• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Does this disprove Atheism?

Just for the record. I probably believe in god more than I don't. I certainly wouldn't call myself an atheist. Your original post is still stupid though. And I still think the arguments proposes here reflect no potential for interesting discussion.

I mean I can disprove god just as easily as god was just proven.

Odds that god exists %0 (you really don't need the redundant extra numbers a regular integer is fine)

Last edited:
Just for the record. I probably believe in god more than I don't. I certainly wouldn't call myself an atheist. Your original post is still stupid though.

Yeah but somehow it was unrebutted
High and mighty one.

I have atheist views because I see no evidence that god or spirits exist. The world is exactly what a godless world would appear to be. Or if this world was created, I dont see any reason to worship this creator. Non serviam :)

Religions are corrupt because humans are corrupt.

One of the OP's points which I can't refute is that an atheist society has never existed, in any way, shape or form.

I never thought about that before.

Is human spirituality (not theism) hard wired?

Yeah but somehow it was unrebutted
High and mighty one.

Nobody has given a detailed rebuttal to timecube either and it's not for any reasons flattering to timecube.

I'm not taking it seriously because it's a waste of time. Anyone who might be an open minded fence sitter won't be swayed by your argument so id be doing nothing productive for me or anyone else arguing your post. And I certainly don't see myself convincing you based on how you base your beliefs.

Last edited:
One of the OP's points which I can't refute is that an atheist society has never existed, in any way, shape or form.

I never thought about that before.

Spirituality doesn't inherently include theism. You said this yourself from what I can tell. But would you agree that likewise atheism doesn't preclude spirituality.

Because if so, while there has never been a society totally lacking in spiritualism. There are societies that either are made up predominantly of atheists and there are societies that lack a theistic governing system.
and I'm including noncommunist societies.

Communist societies aren't so much athiest as much as they are completely against any form of loyalties that compete with their own. They tend to suppress all belief systems, religious or not, spiritual or not, that might undermine their control.

An example perhaps of an atheist society, or close too, might be Australia. The majority identify as no religion or athiest and there is no government endorsed religion.

Last edited:

At least in recorded history. We don't know what sort of gods or lack thereof prehistoric peoples had. But, evidence suggests that humans have often exhobited mystical tendencies.

I think it is. Our consciousness is very unique; we use consciousness to examine consciousness. Its a sort of paradoxical recursion- why am I here? Our self-awareness and the fundamental mystery of our existence, and our capacity to appreciate beauty and feel awe, seems to manifest as spirituality. We understand fundamentally that we differ from all other lifeforms on earth; there is something in us that is not found elsewhere. People call it the soul or the spirit, I think it is our awareness of self and our awareness of this awareness! We are physical beings that have an entire complex universe constantly being constructed, manipulated, simulated within our skulls. I think it is inherent.

I recall a tale by a primatologist who followed a troupe of mountain gorillas. There was a particular hidden waterfall they would assemble at, a dark and beautiful place of light refracting from water, low frequency sound, contrasts and complexity, and she observed the gorillas acting very unusually when they encountered it. She interpreted their behaviour- quiet murmuring, repetitive rocking (ritual?), solemn and guarded social behaviour- as evidence of awe. She thought this was basic spiritual awe, awareness of something greater, mysterious, ineffable.

^^^ yeah atheists think it's highly likely religion only existed for humanity to Cope when they themselves are coping.

^^^ yeah atheists think it's highly likely religion only existed for humanity to Cope when they themselves are coping.

That sounds like you are agreeing with what I said, but I didn't really say that. I think the creation of god has something to do with the unanswerable question- how did we get here?. For 99% of human history, we have had no way of answering that question. And yet, because we are aware we know that there IS an answer to the question. Someone, somehwere MUST know what this answer is- right? Thus, god. Today, we still cannot answer it, but we have tools and disciplines to enable us to theorise with some substance.

xbandit07x, are you aware of the stand still middle age caused by the church?

Modern religious countries are shitty. Look at Saudi Arabia and Sudan.

The United States, even.

You have disproved nothing. Atheism, historically, was not popular because we had very little real scientific description.

In my opinion, that's the reason an Atheistic society didn't form. Nobody wanted it to. They lived in shit and prayed something better was ahead of them.

???

What is an "atheist society" anyway?

Secular societies - countries with a solid seperation of Church and state, are among the most "successful" (however one would measure or define such a thing) - and stable countries around today.

As for "disproving atheism"...you've lost me there. Disproving non-religious belief sounds like a bizarre double-negative to me.

A most peculiar thread.

Atheist doesn't mean non-spiritual. All it means is absence of a belief in God.

Yes, I think atheists can be spiritual people. I've met many. The word "spiritual" is triggering so they tend to refute it, but... they conceive of the universe in terms larger than themselves all the time, just in non-religious ways.

Spirituality doesn't inherently include theism. You said this yourself from what I can tell. But would you agree that likewise atheism doesn't preclude spirituality.

Atheist doesn't mean non-spiritual. All it means is absence of a belief in God.

Yes, I think atheists can be spiritual people. I've met many. The word "spiritual" is triggering so they tend to refute it, but... they conceive of the universe in terms larger than themselves all the time, just in non-religious ways.

You're refuting that there can be hierarchies of spirits as if there all there to just fly around you equally and there's spiritual pulls just for man to play with.

You're refuting that there can be hierarchies of spirits as if there all there to just fly around you equally and there's spiritual pulls just for man to play with.

?

I can't make head nor tails of this.

Anything spiritual has a God because it has a leader. Any other worlds and entities have levels of desirable/undesirable to them.

So you have to think nothing spiritual exists as an atheist or your a buffoon if you don't think any spiritual places has god light/darkness.

Anything spiritual has a God because it has a leader.
not necessarily. spirituality and believing in god are two totally different things and they're not mutually exclusive. a lot of your statements in this discussion read like logical premises but they are either flat-out false or unprovable. from here, many of your conclusions are simply logically invalid.

So you have to think nothing spiritual exists as an atheist or your a buffoon if you don't think any spiritual places has god light/darkness.
why do you insult people like this? can't you keep your discussion civil?

alasdair

First of all, it is true that early societies which featured a strong religious belief and community were more successful than others, because it induced a stronger feeling for community and solidarity, which of course helped said societies to thrive. but there is no logical argument to be made that because of this, the existence of "god" is proven. (prove me wrong, but I doubt you can ;) ).

and I also consider myself an atheist and a spiritual person at the same time. I kind of refuse to buy into this seperation between spirit and matter, so I can see beauty and significance in the material world without the need to have something beyond it. I believe that my consciousness is a consequence of my physical "components" and I really feel more free since I came to stop wondering about "god"