• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Doctor Shopping for Pharms

its for a gov rebate the majority of the time...the anti psychotics are so flamin expensive that they need an authority to prescribe it to YOU + the rabate thingy ma jiggy!

It's true that you can only have one "authority" script at the time. However, dr.s also have the option of writing private scripts which are not done thorugh the government system and cost the patient more. I'm not going to say how to get your Dr. to prescribe non-authority scripts, but it is possible.

I have never dr. shopped in my life, I found out about this little trick by accident. Pharmacy shopping, that's another story altogether. ;)

i'm not terribly interested in the "fun meds", ok..so yeah i am.. but i am very interested in finding a doctor who will listen to my problems and solve them. i have a lot of trouble sleeping, have done for many many years, but every doc i've spoken to has said "just try to relax, cut down on caffeine and drink warm milk" :p
it's so frustrating, i think it's because apparently i'm in the 'high risk age' or whatever for addiction, but fuck me i need to sleep. until i find a decent doc, phenergan is my best bedtime friend :(

~Miss*E~ said:
i'm not terribly interested in the "fun meds", ok..so yeah i am.. but i am very interested in finding a doctor who will listen to my problems and solve them. i have a lot of trouble sleeping, have done for many many years, but every doc i've spoken to has said "just try to relax, cut down on caffeine and drink warm milk" :p
it's so frustrating, i think it's because apparently i'm in the 'high risk age' or whatever for addiction, but fuck me i need to sleep. until i find a decent doc, phenergan is my best bedtime friend :(

have you tried melatonin?. it usually takes me forever to sleep but melatonin helps. you can get it on the web for 7$ US/Bottle of 60 3Mg caps.

^i'd never heard of it till now. cheers mate, i may have to give it a go :)

^^^^^^^^^^

Hey Miss E. Insomnia is awefull, I know because I have had it. BAD!!! Not all but many GP's don't help you at all, or pescribe you into dangerous waters. Read on and hopefully you can learn from some of my experiances.

First trying to acheive results without meds is the best approach. Try gettin into regular sleeping pattern. I have found getting into bed 10pm on weeknights helps, leave it any later and I sort of wake up again. Also things like a good diet, relaxation exercises and getting lots of exercise also help. It won't happen over night, but it will happen.

Now sometimes its not that easy. Meds work for sure, buts it's a minefield and a dangerous one to boot. Benzo's can help you sleep, but they are only effective for a short period of time, around 14 days. And they are very addictive and in the long term you don't get good sleep from them. You don't go throught the proper sleep cycles. Other options like Stilnox, which is a hypnotic work very well, are not as addictive BUT still are not a long term solution. Guess what happens when you stop using them. You can't sleep.

Now some say that insomnia is a sign of depression/anxiety, even if you don't feel either of these two. Treatment with a mild (it's not an SSRI) & sedating anti depressant can work very well such as Mirtazipan (brand name Avanza here in Australia). Interestingly the less you have of it the more sedating it is. It comes in 30mg tablets. I was taking half, and found that I slept well. Compared to the other options, if your interested in long term benifit I would say its the type of option thats worth looking at.

My personal opinion about these drugs is that they still should be used for a limited period of time where possible, to get you back on track.

Benzo's work, so does stuff like stilnox BUT if you want to rely on these things, well in the long run it can = hell.

If you want benzo's well good luck, just create some good stories!! but I'm sure if you told your doctor that you would like to try something like Avanza I'm sure they would help.

^ thanks for the advice :)
i have really stupid hours of operation, which means i can't have a regular sleeping pattern. i've found that i function pretty well if i get decent (6-8 hours) sleep just a couple of days a week, but i just can't get to sleep.
all i really need is something that will knock me out, but not keep me out once or twice a week.

Stupid hours of operation make it pretty hard. Having said that, in terms of your best option for the most non addictive (not saying this makes it safe or needed) option would first be, Melatonin. Some find it works wonders. It stimulates the hormone that holds/keeps you from waking. Ie. you get a proper length of sleep.

I'd still look at Avanza. To gain benifit from it in terms of anxiety or depression they say you need 14 days to a month of use. Having said that you don't sound depressed or anxietous and its still going to sedate you effectivly if used for a few days here and there. Especially with a low dose say 15mg. I'm willing to bet just ask your doctor and he'd prescribe it.

After that Stilnox. Lastly if you want Benzo's by all means go for it, but just be aware of their serious side.

Guys, once again; no instructional information.

Remember, this website is not here to help you get drugs.

It seems to be doctors just want to take the easy way out when some one has a problem and give them a quick fix. They seem to be really good at just handing out scripts when they probably shouldn't be. I believe people get what they want from a doctor by picking the right story and finding the right doctor that will help their so called problem (or even if the problem is for real) in the way they want to be helped.

I have done this before to get sleeping tablets.

^ Its entirely doctor dependant, its pretty insulting and ignorant to label every doctor that way. In my experience most of them genuinly want to help people solve their problems.

basix said:
In my experience most of them genuinly want to help people solve their problems.

I'd say you are lucky.. in my experiences its really hard to find a good doctor.. just last week a doctor tried to prescribe my sister anti-depressants for damn kidney stones.

question i go to 2 different doctor places to see 2 GPs now if i get a script off each doctor and have taken them to same pharmacy can i get in trouble. will they find out that i go to different doctors and bust my ass?
Is that doctor shoppping?

Yeah doctor shopping is a long term thing. its hard to go to a new doctor place and ask for this... i can't sleep or i am trying to quit...
The doctor has got to know you or you must have a damn good reason eg. moved house.

Ive Dr Shopped very easily for sleeping tabs. In reality I am a bad sleeper but I know i usually use them after a big bender weekend... which isnt very often but mostly i use it as precaution so i can get to sleep for work on Monday on the odd occassions when I cant.
Sometimes i just use them for general things... like too stressed had a bad bad week and really need some decent sleep.
Most Drs approve but they dont give out many. I know they can be addictive so I rarely use them on a regular occassion.

The HIC and NPS do track people and some medications through medicare/CRN numbers. However this is limited to certain medications and if the rx is on PBS or not.

One linked database for not only Pharmacist's but all medico's would be a great idea, but I doubt I'll see one in my lifetime.

A lot of the time (not meaning to sterotype) doctors and pharmacists can pick up on something/someone dodgy when they present. At the end of the day though, whether we can be bothered dealing with it and getting in an argument with the person if its minor is another thing. Maybe like a cop nabbing someone for J-Walking? Its just discression I guess!

A colleague once said to me, if something's rotten it will stink. Good point!

I know for a fact that this type of thing is investigated thourougly. but not through patients (well not that i know of, it's certainly possible) but through doctors.

let's just say that a direct family member of mine was the head 'investigator' - if you will - of tracking down doctors who rort the system, be that thru over prescribing, or over billing. and believe me, the vast majority of them get caught (ofcourse, because they get greedy).

That's very true. Because every time you go to a doctor your medicare card is recorded and these stats are viewed by medicare Australia to find out doctors who are overcharging (remember the skin cancer rort in the news recently?) and the HIC and NPS view prescribing statistics. I know plently of doctors professionally who are not allowed to prescribe certain items - benzo's, pethidine, MS-Contin.

The most widely abused/forged items are MS-Contin 100mg and Diazepam 5mg.

Most of the time, doctors will prescribe on the NHS. Pharmacies send their prescription data off at the end of each month to get paid. If you are a dodgy doctor you will get caught, if you doctor shop the same goes.