Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Doctors taking recreational drugs ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
up all night said:
If you can't see that some of what you are writing is coming across as aggressive and arrogant then god help us! Besides kb and fatz, I think everyone else has been pretty level-headed.

How agressive Yarni ? How arrogant ?

Be Specific. Because that is the last thing I am trying to be.

Now, to counter your argument. To avoid incriminating myself, i will say now that i speak on behalf of the dozens of medical staff that i know who indulge in such "disgusting" practises....

Why I think that the concept of Doctors taking recreational drugs is absolutely absurd, disgusting and disturbing is mainly based in my own experience of being scattered. Forgetting things, even weeks after not taking drugs, is something that I have heard everyone complain about.

^speak for yourself. I know very few people who feel the lingering effects of drugs, but in particular MDMA pills, for more than a few days after dosing. Very few people in the workforce as a whole, let alone doctors, would go to work "scattered" By scattered, i assume you mean the 2-3 days after dosing when you are "coming down", sometimes losing you train of thought. This affects some people more than others.
Many people, after a single or even two pills, are able to go home, go to sleep, with none or minimal detrimental after effects even the next day.
Most people i am close to, would not dream of returning to work for several days after dosing, just in case they weren't going to be at their best. I think you will find that the vast majority on this board will agree that after the "3 day blues", you are performing at or very near to your normal levels in both a physical and mental capacity.

Compare this to the multitude of medical staff who will routinely go out on an alcohol-fueled bender on a saturday night, get home at 3-4am, sleep until 7am, get up and shower and come to work for the full day on sunday (yes, it happens a LOT). I for one, simply refuse to do this. If i am working the next day, i am ALWAYS home by midnight; i will drink only two drinks. Working with the horrible feeling of a hangover is one thing, but it is the sleep deprivation that is proven to cause accidents and errors of judgement, and that is what we try to avoid.

And on the topic of sleep deprivation - while obviously such circumstances do not have you performing at your optimum, consider this : my roster, for instance, involves 7 continuous days, working 13 hours a day. that's 91 hours a week. That's more than most of you would work in a fortnight. And myself and hunderds in my situation still manage to function on a highly professional level the whole time.

Now i know whom i would prefer to be treating me. I'll take the guy who had a pill on friday night when it's now wednesday, rather than the guy at the end of a week of hellish shifts.

Beside that, you cant ignore the FACT that ecstasy is neurotoxic, as is most other amphetamine stimulants. Consequently in taking substances that kill neurons in the part of your brain that are required for memory and I am sure other vital functions, (research is yet to be conclusive) I cant see how a Doctor, someone that is responsible for sometimes the life and death of other human beings based on their meticulous judgement can justify to me their drug use resulting in the deterioration of these essential brain functions.
KB and Potato are already onto this one. Show us documented evidence and not heresay and we'll all have surprised look on our faces, i can assure you. The word of a uni lecturer does not a fact make, as much as we would like it to be true. It is opinion only.

(And rats don't count. We can cure some cancers in rats.)

WAVES. HI I STARTED THIS THREAD. I TAKE DRUGS. I HAVE STUDIED DRUGS EFFECT ON CULTURES. If anything sweetheart I am biased leaning towards drugs. If I could I make them legal. What a weird comment.

Good on you though for trying !

I never said I know more.. I said I know just about as much as doctors do, about how illegal drugs effect the brain. I would love to sit here all day and repeat myself, but I have a life.

Sometimes I wish I could go back to being like you KB. Full of hot steam with no where to go

You know, just for example.

If this thread continues to just go round and round and round, I'm going to close it with a view to breakyaself telling the mirror all about how much she knows and even why she started a thread that was clearly just an invitation to get fired up from the outset.

Mel, I thought I addressed this in response to the pm's you sent me telling me to go fuck myself. Perhaps saying you know as much as a doctor about the effect of drugs is a little arrogant? 8)

People have made some great points in this thread, especially potato, kb and duckboy and it was definitely an interesting read.

I NEVER FUCKING SAID THAT!

I said that I knew how drugs affect the brain. Like wtf ?

And you know what, for airing dirty laundry, you can really go fuck yourself. Forget Saturday night.

anna! said:
You know, just for example.

If this thread continues to just go round and round and round, I'm going to close it with a view to breakyaself telling the mirror all about how much she knows and even why she started a thread that was clearly just an invitation to get fired up from the outset.

You have no idea what I was trying to do.

lol.

aggressive? never.

thread closed in 5...4...3....2...........

next up : identification of self-issues in and by psychology students :)
we can call it Anger Management 303

You people are seriously fucked in the head. The only reason I had to mention it a million times is because KB kept saying shit I wasnt saying. Im laughing at utterly stupid you people are. I never said I knew more, I said I knew enough and that I knew just about as much as doctor does. Which I later said was irrelevant and asked for KB to tell me how knowledge of what drugs do to your brain has anything to do with controlling the potential damage.

You people are all fucked. Thank you for making me see what a bunch of fucktards you all are. Thank you Duckboy for relevant information that has somewhat skewed my view of things which Anna! You stupid bitch, was the point of opening this thread.

breakyaself said:
I know for myself personally, I would have about as much knowledge about what the effects are on the brain as a doctor, as that is what I study.
I'm not making this stuff up.

Nor am I.

Its hilarious that you have no idea how in depth or what i was actually talking about, but you assume that cant be as indepth as what they teach to med students. so obviously I must be lying. What about you and your stupid assumptions about what I do and dont know ?

ANNA/MODS - I would appreciate leaving this thread open, purely so when the working people get home they can have a look and add some constructive input. it IS an interesting topic.

Maybe prune some of the insults and irrelevant stuff in the meantime, if you must??

Breaka - to be honest, i would say your knowledge of neuroscience/neuropharmacology would surpass that of the average medical student if you have indeed studied the area for an entire year.
That said, i would place many $$ on the fact that the vast majority of drug-using doctors (or any other people with the relevant knowledge) would have a very highly honed understanding of exactly what they are taking, how it works, and what it's short and longer term effects are, as well as any interactions and reasons why many popular "ease the comedown pain" methods work.

Children... Geez, I leave this thread on first page for a few hours and look what happens, you all get mr.angry pants...

Back on topic: Doctors should know better, and I'm less likely to trust somebody with my body when they cannot look after their own.

breakyaself said:
You people are seriously fucked in the head. The only reason I had to mention it a million times is because KB kept saying shit I wasnt saying. Im laughing at utterly stupid you people are. I never said I knew more, I said I knew enough and that I knew just about as much as doctor does. Which I later said was irrelevant and asked for KB to tell me how knowledge of what drugs do to your brain has anything to do with controlling the potential damage.

You people are all fucked. Thank you for making me see what a bunch of fucktards you all are. Thank you Duckboy for relevant information that has somewhat skewed my view of things which Anna! You stupid bitch, was the point of opening this thread.

someone needs some mdma....:)

would you trust a doctor who smokes?

What about one who freestyle climbs? or base jumps?

Everyone takes risks of some kind.....

^ Yeah but that's personal risk. Noone else is at risk if their doctor jumps off cliffs for fun so it isn't relevant.

Duckboy said:
ANNA/MODS - I would appreciate leaving this thread open, purely so when the working people get home they can have a look and add some constructive input. it IS an interesting topic.

Maybe prune some of the insults and irrelevant stuff in the meantime, if you must??

Breaka - to be honest, i would say your knowledge of neuroscience/neuropharmacology would surpass that of the average medical student if you have indeed studied the area for an entire year.
That said, i would place many $$ on the fact that the vast majority of drug-using doctors (or any other people with the relevant knowledge) would have a very highly honed understanding of exactly what they are taking, how it works, and what it's short and longer term effects are, as well as any interactions and reasons why many popular "ease the comedown pain" methods work.

That was exactly my point.

I never said that doctors knew less. I have studied that area for a year so I assumed I would be on par. That was my point. And some over zealous idiots misinterpreted what I was implying. I was never being arrogant. You underestimated what I knew.

To stay on topic, is there an ethical code as to how doctors should act, and if there is, is taking drugs something that is not compatible with that ethical code, and if so, drug taking doctors are obviously not adhering to that code. Does that mean that you just ignore that one part of the ethical code, or it all ? And if you do just ignore that one part of the code, is there any point to having a practicing code of ethics for doctors ? I for one believe/d that if you agree to become a doctor or a lawyer or a cop, you agree to that ethical code when you become indoctrinated (probably wrong word) into that profession.

I thought that if you were caught using drugs, that you would lose your liscense. Is it worth it ?

(sorry , lots of questions)

Like fatz said, what about other professions? I can think of a few more that would impact alot more lives than a Doctor if the 'unthinkable' happened.

Aren't pilots renowned for their drug use? They're responsible for the lives of thousands of people a day and I'd imagine taking off and landing would be quite difficult to do, let alone being scattered while doing it.

PS: Shouldn't this be in Aus Drug Discussion? :p

mel what about the legal code that we're all meant to follow, drugs are not compatible with that code yet many people still use them safely.

and wouldn't it be caught practising under the influence of drugs? duckboy is saying people he knows don't use anytime close to when they have to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.