• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Do You Consider Yourself a User, an Abuser or an Addict?

when I was in my 20's I was reckless, done things a look back on and cringe.

Now Im a bit older Ive slowed my drug use down to once every blue moon, I still love drugs and will go hard but back then I had no sense of self preservation.

Im happy like this and wouldnt/couldnt go back to abusing drugs like I did. Its not good for your mental state

really depended on the drug.. became an addict to two, abused all of them for awhile, physically dependent on two, and in the end had no problems with most.

when I was young we had proper ecstacy
You tell that goonbag how it is mister:)

Although I am an addict but its not ruining my life.
a big distinction that is rarely acknowledged.. addiction does not mean abuse!

Last edited:
Very much just an occasional weekend user.

Like many I used to have pills / meth / weed every other weekend in my late teens to early 20s but that has slowed right down now.

These days weed every couple of months, meth / MDMA maybe once or twice a year. Dexies sometimes when I go out drinking.

Spackeradder- hi there and very interesting post..

Just to let you know, especially regarding what had been written in your records about being a "poly substance abuser", any drug use at all, no matter how small or how infrequent you use, of a illegal or illicit drug is considered drug abuse. Drug abuse is any use of a substance that is outside of cultural or societal norms.

Drug addiction is beahvior that indicates that (the use of) the drug pretty much dictates your life and is the domibebt influence on your behavior. In other words, pretty much everything in your life revolves around using the drug, getting the drug or recovering from use of the drug. Plus, in a case like this would be when use interferes withother parts of your life, ie relationships, school, work etc.

The physical symptoms of withdrawal that you are describibg in your post usually goes along with addiction but not always with drug use or abuse. For example, in my past I have abused (by definition) many drugs. I smoked a lot of pot and tried a lot of other things. I was never addicted because I just usually did it here and there. If there were important things going on I didn't let drug use interfere.

As of now, I am a chronic pain patient and am prescribed opiates/opioids. So I am definitely a drug user daily. The difference is it is sanctioned by medical doctor(reluctantly..lol). If I do not take them I for sure have major withdrawals and am sick as a dog. If for some reason I don't have them I will be desperate to get some, legally or illegally. I do sometimes use more than is prescribed due to being undermedicated. (I used to be on a much higher dose for pain but upon moving and getting a new doc he started at much lower dose. But in technical terms I am an abuser sometimes too.

So...I don't consider myself an addict. But one time I lost my prescription (seriously) and one time they screwed up my appt dates and I couldn't get into see the doc before my prescription ran out. Both of those times I was preoccupied with obtaining my DOC because of fear of pain but even more so for fear of withdrawals. (Though the term they use technically in cases like those is psuedo-addiction). So I guess it all depends on the situation.

Check out this page

I've used alcohol, speed, ecstasy and occasionally cocaine without any major implications other than some harsh comedowns that lasted 24-48 hours.

Ice was a different beast however, it started out as weekend fun like the other drugs I've used but soon become an addiction where I would be on the pipe for 3 or 4 days, get a few days of recovery in and then get back when I was over the comedown.

Ice was a vicious circle of use, abuse and ultimately addiction. In my opinion it takes masterful will-power and discipline to be an ice user without falling into abuse and/or addiction.

Everything I say gets taken to offense. Sorry, I thought you meant "Societal standards", not actual laws. :(

I wasn't offend!! =D Sorry its hard to tell emotional intent behind text but I wasn't offended or angry :p

I understand the basis of the argument that addiction is a disease but I don't particularly subscribe to the theory. Certainly for me, using ice snowballed into abuse and then addiction. I chose to start using ice completely disregarding the bad reputation the drug has and from early on I knew it wasn't going to end well.

http://AddictionScience.net/ASNabuseAddiction.htm

Sorry...had trouble adding to previous post

http://AddictionScience.net/ASNabuseAddiction.htm

Sorry...had trouble adding to previous post

Thanks for that link, missmeyet, t'was was a rather interesting read.

Who here believes addiction is a disease?

I've never been able to make up my mind one way or another on this subject. One thing I do know is that most all the drug fiends I know are obviously carting around mental illnesses in their heads, myself included. If we're not plain ol' majorly depressed, we're psychotic, or bipolar, or schizophrenic...

I dunno if drug addiction itself is indeed a disease, but I know drug addicts are very often diseased people.

See I really don't know if its a disease because if someone had your DOC in 1 hand and had a loaded gun in the other hand and said you can choose, take your DOC and get shot in the head/die or don't take your DOC and live, I'm guessing 99% of people would choose to live. To me a disease is something the person has no control over happening to them. We choose to consume our DOC and I know it's very hard not to when addicted because who wants to get sick and feel like shit when all you have to do is take your DOC and you will feel normal again. But then with some drugs it gets to a point where you can seriously get sick and even die if you don't take your DOC, such as Benzos and Alcohol. At that point I can see it being a disease.

I started taking Codeine because of depression and anti-depressants were doing more damage than good, so I started medicating myself and it worked, except the trade off is addiction which I was happy to live with. My CADS Doctor loves throwing that in my face saying Codeine isn't and cant be used to treat the depressed. Maybe he's right but it works for me.

I think the biggest problem being an addict is constantly worrying about getting your DOC, it becomes your only focus and that is why most addicts go down hill IMO. So if drugs were legal then we would see a lot of addicts getting on with their lives because they no longer have to worry about it and its no longer the main focus in their lives. At least this is how it is for me at the moment.

Just wanted to bring up my thoughts on this post as I have pretty different opinions;)

Spackeradder-

Just to let you know, especially regarding what had been written in your records about being a "poly substance abuser", any drug use at all, no matter how small or how infrequent you use, of a illegal or illicit drug is considered drug abuse. Drug abuse is any use of a substance that is outside of cultural or societal norms.
step one- learn to think for yourself.. IMO breaking a law doesn't to use a substance responsibly may be reckless but it is no indicator of abuse.

The physical symptoms of withdrawal that you are describing in your post usually goes along with addiction but not always with drug use or abuse. For example, in my past I have abused (by definition) many drugs. I smoked a lot of pot and tried a lot of other things. I was never addicted because I just usually did it here and there. If there were important things going on I didn't let drug use interfere.
Physical withdrawal do go with addiction to drugs that cause a physical dependence, some of the most addictive drugs have little or no physical dependence.. Addiction is the nearly compulsive need to use a drug, most addicts in recovery can make it long periods of time before the compulsion gets to great and they choose to use to get relief, so by using your idea of addiction these people are no longer addicted because they only use here and there?... How often you use is no indicator of addiction. Experiencing an unconscious drive to use at time is.

The difference is it is sanctioned by medical doctor
I need this doctors number (just kidding of course), because I need nim to give me his sanction, then i will no longer be an addict, because drugs in a little colored bottle with my name on it and a doctors sanction work differently on me then the same chemical bought from a person that has a similar little bottle:?

So I guess it all depends on the situation.
IMO there is the trueth and what we choose to tell ourselves.

I think it is important to recognize their is a distinction between "dependence" and "addiction".

Like missmeyet, I am a chronic pain patient. I traded my dependent free life for pain relief. It bothered me for awhile as I was completely clean and sober for over 20 years. Twice I have gone off the meds to be sure my pain was still real and that I was not just over sensitive. The doc was very understanding and after confirming it for myself, I let him manage me. I don't take more than allotted and I don't second source him. The only time I allow myself a "nod" is at bed time.

I do believe in the disease model of addiction when it comes to treatment. I was an addict at 19 running from reality. Frankly, It was nice to find out I was sick and not "crazy". It totally made sense. A chemical predisposition coupled with low self esteem and poor coping skills is how it was described to me. It fit and I have observed the same in others over the last 25 years.

Abusing a substance does not mean you are an addict or an alcoholic or will become one.
example:Plenty of kids abuse alcohol in college and drop that behavior after college.

I have never smoked crack or done crystal meth. If I had, I don't think I would be alive today. I have never met a casual user of either crack or meth that I new of. Some drugs seem to take away the power of choice almost immediately.

^ Can't speak of crack as I have no experience with that, but I do know plenty of casual meth users.

The definitions of using/abusing and addiction, which may include physical and/or psychological dependence are all subjective and overlap. Abusing to one may be using to another. Addiction to one may simply be dependance to another.

I also don't see why it's necessary to place a label on yourself wrt your drug use. Labels and stereotypes are usually negative.

Labels help us put a name to our behaviors. It is not positive or negative in itself, but in what context it is used.

I think it is a great thread. Several people have been quite honest here. Maybe it has helped others look at and identify their own behavior. You can't change something if you do not know what it is you want to change.

^ Can't speak of crack as I have no experience with that, but I do know plenty of casual meth users.

The definitions of using/abusing and addiction, which may include physical and/or psychological dependence are all subjective and overlap. Abusing to one may be using to another. Addiction to one may simply be dependance to another.

This whole "everything/x is subjective" argument only goes so far. Words are assigned meanings, just like objects are assigned words, with the intent of creating an mutual language understandable by all. Definitions are based on objective truths, and they're recognised as the same by people through intelligibility; for example, we know that "abuse" is, by definition, something which is exploited generally for monetary or emotional gain.

The meaning of a word, however, is relatively subjective as it changes depending on the culture in which it's used; for example, in the court of law or at a crime scene the word "abuse" can be associated with "domestic abuse", something which isn't specifically detailed in the definition of the word "abuse".

My point is that, while things are subjective, a belief, however subjective, can be justified through reason (or other methods such as emotions) and the level of objectivity is what makes a certain belief more valid than other less deserving beliefs. The point of this thread is not only to establish what sort of category we, as individuals, fit under appropriately, but to reach a valid conclusion on what the difference between the three words are in terms of drug-use. Talking about whether the discussion is worth it or not is just discussing semantics, and it's as redundant as the inherent discussion brought up in this thread.

I haven't exactly thought about the topic, but I suppose I could chime in;

Drug-use could be "use" in general, or, more specifically, it (the meaning) could be use of drugs with little to no negative effects as a consequence, including post-cravings and excessive use.

Drug-abuse could just mean Using a drug excessively or with no regard of the drug's potential consequences, nor with any moderation.

Drug-addiction could mean A constant desire for a certain drug as a result of psychological/physiological withdrawal. This includes any desire for non-reality as well, and using drugs as a means to constantly achieve that desire.

A drug addict can use in moderation, but only to keep certain withdrawals at bay. A drug user respects the boundaries in which drug-use becomes dangerous and/or a negative impact in general.

That's my definition of it, anyway. I don't consider myself a drug abuser, in retrospect, but just an addict and a user in general