Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Does anything actually exist?

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
There is a spoon in my hand.

But... How do I really know for sure? I can see it in my hand. I can feel the weight of it in my hand.... But how do I really know, with the truest of perfect certainty, that there is actually a spoon in my hand?

How can you prove it to me? How can you prove to me that anything in this world actually exists? What if this is all a simulation?

We can never know. Therefore science is false!

Male-Generous-Intermediateegret-max-1mb.gif

You can prove it by acknowledging the nature of polarity/duality. Which would suggest that the spoon in your hand both exists and doesn’t exist at the same time. That would integrate the opposing propositions and would therefore be more in alignment with objective reality.

Possibly I'm really lame, but i believe in things, things which add up to reality. I wish i could eat a bunch of acid and claim nothing was real but my mind doesn't work that way... other times i try and live like I'm in an I.V k hole where nothing exists.

Something has to exist, otherwise we wouldn't even be able to ask questions.

The spoon in your hand may not actually be a spoon, it could be an alien disguising itelf as a spoon, or some kind of computer code. Whatever it may be, you interact with the spoon and it interacts with you, neither of you would be the same without each other.

But where do spoons come from anyway? Someone had to make the first one, but where and how did he/she get the idea?
Were spoons somehow destined to pop into existence as soon as we (humans) showed up?

I've said the word spoon so many times that it's starting to sound weird in my head.

It's sort a navel gazing question that doesn't really matter, to be honest.
Absolutely, I was being a bit silly. The answer escapes logic and words.

It is an interesting idea, though.

How could you ever truly prove anything? Science is just a best guess.

What is pain? Is pain real? What is pain but a hallucination???

We can experience pain in a dream 🤔
Pain doesn't really tell us anything and I think it's a subjective experience, at least to a degree. I think the idea of a spoon existing or of the person holding it even existing is different from asking if anything exists. Since I'm not a philosopher I should probably be quiet now. I'd just add that if you look in a mirror and don't see a reflection then maybe you don't exist