and not even stumble. I don't give him alcohol on purpose but he's an asshole that likes to knock over beers and lap them up when no one is looking. I had to compromise by giving him half a can of beer on Fridays with his steak. I spoil him.

TL -------> H&R

I'm not sure where exactly this would fit, but I figured it's a serious enough question that it shouldn't be in the lounge.

H&R mods if you feel it really doesn't fit here and you have a better idea of where to send it, feel free.

How big is the dog? For an average sized dog xanax can be given at a dose of 1-2mg every 6-12 hours as needed. You can try the CBD some people say it works just as good. They sell it as doggy treats here now. My avatar is my dog. He used to take 3mg at bed time whenever we traveled away from the house. I know that sounds like a big dose but he's a big dog and like me he requires a big dose to obtain sleep. He gets massive anxiety whenever we stay in a hotel or a strange house. During the day I kept his doses at 1mg with a meal if he was showing signs of anxiety. He doesn't like new people so typically we'd both get into the xanax bottle before attending events with lots of new folks.

Start low though. I started him off with 0.25mg and went up from there before eventually settling on the above doses. You probably won't require such high doses for seizures. Do keep in mind that my dog is VERY large. What he eats in a week a mid-sized dog couldn't finish in a month. My dog can drink beer all night and not even stumble. I don't give him alcohol on purpose but he's an asshole that likes to knock over beers and lap them up when no one is looking. I had to compromise by giving him half a can of beer on Fridays with his steak. I spoil him.
(thank you for moving my posts whom ever tyty, so new and so lost but learning quickly), and ty for response HP&LSD, my dog prolly weigh 6 pounds, so yeah im super nervous and careful, but her tolerance.whew! im going to try mybe .5 cut 4 ways, give her one piece perhaps.figure out the gabapin ,means much to connect with another about drugs for quadrapedal and bi pedal sentient beings, and i had pug that use to knock over beer, then run around the couch all play angry, learned to keep beer up cuz he was so small, gosh beer and steak, im coming back next life as a stripper pole or a cute lab with big liquid pools of puppy dog eyes and show up on your steps.........all silliness aside ty for some feed back, nothing i wouldnt do for my dogs, as i suspect you know all about

Last edited:
TL -------> H&R

I'm not sure where exactly this would fit, but I figured it's a serious enough question that it shouldn't be in the lounge.

H&R mods if you feel it really doesn't fit here and you have a better idea of where to send it, feel free.
ty for helping me out, my bad, i will research more on forums and guidelines, i did read rules for the lounge, but neglected to search all forums,and i def wont be posting about addicted pets , just at a loss and folks here really advise well, i appreciate all you do for BL

my tiny pup now has seizures after 800 dollars of dental work later, i read alot and got a hold of phenobarb and it helps but im running out and dont want her to withdrawl, ive got gabapentin, and xanax , all which vets can give dogs, they want near 2k for MRI, etc, i have to keep a roof over our heads so cant take her for scans, anyways, im worried for liver enzymes,correct dosage, freakin everything she my only friend , my joy, my damn kid, im the crazy dog lady for sure, but i wanted to know if anyone has/had a pet with seizures, and did anything help, heck i am trying cbd and tryptophan, boiled chicken with suggested veges, no shit dog kibble, just seems the pheno is best, but she seems to need more after about 4 month using it, i got xanax , i want to take it because of this damn dog is jolting in my arms, but gosh now we both are lil junkies...please advise negative or postive feedback or experience, im not a thin skinned snow flake, just broken hearted
Have a friend with problem like this.His dog(poodle may be) was with seizers.Gave him phenobarbital tablets,but after pheno disapeared from pharmacies,he succesuly transfer it to diazepam.Dont know about the doses he gave him

Have a friend with problem like this.His dog(poodle may be) was with seizers.Gave him phenobarbital tablets,but after pheno disapeared from pharmacies,he succesuly transfer it to diazepam.Dont know about the doses he gave him
yes the pheno is pretty helpful, just running out have to be cuttin back so doesnt she doesnt hve WD , but the seizures on lower does are freakin us both out, diazepm you say? i will begin to research that , just so difficult with vet charges in cali, 125 to have them say she needs a 1500 dollar MRI ,blood test over 100 and scripts costs you wont believe, i feel bad treating her at home with human drugs, but seems they are the same, just dosage is worrisome, all this pain after they put under for teeth cleaning , but guess thts always a risk, ty for the vent, doing my best to stay clean, but seeing her like this has me climbing out of my skin (starting SSRI is a bitch for me it seems as well) and knots in tummy, ty for advice youre excellent Nas

yes the pheno is pretty helpful, just running out have to be cuttin back so doesnt she doesnt hve WD , but the seizures on lower does are freakin us both out, diazepm you say? i will begin to research that , just so difficult with vet charges in cali, 125 to have them say she needs a 1500 dollar MRI ,blood test over 100 and scripts costs you wont believe, i feel bad treating her at home with human drugs, but seems they are the same, just dosage is worrisome, all this pain after they put under for teeth cleaning , but guess thts always a risk, ty for the vent, doing my best to stay clean, but seeing her like this has me climbing out of my skin (starting SSRI is a bitch for me it seems as well) and knots in tummy, ty for advice youre excellent Nas
Hope you find a right solution for your dog.I have a dog too.Always with dogs.As to ssri dont bother first two weeks on zoloft felt pretty ill.Now on 5 month with that.It helps with depression,,but must acumulates in the body and this takes time.Wish you luck and be calm

Hope you find a right solution for your dog.I have a dog too.Always with dogs.As to ssri dont bother first two weeks on zoloft felt pretty ill.Now on 5 month with that.It helps with depression,,but must acumulates in the body and this takes time.Wish you luck and be calm
wow ,missed this post nas, and i was sittin here thinking of this celexa, i tried zoloft before covid and i always give up before 3 weeks, so your words help, def gonna give it a shot, after last night ....nooooooooooo xanax today, think i need to give them to a non house hold family member to stash, so i wont obsess so badly, i never liked anything but pills, and thats only in the last 5 yrs, stoked youre a dog lover too, they are my life, heck they even hve better clothes than i do*eyes cross* ty for the luck, i have alot of well wishers, they would like to throw me down one*hug*

Hi Robi, I am so sorry you are going through this with your furbaby! Seizures are really scary. I've been a veterinary technician for 18 years so I am here to help uou in any way that I can.

It is very unlikely that the dental procedure actually caused the seizure disorder. It is much more likely that it is pure coincidence that the seizures started after the dental.

Have you only seen one vet about this problem?? It might be worth getting a second and even third opinion. An MRI is just a suggestion and you absolutely do not have to consent to have it done. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it, and that is fair enough and it should NOT be forced on you. The MRI may be able to tell you WHY the seizures are occurring but the outcome will be the same...you will have to treat it with meds.

Phenobarbitone is generally the best medication for treating seizure disorders long term. Gabapentin and benzodiazepines e.g. diazepam and alprazolam can also be used but just like us humans, animals can build a tolerance to them pretty quickly.

Yes the vet medications are precisely the same as human ones BUT you need to work out the doses. For this, you absolutely need to see a vet and get them to do this. Plus you will need to have ongoing recheck visits with a vet to check her symptoms and reassess the medications if necessary.

Please please please don't just treat this on your own without vet supervision. And please don't give her multiple medications without consulting a vet, as it could have dire consequences. You need to know what you're doing.

If you have any questions, please ask <3

wow ,missed this post nas, and i was sittin here thinking of this celexa, i tried zoloft before covid and i always give up before 3 weeks, so your words help, def gonna give it a shot, after last night ....nooooooooooo xanax today, think i need to give them to a non house hold family member to stash, so i wont obsess so badly, i never liked anything but pills, and thats only in the last 5 yrs, stoked youre a dog lover too, they are my life, heck they even hve better clothes than i do*eyes cross* ty for the luck, i have alot of well wishers, they would like to throw me down one*hug*

Hi Robi, I am so sorry you are going through this with your furbaby! Seizures are really scary. I've been a veterinary technician for 18 years so I am here to help uou in any way that I can.

It is very unlikely that the dental procedure actually caused the seizure disorder. It is much more likely that it is pure coincidence that the seizures started after the dental.

Have you only seen one vet about this problem?? It might be worth getting a second and even third opinion. An MRI is just a suggestion and you absolutely do not have to consent to have it done. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it, and that is fair enough and it should NOT be forced on you. The MRI may be able to tell you WHY the seizures are occurring but the outcome will be the same...you will have to treat it with meds.

Phenobarbitone is generally the best medication for treating seizure disorders long term. Gabapentin and benzodiazepines e.g. diazepam and alprazolam can also be used but just like us humans, animals can build a tolerance to them pretty quickly.

Yes the vet medications are precisely the same as human ones BUT you need to work out the doses. For this, you absolutely need to see a vet and get them to do this. Plus you will need to have ongoing recheck visits with a vet to check her symptoms and reassess the medications if necessary.

Please please please don't just treat this on your own without vet supervision. And please don't give her multiple medications without consulting a vet, as it could have dire consequences. You need to know what you're doing.

If you have any questions, please ask <3
ty for reply, yes i have her on pheno was going to give gaba after running out , but was a horrible idea after reading the combination, just desperate, lost my business and just hve a few workers doing in home work( dog grooming) keeping my mortgage going , ect is difficult right now, and seeing vets , well you now, more expense that i thought possible, more than me seeing a doctor, ty for words on her dental, i was so bitter, maybe i google too much , ppl saying their pups got seizures after being put under, but youre right, prolly genetic neuro issue, tumor, but i wont medicate her more , just gonna wean her off the pheno, i was desperate when i dosed her and it works so well, but i feel awful cause she needs liver tests ect i appreciate your input, because its so truthful and forthright, might beg on the corner for donations, prolly take a year to amass the money needed, oh i should not talk that way , just outta my mind with anxiety, starting ssris is horrid on me, best wishes to you and yours

dogs gorgeous, just put a old boxer down eleven days ago, partner wants a big dog, theres some pups just got born and the mom looks like yours, guess shes a pit lab but i dont see either breed much in her , but she has such a similar face as your fur kid, im nuts for dogs, i recently took in a tiny chihuahua with a cleft nose from a horrible horder, i gave her to the best home cause i didnt think it was fair to my other little dogs, one being as ill as she is and seeing me love and care for a pup, shes pretty needy and im giving her extra care cause i feel her pain and nerves, so the lil dog got adopted and a lil weary about getting a puppy for spouse for xmas, maybe just afraid to get attached and love , then they die(god im morbid these days over dogs) but yeah my sick dog is something i have never loved so much, and oddly more than any human, crazy but true a different love but fierce none the less, how old is you dog if i may and maybe breed? cause our possible new pup could end up looking like yours in ways

Last edited:
dogs gorgeous, just put a old boxer down eleven days ago, partner wants a big dog, theres some pups just got born and the mom looks like yours, guess shes a pit lab but i dont see either breed much in her , but she has such a similar face as your fur kid, im nuts for dogs, i recently took in a tiny chihuahua with a cleft nose from a horrible horder, i gave her to the best home cause i didnt think it was fair to my other little dogs, one being as ill as she is and seeing me love and care for a pup, shes pretty needy and im giving her extra care cause i feel her pain and nerves, so the lil dog got adopted and a lil weary about getting a puppy for spouse for xmas, maybe just afraid to get attached and love , then they die(god im morbid these days over dogs) but yeah my sick dog is something i have never loved so much, and oddly more than any human, crazy but true a different love but fierce none the less, how old is you dog if i may and maybe breed? cause our possible new pup could end up looking like yours in ways
Well he is getting older.Dont know exact the age.May be around 10 years old.My daughter brouhgt in a house years ago.Probably some kinda breed between hunting and combat dog.Hes looking nice,but is a killer.50kg or more.Looks nice in this pic.,but always on chain.Give him free run only in the wood.Crazy dog-always go to fight and wanna kill.Its castrated before couple of years,but still the same-always looking for trouble.Enter in combat with two-three dugs without any fear.Do not attack humans unless they entered in my house yard.Gives me a troubled often,but its so kind with all my family.Every other is just an enemy for him.Crazy dog:)

yeah i thought he looked a bit like a hunter/pittie, sure looks like a big lover, with that blue eye, my chihuahuas are fierce if anyone get near me or my car, but you could punt them like footballs,never thot id love little dogs so much, are your dogs hips good? really want a mix or a breed thats not so prone to dysplasia, bet N3o knows..ty for sharing, know this isnt the place for dog talk, but sure helped me with my mental issues, hope all is well with you and your terrorizer

Yep, I know all about hip dysplasia in dogs. There certainly are specific breeds that are more prone to it.
ty for reply, yes i have her on pheno was going to give gaba after running out , but was a horrible idea after reading the combination, just desperate, lost my business and just hve a few workers doing in home work( dog grooming) keeping my mortgage going , ect is difficult right now, and seeing vets , well you now, more expense that i thought possible, more than me seeing a doctor, ty for words on her dental, i was so bitter, maybe i google too much , ppl saying their pups got seizures after being put under, but youre right, prolly genetic neuro issue, tumor, but i wont medicate her more , just gonna wean her off the pheno, i was desperate when i dosed her and it works so well, but i feel awful cause she needs liver tests ect i appreciate your input, because its so truthful and forthright, might beg on the corner for donations, prolly take a year to amass the money needed, oh i should not talk that way , just outta my mind with anxiety, starting ssris is horrid on me, best wishes to you and yours
Fuck man I really wish you lived in Sydney Australia so you could come to my vet clinic!! Our prices are so incredibly reasonable and we don't force any unnecessary tests on our clients.
Like I said earlier, maybe get a second opinion at a different vet. All you need is a reasonable vet to prescribe your dog some phenobarb, and to have regular rechecks to see how she's going. That's all. You don't NEED all these tests they're suggesting like MRI and blood tests. In a perfect world if you could afford it, at the very least you should get the blood tests done, but if you can't afford it then the vet needs to understand that. Money doesn't grow on trees, especially these days.

yeah i thought he looked a bit like a hunter/pittie, sure looks like a big lover, with that blue eye, my chihuahuas are fierce if anyone get near me or my car, but you could punt them like footballs,never thot id love little dogs so much, are your dogs hips good? really want a mix or a breed thats not so prone to dysplasia, bet N3o knows..ty for sharing, know this isnt the place for dog talk, but sure helped me with my mental issues, hope all is well with you and your terrorizer
He is start to feel pain sometimes in his hips thats obvious.Especially when is raining.Rarely give him some paracetamol to ease a pain a little bit.In winter time he lives in the house beside the fire.When he was younger lives outside in wintertime at very low temp.around -10c.

Amen on that! hate putting down cali, but we are the most expensive nearly, with everything . she does so well on pheno, i just dosed her with the near last of cbd, quality stuff, think imma talk to the vendor for help , i think its kicking in, i got it for us both but decided to give it to her in hopes for relief for the lil girl, really want to try , kava, cbd,but there yah go again , money money, always enjoy your words~~~> calls ticket agent for flight to Oz(LMBO) god bless my mess, i work with animals too and stoked you do to!!!<squishes yah> ty ty

Amen on that! hate putting down cali, but we are the most expensive nearly, with everything . she does so well on pheno, i just dosed her with the near last of cbd, quality stuff, think imma talk to the vendor for help , i think its kicking in, i got it for us both but decided to give it to her in hopes for relief for the lil girl, really want to try , kava, cbd,but there yah go again , money money, always enjoy your words~~~> calls ticket agent for flight to Oz(LMBO) god bless my mess, i work with animals too and stoked you do to!!!<squishes yah> ty ty
Oh yes I meant to say, there is definitely some good research to say that CBD is very useful for seizure disorders. We don't use it in Aus yet because the legality of weed products is still a grey area here (I know.....ridiculous).