• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Does Immodium damage dopamine neurons ?

Dr. Beat

Bluelighter
http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/cgi/reprint/32/9/943

I just read this article, which made me very unhappy, because i have been using 2mg of Immodium every day for months which really helps with my IBS-D which has been tormenting me for the last 10 years, and Immodium really helps.

Should i stop using it?

Or is 2mg of Immodium not enough to cause problems later on?

Well they say in that article that loperamide and presumably its metabolite can't cross the blood-brain barrier.

5-HT2 reincarnated said:
Well they say in that article that loperamide and presumably its metabolite can't cross the blood-brain barrier.

i thought the article was saying that the metabolite can pass the BBB

^

even the folder you get with it here says it

side effects , drowsiness

also its only for 14 years and older

also it constricts your pupils with massive doses id wonder how it would do that without crossing the bbb

^ The eyes are outside the BBB... could be a direct effect on the iris.

Still, the article doesn't say one way or another about the BBB/P-glycoprotein functionality of the metabolite; as I've said, loperamide does permiate the BBB, it's just a P-glycoprotein substatrate.

Still, I think the LPP+ is made in the periphery, but can't pass into the brain because it is charged.

Just a curiousity; could you use loperamide to constrict your pupils after they've been dilated by a psychedelic? Normally I have pinprick pupils, but psychedelics all seem to dilate them massively and everyone I know is able to tell right off the bat that I'm high, and I'd rather it be less obvious (sunglasses are still blatent, heh). I'd often thought about trying loperamide to help this, but never got around to it...

BilZ0r said:
^ The eyes are outside the BBB... could be a direct effect on the iris.

Still, the article doesn't say one way or another about the BBB/P-glycoprotein functionality of the metabolite; as I've said, loperamide does permiate the BBB, it's just a P-glycoprotein substatrate.

Still, I think the LPP+ is made in the periphery, but can't pass into the brain because it is charged.

ow well it was my own input

the drowsiness can only be from crossing the bbb right?

And i think thats the reason kids shouldnt take it

p.s nuke like 20 mg should do the trick , dont think its very healthy though , its a pain the ass (literally)

BingeBoy said:
^

even the folder you get with it here says it

side effects , drowsiness

also its only for 14 years and older

also it constricts your pupils with massive doses id wonder how it would do that without crossing the bbb

in my experience, after taking Immodium most days for the last few months, it defiently does NOT give me any brain/emotional impact of the other opiates, but i do get a lot of BODY opiate symptoms:

like when i started first using it, i would get a body heat rush a few hours after taking it (after food), and it would make my body muscles a bit mellow and soft, but I now have a tollerance to that.

and if i took it for 1 week, then stopped i would get lots of adrenaline and hot flushes and get sweaty for a day.

and if i took 4mg (or more) it would lower my sex drive, and make it harder to get erections (like normal opaites). So i would keep taking breaks every few days (when i was seeing my girlfriend)

^
uhm thats what its supposed to do (effect your body)

i can only imagine very light or young opiate naive people to be effected by it , but if its listed as a side-effect it must happen to some people

BingeBoy said:
^
uhm thats what its supposed to do (effect your body)

i can only imagine very light or young opiate naive people to be effected by it , but if its listed as a side-effect it must happen to some people

it may come as a surprise to you, but some people are VERY sensative to drugs (like me), and some need huge doses to feel anything (like my ex-girl friend).

i have been a weekend opiate user for nearly 10 years - codiene, opium, herion (chasing the dragon), and methadone, and 120mg of codeine still gets me high (much to my delight!) and yet i have given 90mg of codeine to house mates who have never had opiates before and they claimed they felt ' nothing at all'.

^
most people dont feel opiates the first time , only the puking and sedation

and 90 mg is hardly give any of those 2

ironically my first ever opiate taking was 70-90 mg of codeine , i got happy but didnt feel any high (was usually happy that period) so i didnt feel anything either and im a lightweight when it comes to drugs (well not opiates anymore but thats just how it goes)

BingeBoy said:
^
most people dont feel opiates the first time , only the puking and sedation

and 90 mg is hardly give any of those 2

ironically my first ever opiate taking was 70-90 mg of codeine , i got happy but didnt feel any high (was usually happy that period) so i didnt feel anything either and im a lightweight when it comes to drugs (well not opiates anymore but thats just how it goes)

my current girlfriend (who was a drug virgin until she met me) gets high/nausea/stoned from 30mg of codiene and i am not joking. one time she took 60mg of codiene (2 panadine fortes) and was sick/high for many hours.

another mate of mine gets very euphoric from 90mg of codiene, but he is bi-polor so that may explain that. (he gets super high from alcohol, and paranoid from smoking dope)

just because there are lots of DRUG PIGS on bluelight, does not mean that 'normal' people do not feel small doses of drugs.

Well I have a reasonable tolerance, need about 60-80mg for a good nod from oxycodone, but 90mg of codeine will give me a buzz. Explanation?

^
weird

i mean with constricts my pupils and i wont have the urge to poo , and i really used to like it , my opiate love story started of with codeine

maybe its because with oxycodone you get a kinda stimulant effect and need a really high dose to nod and codeine is morphine and a lot noddier in effect (but a heckload more potent , never tried oxyodone i always compare it to heroin )

i moved from codeine to oxys and felt the codeine high was much more enjoyable. when i started 120mg would make me high and content for a hour or so, i really think some people can feel the codeine a lot differently. i've fed 150mg doses to people and they dont feel shit while im in the corner nodding off the same dose. there must be a missing enzyme in some people to explain this, i believe i read something about codeine and missing enzymes in the liver in most people, could just be trippin though.

If I'm not mistaken, codeine undergoes the same O-Demethylation that oxycodone does, by CYP.

This is a bit off topic, but Immodium helps with irritable bowel?

Right now I'm on prilosec, but I just came up negative for ulcers, and until they run more tests (I'm guessing deteriorated stomach lining), they just labelled it as irritable bowel/spastic colon, which I know runs in my family...

Jaw Clenching said:
You mean loperamide helps IBS right (not a response to the original question)?

There are two very different IBS's:

IBS-C (constipation) (low seratonin levels around guts)
IBS-D (Diarrhea) (very high levels of seratonin around guts)

and Immodium is very good for IBS-D. But like all opiates the effect becomes less over time, so i have breaks to keep my Immodium 'tolerance' down.