Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Doctors taking recreational drugs ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakyaself

Bluelighter
I expressed an opinion in a thread about doctors taking recreational drugs. And as expected was met with hostility about my opinion from other drug users. I would like to see someone convince me, in discussion here how its acceptable for a doctor to be using recreational drugs. I would like to hear from everyone. Especially moderators and people working in the field.

Why I think that the concept of Doctors taking recreational drugs is absolutely absurd, disgusting and disturbing is mainly based in my own experience of being scattered. Forgetting things, even weeks after not taking drugs, is something that I have heard everyone complain about. Beside that, you cant ignore the FACT that ecstasy is neurotoxic, as is most other amphetamine stimulants. Consequently in taking substances that kill neurons in the part of your brain that are required for memory and I am sure other vital functions, (research is yet to be conclusive) I cant see how a Doctor, someone that is responsible for sometimes the life and death of other human beings based on their meticulous judgement can justify to me their drug use resulting in the deterioration of these essential brain functions.

Before anyone wants to accuse me of being on my 'high horse' perhaps you would like to carefully take off your drug fuelled glasses, and address my points. Maybe my argument is weak ? Maybe it's not factual. Criticise me, but if you dare try and avoid arguing and smoke screening with big words I dont and never will nor never care to understand, or criticise my grammAr, I will cry like a fucking girl.

There is a huge difference between addiction and occasional drug use. I don't think that having a pill every now and again [or even a bender once in a blue moon - as long as there is adequate recovery time] poses a significant problem.

Actually coming to work scattered or on drugs is entirely different but I doubt there are many doctors who would be that irresponsible. And besides, can you think of anything worse than having to work a 13 hour shift as a doctor while scattered? I'm sure they would avoid it for the sake of their own sanity if nothing else. ;)

I think you're truly underestimating a doctor's dedication to his profession.

Moderation?

edit: for OP
^ I think your opinion is a fair call and doesnt deserve ridicule. It should also apply to other occupations where peoples lives can be affected. eg. An engineer/programmer working on a pacemaker that restarts your heart. My old lecturer quit his job on that exact project for fear making a mistake.

Obviously its already illegal if illegal substances are involved.
But is it moral?

Personally I believe it belongs at the conscience of the practitioner to ensure that they dont do anything that would seriously endanger someones life. Certainly the hours they are forced to work would have a far greater effect than all but the worse scattered days :eek:

'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone'

that's a pretty fucking hypocritical stance to take, considering they know more about the drugs they ingest than you do
get off your high horse
and you can't accuse me of wearing drug fuelled glasses

I agree totally with breakyaself. Recreational drugs and doctors are a no no! How would you like your surgeon coming down off a binge of some fierce mda beans operating on your spleen?

This is a fucking disgrace. You could have at least left it a few months. You stopped having a go at the doctor in that thread. And now how do you think it may not only be making him feel, but also others that may actually be in the same profession. I know it may not seem to, but to some people this is quite a personal attack.

Doctors would clearly know ALOT about not only the substancess going into there bodies, and the side affects. But unless you studied medicine, they would also know ALOT more than the standard person when it comes to how you're body will treat what's going in, if you have a medical condition then the doctor would know what you CAN & CAN'T have, what it may react like with your condition etc.

From your side of the arguement, you're affraid that doctors are under the influence while they do their job. How different is it if the person taking drugs was a Taxi Driver, Police Man, Aircraft Pilot, Bus Driver, Kindergarten Teacher. All jobs where peoples' lives "could" be in danger. However is if for this reason the people can't have a controlled or even fun social life? Out of those examples, clearly I would trust a doctor to know what he's doing above all others.

which other thread is this stemming from? it might not be entirely relevant but it'd be nice to see where the hostility towards breakyaself is coming from.
i think it's a fairly valid question, especially as she's asking for the opinions of bluelighters who might work in the field.

i think both sides are making some good points here- while doctors will surely be more aware than the everyday joe of the effects certain activities will have on their bodies, i do agree the problems caused by being scattered and forgetting something or mixing something up could be disasterous.

preacha said:
that's a pretty fucking hypocritical stance to take, considering they know more about the drugs they ingest than you do
get off your high horse
and you can't accuse me of wearing drug fuelled glasses

I dont think they know more than me. A lot of Doctors have very limited information when it comes to drugs, and even so, how does knowing 'more' about a drug stop its effects ?! I know for myself personally, I would have about as much knowledge about what the effects are on the brain as a doctor, as that is what I study. The brain. But I mean I also know a lot of Bluelighters who spend time also gaining knowledge. Its out there and its easy to learn. Beside that, yours and Fatz argument doesnt hold up. I fail to see how knowing what happens to you, stops the damage caused. Only pre and post loading can stop some of the symptoms being worse than what they are, but the word NUEROTOXIC means that pre and post loading wont do much to save brain cells.

Last edited:
Fatz - This is no personal attack. I am seriously interested in how doctors can justify their drug use. I dont know Duckboy, nor do I really care to. I dont see Bluelight, nor the internet as a medium for creating deep, meaningful and beautiful relationships. Most of you are just a bunch of words typed out onto a screen. And yeah, even if I have met you for brief moments. Just because I know of someone who knows someone else doesnt mean that I should not express an opinion on the internet. As you may have already been aware, I dont come online to make friends sweetheart. It is also not my fault that this thread may hit a nerve with some. Maybe the fact that it would (according to your opinion) is telling enough ?

Anyway, carry on !

breakyaself said:
I dont think they know more than me. A lot of Doctors have very limited information when it comes to drugs, and even so, how does knowing 'more' about a drug stop its effects ?!

THat's a fucking stupid ludacris statement... It really is. Stop the side affects? haha. No ones' actually saying that. However they would be able to at least predict sideaffects. And therefore prepare themselves for it.

And don't say that are points are usless. If you think they're useless, why would you open up a thread if not expecting discussion?

but fatz being able to predict that your head will be a bit messy for a few days isn't really something that preparing for can help.
yeah you can take your vitamins and your 5htp but at the end of the day most people are still a bit scattered despite that.

up all night said:
There is a huge difference between addiction and occasional drug use. I don't think that having a pill every now and again [or even a bender once in a blue moon - as long as there is adequate recovery time] poses a significant problem.

Actually coming to work scattered or on drugs is entirely different but I doubt there are many doctors who would be that irresponsible. And besides, can you think of anything worse than having to work a 13 hour shift as a doctor while scattered? I'm sure they would avoid it for the sake of their own sanity if nothing else. ;)

You make a lot of weird assumptions here that lead to this. A doctor taking drugs now more than once every three months and has a 2 week recovery period is ok. First, I find that impossible that would actually occur. I say 3 months, because that is how long seratonin levels take to come back to normal and I say a 2 week recovery period, because in research that I have read, has mentioned that is how long certain things, like memory, can be effected. I believe the research, because I am the research.

Also, if you take more than 50 pills in your lifetime, you are classified as a lifelong user. This is a label that is used when assessing cause for brain damage. You can't become 'addicted' physically to ectasy, nor is it a matter of being an occassional user or not. Once again, I have to mention the fact that each pill kills.

up all night said:

I am not making any judgements at all. I am asking people to justify doctors recreational drug use. Thats it.

FaTz said:
THat's a fucking stupid ludacris statement... It really is. Stop the side affects? haha. No ones' actually saying that. However they would be able to at least predict sideaffects. And therefore prepare themselves for it.

And don't say that are points are usless. If you think they're useless, why would you open up a thread if not expecting discussion?

I fear for your children.

m4dd0g said:
'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone'

I am not saying I am not without sin. I am asking people to cast stones. I am asking for opinions. Also, I am not talking about regular Joe Blow. I am talking about God's second pair of hands.

So you think that EVERYONE that takes drugs don't think about the consequences? So that would also mean that every drug user doesn't care even if they KNOW they've got something on in a few days, they won't care because they know they'll be scattered? There are people that don't get come downs, there are people who aren't as sketchy as what other people are.

Doctors were once the most respected people around. It is one of the most stressful jobs going, and yet you think that all the doctors out there are reckless and stupid?

Fuck me, if you think that people would go and do a 13 hour shift whilst being sketchy and scattered? No one would do that to themselves.

breakyaself said:
I fear for your children.

And why would that be? I'm currently raising three sisters. Are you saying because I'm trying to enter into a discussion that would make me a bad father? Or the fact that I do see your point and yet I'm still trying to get my point over to you so that must also make me a bad father?

Don't use personal attacks like that

FaTz said:
So you think that EVERYONE that takes drugs don't think about the consequences? So that would also mean that every drug user doesn't care even if they KNOW they've got something on in a few days, they won't care because they know they'll be scattered?...

fatz you're generalising. you know that's not being said. many people (thanks to bluelight and the like) do think about the consequences.

Fuck me, if you think that people would go and do a 13 hour shift whilst being sketchy and scattered? No one would do that to themselves.

i can't speak for mel but i'm not thinking of the day after you havent eaten or slept scattered, i'm thinking about a few days later when every now and then something slips your mind. 99 out of a hundred times that won't be an issue, but what about that 1%?

ANY person is able to do drugs and perform whatever job they have as long as the drug use is responsible.

Also, isn't mdma's neurotoxicity still unproven?

Status
Not open for further replies.