• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does coffee affect absorption of benzos?

cdigital

Bluelighter
I have horrible morning anxiety so I take either clonazepam or alprazolam with my morning coffee.

I don't know much about pH but do understand coffee is extremely acidic. I sublingual whatever pills and wash it down with coffee. I don't swallow whole.

Would I get better results taking them with a less acidic liquid like water, soy or almond milk, or coconut water?

Thanks guys.

I am not sure the answer to your question of coffee affecting absorption, but the best thing to take the Alprazolam with would be WHITE grapefuit juice as it will potentiate Alprazolam. I personally don't notice a huge difference when I drink it with the Xanax but it does feel like it maybe extends it a bit. I am not sure if it's the same with Clonazepam but I am sure someone will know ;)

I am not sure the answer to your question of coffee affecting absorption, but the best thing to take the Alprazolam with would be WHITE grapefuit juice as it will potentiate Alprazolam. I personally don't notice a huge difference when I drink it with the Xanax but it does feel like it maybe extends it a bit. I am not sure if it's the same with Clonazepam but I am sure someone will know ;)

I wish i could pure all white GFP. all i see in my local markets are pink and that ruby red stuff! pointers on where to find the good juice?

No it will not work with clonazepam.

What won't work with Klonopin?

Coffee???

Sorry, no offense but you are wrong there.

As someone who has taken Klonopin for 12 years and drank PROFUSE amounts of coffee I know this for a fact.

But the two DO effect eachother, not with absorption but since I have anxiety and too much coffee can cause anxiety and Klonopin CAN make you tired the two kind of work at cross purposes but you CAN find the right dosage to feel good which is basically what I do EVERY SINGLE DAY haha.

A little coffee and a little Klonopin is best.

Too much coffee you will get anxious and need more Klonopin which isn't good and too much Klonopin you will get tired and want more coffee and thus the cycle begins.

I have been dealing with this cycle for years and it's just one of the reasons why cutting down on coffee is so hard for me but truth be told I COULD do it if I wasn't so addicted to coffee, well really that's PARTIALLY an excuse because I COULD try harder and eventually cut down on it if I just did it REALLY slowly and was consistent and eventually when you drink less coffee you will probably need less Klonopin and vice versa if you are like me.

But no, I have never heard of coffee effecting the absoprtion of Klonopin.

If it's true AT ALL I can tell you it's not true in practice otherwise I wouldn't still get the effects of both daily.

I am pretty sure Mad Dash was referring to my post above about using grapefruit to potentiate Xanax ;) But ya, you are correct concerning the coffee and anxiety. I drink a lot of caffeine generally but I def notice a difference in my anxiety when I cut it down even just for a few days. Problem is I get migraines if I don't consume any caffeine so I just try to keep it as low as I can. I also don't take benzos daily anymore, only as needed, so I am not using caffeine for energy per se.

Yeah, I also can't quit caffeine and cutting down is hard as hell for me.

Sorry Mad Dash if you were talking about WGF.

Yeah, personally I havent' found WGF to potentiate ANYTHING and tend to feel like it's just bullshit that it works AT ALL.

I mean I guess the only thing I've tried to potentiate with it was Kratom and I kept IMAGINING it was working till I decided I was fooling myself and it was placebo.

Sure, I can't be POSITIVE it wasn't doing a LITTLE something but really it couldn't have been doing much and I figured I was just wasting money as I don't even really like GF or GFJ/WGFJ.

Does WGF really STRONGLY potentiate ANYTHING for sure??

Last edited:
Does WGF really STRONGLY potentiate ANYTHING for sure??

The need to urinate............for sure, and the more you drink the urge to "take a leak" gets stronger.

I think that is the only "sure" answer with regards to the WGF juice "phenomenon".

It obviously does potentiate certain drugs in a tiny percentage of patients, leading to it being mentioned under the "special precautions" section on package inserts as a "disclaimer" to protect the Pharmaceutical Company for legal reasons.

Try it, it will either work for you or not, hence the only sure answer would be my opening sentence in this reply.

SL

The need to urinate............for sure, and the more you drink the urge to "take a leak" gets stronger.

I think that is the only "sure" answer with regards to the WGF juice "phenomenon".

It obviously does potentiate certain drugs in a tiny percentage of patients, leading to it being mentioned under the "special precautions" section on package inserts as a "disclaimer" to protect the Pharmaceutical Company for legal reasons.

Try it, it will either work for you or not, hence the only sure answer would be my opening sentence in this reply.

SL

From my COMPLETELY uneducated guess it and grapefruit in general probably more effect the absorption and effectiveness of certain antibiotics like anti-fungals.

I've had some not-so fun fungal infections like impetigo and had to take anti-fungal anitbiotics like Erythromycin and Azithroymicin and that was when I first heard of the "GF phenomenon" cause it says to avoid grapefruit on the bottles.

I bet that could be the case, that if you are on anti-biotics and drinking 5 glasses of grapefruit a day or eating a huge slice of GF with every meal it could fuck with the anti-biotics and make them not work so well.

But as far as increasing MENTAL effect of MIND ALTERING substances??

Who knows.