• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Does this sound like a san pedro trip?

No it wasnt gooey at all. I just mixed it up with a spoon after I took it out of the freezer and it was just like water basically.

The taste didnt bother me at all, which is why I will prefer to use this method. Nor did I get sick at all from it. It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. If it is the taste you are worried about...try this...

Get grapefruit juice...take a small swig into your mouth & let it sit there for a few seconds, while holding it in your mouth take a big gulp of the Magic Juice and drink it down very quick...immediately after you swallow take another big gulp of grapefruit juice.

Both the lemon juice & the grapefruit juice together seem to cover it up quite a bit...at least for me it did.

It sounds like you just broke treshold.

Apart from what others are saying, I find great success with lightly cooking finely chopped san pedro in an equal amount of water over about a four hour time frame, and then squeezing out the juices. One 12 inch cutting makes me trip very well for 16+ hours.

The point of boiling your cactus is to ultimately separate out a bunch of cactus material so you won't have to consume all of it. Not all of the cactus is psychoactive, and a lot of it will cause nausea that I'm sure we all want to avoid.

So, if by boiling you feel like you can create a more manageable-to-consume end product, then by all means go for it. I believe that is one of the reasons that method has been in use or so long. I can't speak for the other psychoactive alkaloids, but mescaline at least should not be in danger of degrading or being destroyed at boiling point. In fact, in acid/base extraction of mescaline, many include a step that involves actually cooking mescaline in the oven at up to 300F to remove any leftover HCl in that stage of the extraction.

Really, I wouldn't rule out boiling as a prep method. I mean, do what's right by you, but I'm sure many would prefer a different method than eating the cactus in a mostly raw state.

Edits:
Oh and I forgot to answer the OP, hah.
Sounds like a classic case of being too focused on whether you're tripping or not. It's all about letting it happen, as many have advocated before me, and not trying to think about it too much. Easier said than done, I know, but I feel it's a thing that comes with experience.

Last edited:
Yeah, i've heard from many sources that boiling doesn't destroy the mescaline and you can boil it to your heart's content - including people with detailed chemistry knowledge who extract the stuff. So I believe that.

I didn't boil it the first trip, and that was even weaker (just more nausea and more difficult to consume)

I'm going to put the cactus on hold for a while - LSD here I come :)

It's not going to "destroy" it...but that doesnt mean the mescaline or other alkaloids will not be affected. Also, you might just have a weak cactus. Funny how you assume that someone with "chemistry knowledge" must know what they are talking about. GOD FORBID OUR DEAR "SCIENCE" WAS EVER WRONG!!!

There are some things science will never be able to answer. Ever.

My common sense theory on any psychoactive plant...if the taste bothers you or you get sick or have a bad trip...the spirit of the plant probably doesnt like you & would prefer not to communicate with you. Dont take it personally...its no different than how some humans dont like other humans.

If you dont respect the plant or dont have pure intentions when consuming it...dont expect anything good to happen.

Also, here is something to take into consideration...

They say the cactus produces the mescaline as a self defense mechanism against insects/pests/animals/humans. Now if this is true, obviously it is going to work simply just by eating the flesh that contains it. The cactus does not produce the mescaline in hopes that some idiot human beings will extract it or cook it up with a bunch of fancy man-made equipment in their fancy kitchens/laboratories. The cactus does not produce the mescaline hoping that bugs & animals are smart enough to boil it into oblivion using their animal made pots & pans.

It produces the mescaline knowing damn well that any living thing that dare eat it will be in for quite a surprise. 8o

In order to understand these types of plants one must not look at them through the eyes of white Western culture. But instead look at them through the eyes of nature.

The eyes of nature are blind, well, nature doesn't have eyes. The plant doesn't know anything about mescaline, it's only a presumption that it's a deterrent, and it doesn't care why or how it deters, only that it does.

In some way I respect your attitude towards the plant, but on the other hand I think it's also hopeful nonsense.

I think we should pay homage to the time it took to grow, to spend time to awe nature, and evolution, but to say the plant has a spirit is something that just can't be backed up. I've still had amazing trips where I have deepened my understanding of nature like I never knew I could, but I boiled it.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, and I'm not trying to criticise or start some kind of bad vibes, but I just don't see anything to back up what you're saying.

Haven't really broken through, and not sure if I really want to

I understand the perspective, it's tempting, I've certainly felt it's pull; and I can even see it's advantages

But for me, science has shown me life in a light that I never thought could be so beautiful

I appreciate for example north american indian religion (from my simple understanding of it), but they wish they could understand life like we do now, science hasn't taken away it's mystique, it's shown that it's far deeper than we ever imagined!

You can boil it all you want. My last extraction I simmered it for about eight hours. The point is to reduce the brew so you don't have to consume so much. Half a cup blew my socks off.

What people should understand is that mescaline content of San Pedro is highly variable. I did my research and calibrated the wet weight of the cactus into dosage. My half a cup was supposed to be a threshold test dose, but resulted in a full-blown 12 hour trip. Turns out my cactus is a very potent one.

(It wasn't in any sense a "bad-trip", but I had a conversation with an entity in the cactus that told me in no uncertain terms not to do it again. And I never have; the cactus is thriving tho.)

IME with san pedro the only way you're going to 'trip balls' in the visual sense is if you drink enough to make yourself puke. The only times I've had intense visuals on san pedro is when I've let the cutting sit around for a few weeks before making the tea. By intense I mean on par with a medium-high dose acid trip.

Mescaline is wonderful. IME it has all the lovely dovey cuddling warmth of MDMA with visuals and you can fuck like you're on acid. It's tricky to get the dose right and to be able to hold down the tea though. Which sucks, but it does make me glad....if it were more user friendly it wouldn't be legal.

Kind of off topic but to this day but as far as the whole plant spirit debate.

I attribute me not getting my dmt confiscated and me not going to jail to the dmt spirits. The police searched my house, they took EVERYTHING remotely drug related except my 2 jars of dmt (which had like 6-7 grams of dmt in it). The cop brought one jar of deemz to me and says "whats this?" I was so bummed and frustrated I said the smartest thing I ever said "I don't know." So the drug task force detective left my DMT. I think the dmt spirits were super stoked I turned so many people on to DMT for the first time.=D either that or that was one stupid cop... I mean these cops were taking (not including my real drugs) supplements, diet pills and vitamins but they left the hand blown glass jars filled with dmt. Somehow they also overlooked 2-3 gel caps each containing a tenth of deemz. now that's a current miracle of a biblical scale...the same drug task force had busted a dmt 'lab' 40 minutes away just several weeks earlier. shit man I should start my own dmt church.

Also, here is something to take into consideration...

They say the cactus produces the mescaline as a self defense mechanism against insects/pests/animals/humans. Now if this is true, obviously it is going to work simply just by eating the flesh that contains it. The cactus does not produce the mescaline in hopes that some idiot human beings will extract it or cook it up with a bunch of fancy man-made equipment in their fancy kitchens/laboratories. The cactus does not produce the mescaline hoping that bugs & animals are smart enough to boil it into oblivion using their animal made pots & pans.

It produces the mescaline knowing damn well that any living thing that dare eat it will be in for quite a surprise. 8o

In order to understand these types of plants one must not look at them through the eyes of white Western culture. But instead look at them through the eyes of nature.

There are many possible explanations for the cactus's evolutionary motivation to create the chemical that is mescaline, one of them including the possibility that the reaction it may create in animals that deign to consume it will be undesirable. Following this line of logic, it would appear it is in the cactus's interest to avoid being eaten all together, regardless of the modes of preparation one might apply to said consumption.

In referring to the damaging/destroying of the mescaline molecule, I believe (though I am admittedly not extensively invested in the discipline of chemistry) that one will not occur by way of heat without the other. That is to say, I don't believe that mescaline would be somehow 'degraded' but not destroyed. To risk being redundant, I repeat that it has been proven that mescaline can be exposed to temperatures in considerable excess of the boiling points 212F or 100C. Furthermore, it has and continues to be exposed to higher temperatures in an A/B extraction process that many employ quite successfully. I doubt that this would be done by a slew of chemistry savvy individuals if there was any degradation possible.

As myself and a few others have previously discussed somewhat recently, I agree with you completely on the limitations of science and the importance of having an eclectic mindset that includes other disciplines of thought. I do not agree that eating a cactus versus boiling it down to a more manageable brew or even extracting the mescaline right out signifies disrespect for the plant or its potential latent spirit.

As I understand it, the boiling/brewing method has likely been used for many hundreds of years by cultures western but decidedly not white. I'm sure they were quite spiritualistic as well, so I wouldn't say the boiling and the spiritualism should be mutually exclusive.

One thing that confuses me about the various san pedro recipes is that they tell you to add water before boiling it.

Isn't the point of boiling to get rid of the water in the cactus so you don't have to eat as much bitter gunk? Lemon juice sure, but water seems pretty pointless..

Yeah, and to help with processing it.

Because you boil it to "extract" the mescaline out of the plant cells and into the water, which you strain then boil down. The greater the volume of water the more mescaline will come out of the cells.

the concentration of mescaline in the water vs the concentration of mescaline in the cells will reach an equilibrium at some stage, and the more water there is the closer that equilibrium point will be towards mescaline being in the water. which is why I often do a second wash.

It's not going to "destroy" it...but that doesnt mean the mescaline or other alkaloids will not be affected. Also, you might just have a weak cactus. Funny how you assume that someone with "chemistry knowledge" must know what they are talking about. GOD FORBID OUR DEAR "SCIENCE" WAS EVER WRONG!!!

There are some things science will never be able to answer. Ever.

My common sense theory on any psychoactive plant...if the taste bothers you or you get sick or have a bad trip...the spirit of the plant probably doesnt like you & would prefer not to communicate with you. Dont take it personally...its no different than how some humans dont like other humans.

If you dont respect the plant or dont have pure intentions when consuming it...dont expect anything good to happen.

I'd trust chemistry and science long before that theory, which no offense is the furthest thing from common sense I've read in a while.

And what makes you think I didn't "respect the plant" or have pure intentions when going about my trip? You're posting quite a lot of rubbishy stuff. From all the love for it on this site, the idea of mescaline experience in my mind is a beautiful and meaningful one I'd love to become aquainted with closely.

I ingested the cactus junk over two hours ago and I'm not noticing any effects..

Guess there's no chance at this point right?

If there was a decent mescaline dose in it it would have started doing something by now. You might still feel something in the next hour or so but you likely wont have any real trip.

Bummer :/

It also didn't make me sick for very long. Maybe 45 minutes of a slight stomach ache and then it was fine.

Ya, I'm starting to think the only way to have a somewhat accurate dose is to do a full acid/base and weigh the crystal. Cacti specimens vary SO greatly in strength that dosing based on length or weight of dried flesh is utterly pointless. I've had 18 inches give me threshold and 8 inches of my stressed to fuck homegrown in a Canadian climate for 3 years cactus had me tripping quite well.