• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Do they sometimes use antidepressants in a benzo detox ?

Kdem

Bluelighter
Per the title.

I know it happens sometimes, and do they prescribe it for some underlying 'anxiety' or 'depression' (disorder), or is it intended to help with the benzo withdrawal ?

In a strict detoxification setting, it's not likely that they will start you on a new, long-term medication. Generally they are just there to get you medically stable and that's going to include things like benzodiazepines (taper), clonidine, etc. We have a place here in Vermont called the Brattleboro Retreat, which is pretty well-known as facilities go and they combine the detox with a model of inducing psychiatric care to be continued outside of the facility. This isn't the case with most detox's, but I don't think it's out of the question to request something like an SSRI from the physician while you're there, especially if it will contribute to keeping you from relapsing and coming back.

Part of benzodiazepine detox is treating the conditions that drive people to use benzos in the first place. There are some SSRIs with indications for anxiety disorders so it wouldn't surprise me if some people took them to aid in recovery.

SSRIs don't actually do anything to chemically counteract benzo withdrawal, though, it's not like taking kratom or loperamide for an opioid habit.