• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Do You Consider Yourself a User, an Abuser or an Addict?

I think a lot of my 'abuse' occurred when I was younger (which is probably what caused my 'use' these days). I couldn't see consequences to the way I used... well....pretty much anything I could get my hands on regularly.

I still have days where I go 'shit I've used way too much of that today', I suppose that's a day of abuse. (One of those days where shit stops working).

I'll always be a user, whether it's legal or illegals. But whether I'll be using them to get high or as prescribed might be a different thing.

'Addict' to me, isn't so much whether your physically dependent on something, more of a mental thing is what i'd class it as.
So yeah, I'm one of them too.

My main point about the terms being subjective is that to some people, any use of marijuana at all would be abuse. Some may consider any use of caffeine as abuse, so I stand by my earlier statements. Classifying your own use as abuse may help you if you want to stop the abuse, if that's what you think it is, but apart from that, well, I see no reason to classify using drugs as abusing drugs.

"Excessively using" or "Using to one's detriment" may be better, but still, that's more of a personal reflection on your own use. Judging others with labels and stereotypes, again, in my opinion, reinforces "something" negative which shouldn't be.

My main point about the terms being subjective is that to some people, any use of marijuana at all would be abuse. Some may consider any use of caffeine as abuse, so I stand by my earlier statements. Classifying your own use as abuse may help you if you want to stop the abuse, if that's what you think it is, but apart from that, well, I see no reason to classify using drugs as abusing drugs.

"Excessively using" or "Using to one's detriment" may be better, but still, that's more of a personal reflection on your own use. Judging others with labels and stereotypes, again, in my opinion, reinforces "something" negative which shouldn't be.

I get what your saying.. When I was processing my initial reply in this thread, I had to think more about the marijuana. When I had to do chemotherapy for my cancer, I had no problems with my marijuana use as a medicine, despite its legal status.
However, my continued use of it after I beat the cancer was no longer medicinal in the way that it was. It is much easier for me to quantify alcohol abuse than it is marijuana abuse... or if you can really even abuse it. You can definitely use it and/or be psychologically dependent on it. But their is no physical dependence on marijuana; certainly not like opiates or benzos.

Anyway, I am enjoying this discussion. I had more typed, but I emptied the kief catcher and went too deep philosophizing on the subject so I erased everything else.

Keep up the posts. I like reading your thoughts and opinions. :)

I get what your saying.. When I was processing my initial reply in this thread, I had to think more about the marijuana. When I had to do chemotherapy for my cancer, I had no problems with my marijuana use as a medicine, despite its legal status.
However, my continued use of it after I beat the cancer was no longer medicinal in the way that it was. It is much easier for me to quantify alcohol abuse than it is marijuana abuse... or if you can really even abuse it. You can definitely use it and/or be psychologically dependent on it. But their is no physical dependence on marijuana; certainly not like opiates or benzos.

Anyway, I am enjoying this discussion. I had more typed, but I emptied the kief catcher and went too deep philosophizing on the subject so I erased everything else.

Keep up the posts. I like reading your thoughts and opinions. :)

What opi8 said is very true, but I think his point can go in conjunction with mine now that he's posted a more detailed response. I remember when my brother used marijuana everyday, and that was back when I was 14-15. My parents eventually caught on and, like the disciplinary people they were, went on to punish him and lecture him about how bad marijuana was.
However, now that I'm 18, I see my Dad frequent the shirt which he got from Nimbin Mardi Grass, and as I type there is a marijuana-leaf-candle in front of me, a marijuana pendant to my right, as well as a myriad of books including Fear and Loathing and a Rolling Stones biography. My point is that marijuana use was bad for my brother only because he was the son of my Father and Mother, yet it seems fine if my Dad wears the apparel of a hippie who smokes just a bit too much pot, as though he himself smokes pot.

Opi8, I change my meaning of "drug-abuser" to the following after reading your comment;
A person who uses, or intends to use, drugs, however many times, in order to exploit its negative effects with the intention of harming oneself; i.e. IV'ing Heroin to kill oneself. When I was in the ward I met a man who tried killing himself in a public toilet in the Valley via Heroin flowing swiftly from his arm to his brain. That man was a drug abuser.

started off as an user. slowly progressived into an abuser... then last few years well and truely addicted (self admitted addict too)

and now back to becoming a moderate user in all drugs again :)

use drugs in moderation guys :)
it can be done.

User I suppose. Even after daily use for extended periods of time, watching people that used alot less than me come undone ive always managed to stave off serious addiction, to the point I really wonder how far I could go and come out unscathed.

I started off just using at 14, luckily I couldn't afford all that much or else it would have turned into a bigger problem no doubt. When I hit 18 I had a full time job and got into the club scene and definitely started abusing heavily on the weekends, though i never took anything through the week. Probably at my heaviest stage of abuse I found bluelight as I was quite interested in drugs at that point and since then it's been a slow path of using less and less, All the abuse stopped once I found out how things worked and what I was doing to myself. Now I easily use in moderation and quite safely when i do so.

So thanks bluelight!

I dunno besides a relatively privileged upbringing I became enamoured with drugs at age 12. For reasons I can't remembered I just knew I wanted to try everything I could. I guess when you start that young, you aren't aware of how the habits become engrained. Not that I was abusing anything back then, just experimenting, but I was extracting codeine before I learnt how to smoke weed.

Today? I guess i'm a bit of everything. Words lose meaning in definitions and subjective interpretation. MY interpretation? Everyone's a drug addict of some sort. I just reckon variety is the spice of life. Gimme a little bit of everything - maybe I'l be psychologically dependant on drugs, but fuckit, changing it up keeps the physical dependence at bay.

Who wants to live to 90 anyway?

Can we make a fourth option...? in denial?
have been an abuser, frequently a user, and at present, I will claim option 4. soon to be addressed :)

Denial is fine if you think the current laws are beneficial to society and fair as a whole. I do not think that way.

Denial is fine if you think the current laws are beneficial to society and fair as a whole. I do not think that way.
Sorry opi8, I do not get your point. How does this thread relate to current laws?
I tend to agree with you about the fairness and beneficial, but I may have missed as to how they relate here :/

No, I don't think they're fair to society as a whole. I think they aim to be fair.

@bunnymunro - I don't claim ownership of that post, nor can I determine its intent or meaning. I think my headspace at the time (I can't be sure) was hung up on the laws for some reason, maybe another thread or another website or something.