• yes

Votes: 56 65.1%
  • no

Votes: 30 34.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lightitup

Bluelighter
This came across my head in the thread talking about whether or not MDMA was a "psychedelic" by many of our definitions. Someone here who I respect claimed that MDMA was not a psychedelic, but neither was Ketamine if we were putting it into this definition.

So, I was curious what the rest of you thought, and whether Ketamine is actually a psychedelic by how you view the drug, and the term.

PS: Can someone make this a poll, I can't figure it out...?:|

Poll added.
i voted yes.

ill come and explain why later as i dont have time right now.

ketamine, i believe is a dissociative. im pretty sure hallucinogens are divided up into the three subclasses of psychedelics, dissociatives, and deliriants.. ketamine being a dissociative.

Psychedelic means mind expanding/manifesting. To me, this means a drug experience that taps into the unconscious to stir up images or memories, and/or disrupts the normal functioning of the ego profoundly. Ketamine certainly does this, so I'd call it psychedelic. Most drugs have at least a small potential to be psychedelic in the right set and setting, but to call a drug "a psychedelic" implies to me that it's known for usually producing such effects. Opiates can be psychedelic in the sense of pulling up unconscious content, but most of the time they aren't all that mind manifesting.

The CEV's that are associated with ketamine and other NMDA receptor antagonist/"dissociative's are in my opinion very psychedelic. Open eye visuals can and do occur when ketamine is taken in sufficient quantity. IM administration is much different than oral consumption. This is because ketamine converts to norketaminein which is quite sedating. Bypassing the GI tract is significant with K.

Sorry to refuse to answer but it depends how you ask it.
If you just mean does it have psychedelic effects, then YES
but if you mean does it strictly belong to the class of psychedelics NO

I can't really think of dissociatives that are not psychedelic at all, so in a venn diagram
the dissociatives are either completely separate from psychedelics or completely enclosed in them. IMO.

Its a bit useless to ask other than to evoke a discussion, since its sort of semantic

Fuck I voted "yes" when I meant "no" :(.

Ketamine is most definitely NOT psychedelic.

It may be (unspeakably) insightful, but just because a drug is insightful doesn't necessarily mean it must be psychedelic.

In fact, I'd argue that K brings about insight in a manner that is the polar opposite of psychedelics.

I am also in the camp that doesn't count MDMA as psychedelic. Again, just because it is insightful doesn't mean it must be psychedelic.

Same goes to Weed.

In my mind, the word "psychedelic" has a very specific association.

In my mind, the word "psychedelic" has a very specific association.

What is your specific association? I'm quite interested as I enjoy psychedelics myself and the only thing I really associate with most psychedelics is the lucid feelings and the feeling that everything is 'new'.

^ A psychedelic is specifically a chemical substance (or substances within a plant) that induces a state of stimulatory as well as perceptual over-saturation. It due to this state that one may find one's self propelled into a mystical state of insight.

Coversely, a dissociative is a chemical substance that brings about a state of under-saturation of the senses and the perception thereof (in the case of dissociative anaesthetics, of which K is one, sensory input is cut off entirely), and within this vacuum may one be able to reach a mystical state of insight.

The insight itself, though, may indeed be identical for both in its absolute form (Infinite everythingness is not too different from infinite nothingness).

Personally, I MUCH prefer the path of the latter, and would pick Ketamine over any psychedelic at any given time.

See, I try to keep my definitions useful, because if I were to start calling anything interesting (and therefore mind-manifesting to some degree) a psychedelic, then I might as well just call everything a psychedelic and stop taking drugs!

i like K and have probably done too much of it - it used to be a lot trippier for me, and i find its definitely more psychedelic if used with other drugs like mdma or lsd.

On low dose acid (say 1 hit) where you're not necessarily tripping, a good bump of k sends me trippy for a bit, and i like how it gives me that ability to dip harder into the acid trip for 30mins or so (whilst k is kicking) then come back a step.

for me these days k isn't as trippy but it also depends on the type, me and mates classify 3 rough types - dreamy k, trippy /wonky k and k-hole / shut you down K. Indian k is my favourite, the best i had smelt of roses as it was imported in "Rose water" bottles.

This is just going by my experiences and i am not an expert

these days i cant do it as much as it fucks my short term memory whilst on it and for a few days after, it seems to gradually ebb off over a week or so, unfortunately by that point, i'm often hitting it again :)

A lot of comparison can be made between the dissociative drugs. DXM is obviously different from Ketamine, but you can see parallels in their effects. In William White's FAQ, he talks about the effects of DXM at progressively higher doses. It shuts down access to your brain piece by piece, but in a sort of different way than alcohol. It's as if they're still there and running, but anesthetized from the point of view of your conscious mind. You lose contact with the outside world, then your extremities, then finally pieces of your own mind. It's like how they say a person who loses a leg has more dexterity in their other limbs, or a blind person can hear better. The more you lose, the more your consciousness's capacity is redoubled over it's remaining range. You find yourself hyper-awake and focused as your mind loses contact with your long-term then mid-term memory, and eventually you end up in a loop of whatever has happened to enter your perception in the last 30 seconds.
Specifically with Plateau Sigma of DXM there are reports of people hearing voices telling their conscious mind what to do, and them not understanding the concept of resistance. It's as if the part of their brains that makes decisions is also outside of the little bubble that contains their waking mind. And everything outside of that bubble is automatically controlled by the subconscious.
Anyway, the point is that these disassociatives cause a looping effect, and an unusually heightened capacity in certain way via their unique brand of super-focusing. Also, with DXM at least, your mind also stores memories in such a different way that your sober mind doesn't know how to access them until you've achieve that high a few different times, indicating that your brain is existing in a different state, separate from the usual states of asleep, awake, meditating, etc. Definite potential for a mental shakeup, but whether any of this actually constitutes a psychedelic, I don't know.

No it is a disassocitive drug , but I suppose some people consider it "psycedelic" but in comparison to LSD, Mescaline and shrooms you can see that it is not a true psycedelic.Although i do enjoy doing ketamine from time to time..

No, it doesn't have the same energy or headspace as psychedelics. Psychedelic drugs are more than just whether your get OEVs or CEVs.

For me, the psychedelics trip occure in this world, the world become more intersting, moving, full of colors and paterns ...
The K, n2o, ether trip occur in a parralelle world you reach with your mind, like the pill of Matrix.

I voted no. The two mind blowing experiences I had with it did not resonate with classic psychedelia what so ever.

It felt more physical rather then a mental and visual trip.