View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines DMT

cybrina

Bluelighter
So, I don't even know if this post is allowed, so if it isn't, staff members feel free to delete it. I didn't really see this directly breaking any part of the BLUA but I am still kind of on the fence on whether or not I am allowed to talk about this.

I am planning on making DMT and trying it and would just like some advice from anyone who has done this before. I have made DMT before, however it was with a friend and I don't remember anything, so I need to relearn the steps. i haven't yet tried DMT despite being involved in making it about a year ago.

Ayahuasca is federally illegal in the US, however it is legal under religious practice, and I am using it for a spiritual experience which puts it under a gray area.

That's pretty much all, if you have any advice I'd be glad to receive it.

To clarify, do you want advice on extracting it or about smoking it?

I recommend doing a full A/B extraction over a straight to B for yield and purity. Gosh we get this question so often I may have to write something up. But DMT-Nexus is a great place to learn more as well..

-GC

To clarify, do you want advice on extracting it or about smoking it?
Both, but I am sure there is much more already available information on smoking it. I know you have to smoke it a certain way

I recommend doing a full A/B extraction over a straight to B for yield and purity. Gosh we get this question so often I may have to write something up. But DMT-Nexus is a great place to learn more as well..

-GC
Thanks ill definitely be checking that out

Both, but I am sure there is much more already available information on smoking it. I know you have to smoke it a certain way
I've never really found there to be much of an art to smoking DMT. I've usually just sandwiched it with a herb, either tobacco or cannabis and just avoid touching it with direct flame and dont inhale to quickly. Either in a ceramic pipe or a bong, with or without water doesn't seem to matter. Hold the smoke in until the world starts to melt.

For a first timer, I would definitely recommend starting low. Get a feel for the body load and visuals on the milder end of the spectrum before taking a deeper dive. Most people enjoy DMT but some people find it anxiety inducing and unpleasant. Often, the experience blends both negative and positive effects.

What plant are you planning to extract from?

I've never really found there to be much of an art to smoking DMT. I've usually just sandwiched it with a herb, either tobacco or cannabis and just avoid touching it with direct flame and dont inhale to quickly. Either in a ceramic pipe or a bong, with or without water doesn't seem to matter. Hold the smoke in until the world starts to melt.

For a first timer, I would definitely recommend starting low. Get a feel for the body load and visuals on the milder end of the spectrum before taking a deeper dive. Most people enjoy DMT but some people find it anxiety inducing and unpleasant. Often, the experience blends both negative and positive effects.

What plant are you planning to extract from?
I used Mimosa Hostilis root last time and it seemed to work decently.

Ayahuasca is not "illegal", I mean, it technically is, but M. Hostilis and Syrian Rue are widely available. As far as your DMT endeavors go, know that smoking is harder than extracting — you actually need atleast a glass pipe for it; if it involves cut-up water bottles, it's a no-go.

Ayahuasca is not "illegal", I mean, it technically is, but M. Hostilis and Syrian Rue are widely available. As far as your DMT endeavors go, know that smoking is harder than extracting — you actually need atleast a glass pipe for it; if it involves cut-up water bottles, it's a no-go.
Well, it aint neccesarily so

Two of my most memorable dmt breakthroughs were via a waterbottle 'bong' (not cut up though), 50mg hq dmt sandwiched in loads of ash, very careful flame above ash, get it going, exhale before a huge slow toke, no time limit, just toke until you stop of your own accord, and then hold 'til eternity...aand theennnnnnnnn :trippy3:
:trippy:

I actually find that doing a straight to base tek is operationally easy enough and provides material of sufficient purity that it can be used directly with (in my companions' experiences) no major ill side effects, IIRC on GCMS it was 95% or more pure.

First, use fresh MHRB if possible, and store raw bark in the dark, in sealed containers to limit air oxidation.
Grind up MHRB in a coffee grinder, note MHRB has about 1% by weight DMT in it.
Prepare a solution of sodium or potassium hydroxide in water.
The ratio I use is 1 gram bark to 1 gram NaOH to 15-20 mL water.
Add the bark to the alkali solution: it turns into a purple-black mucky mess.
Mix this solution gently for 20 min to an hour, more is not needed in general.
Do this in a warm water bath (~35C) to encourage the alkaloid to be liberated.
Now, begin adding portions of nonpolar solvent to the muck (Less is more, as long as you have a visible layer, try between 50 and 100mL), and gently stir/agitate it for several minutes. The solvent will pick up a yellowish hue, this is good. You do not want to use too much solvent unless you can remove it easily by distillation or evaporation.
Allow it to sit and form a nice, distinct layer above the muck. Then, using a turkey baster or pipette, remove as much of the layer as possible. If some mucky water comes along it's OK.
Now repeat this process between 4 and 10 more times. Generally speaking 5 should be good. You will end up with a volume of solvent with some muck in the bottom.
This can be cleaned up by adding small amounts of plain cold water and then removing the bottom layer via pipette/baster. Multiple washes are done until no more colour is removed.
Then, to remove excess water, magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salts) which has been spread on a baking tray and baked for several hours at 300-400F, is cooled, ground, and stored in a sealed labeled container. This is used to absorb excess water by adding a teaspoon or so to the solvent solution, and stirred.
Finally the solvent is filtered, and put in a sealed glass container in a deep freezer (ideally -20C). After 12-24h, you will see precipitation of white to slightly yellow DMT freebase. Pour the excess solvent off (can be used to extract again if necessary) and let the DMT dry in a cool, dark, well ventilated area. Store in a sealed labeled glass container.

know that smoking is harder than extracting
Smoking needs a glass pipe (hell a meth or crack pipe will work). And a lighter (torch is best). It takes maybe 2 minutes total from empty pipe to exhaling DMT smoke/vapour.
Extraction needs solvents, corrosive alkali, vessels, seperation tools, drying agents, freeze precipitation... and at least an hour or two of time.

Also, there is an important distinction to be made. Usually, the plants make the DMT, and we just extract it. But it is also possible to use chemistry to make DMT, too - just much harder.

Well, it aint neccesarily so

Two of my most memorable dmt breakthroughs were via a waterbottle 'bong' (not cut up though), 50mg hq dmt sandwiched in loads of ash, very careful flame above ash, get it going, exhale before a huge slow toke, no time limit, just toke until you stop of your own accord, and then hold 'til eternity...aand theennnnnnnnn :trippy3:
:trippy:
ash? where did you get the ash from? approx how much was above the DMT?

il_570xN.1688085152_mo5t.jpg

I actually find that doing a straight to base tek is operationally easy enough and provides material of sufficient purity that it can be used directly with (in my companions' experiences) no major ill side effects, IIRC on GCMS it was 95% or more pure.

First, use fresh MHRB if possible, and store raw bark in the dark, in sealed containers to limit air oxidation.
Grind up MHRB in a coffee grinder, note MHRB has about 1% by weight DMT in it.
Prepare a solution of sodium or potassium hydroxide in water.
The ratio I use is 1 gram bark to 1 gram NaOH to 15-20 mL water.
Add the bark to the alkali solution: it turns into a purple-black mucky mess.
Mix this solution gently for 20 min to an hour, more is not needed in general.
Do this in a warm water bath (~35C) to encourage the alkaloid to be liberated.
Now, begin adding portions of nonpolar solvent to the muck (Less is more, as long as you have a visible layer, try between 50 and 100mL), and gently stir/agitate it for several minutes. The solvent will pick up a yellowish hue, this is good. You do not want to use too much solvent unless you can remove it easily by distillation or evaporation.
Allow it to sit and form a nice, distinct layer above the muck. Then, using a turkey baster or pipette, remove as much of the layer as possible. If some mucky water comes along it's OK.
Now repeat this process between 4 and 10 more times. Generally speaking 5 should be good. You will end up with a volume of solvent with some muck in the bottom.
This can be cleaned up by adding small amounts of plain cold water and then removing the bottom layer via pipette/baster. Multiple washes are done until no more colour is removed.
Then, to remove excess water, magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salts) which has been spread on a baking tray and baked for several hours at 300-400F, is cooled, ground, and stored in a sealed labeled container. This is used to absorb excess water by adding a teaspoon or so to the solvent solution, and stirred.
Finally the solvent is filtered, and put in a sealed glass container in a deep freezer (ideally -20C). After 12-24h, you will see precipitation of white to slightly yellow DMT freebase. Pour the excess solvent off (can be used to extract again if necessary) and let the DMT dry in a cool, dark, well ventilated area. Store in a sealed labeled glass container.

Smoking needs a glass pipe (hell a meth or crack pipe will work). And a lighter (torch is best). It takes maybe 2 minutes total from empty pipe to exhaling DMT smoke/vapour.
Extraction needs solvents, corrosive alkali, vessels, seperation tools, drying agents, freeze precipitation... and at least an hour or two of time.

Also, there is an important distinction to be made. Usually, the plants make the DMT, and we just extract it. But it is also possible to use chemistry to make DMT, too - just much harder.

While a STB is a perfectly fine way to extract, I feel the A/B can allow more time for solvent contact with the plant material during the acid extraction phase. Then instead of trying to separate the naphtha from a mixture containing plant material which can possibly contaminate as you pull it off, you have a nice clean acid/DMT solution which will form much better separation of layers for cleaner product.

In the end, each to their own but I truly believe the A/B is easier. Just let it sit at room temperature for a month then when ready, decant/filter off the solution and use. No need to even heat. 2% yields off mimosa are the norm not the exception.

-GC

I feel the A/B can allow more time for solvent contact with the plant material during the acid extraction phase.
On the other hand, concentrated warm sodium hydroxide will break down some of the lignans in the bark, making it softer and also exposing the DMT.

trying to separate the naphtha from a mixture containing plant material which can possibly contaminate as you pull it off,
Even if you do remove some of the aqueous layer, due to the different polarities of a salt-saturated water solution and a hydrocarbon, they're not going to mix back together.

In the end, each to their own but I truly believe the A/B is easier. Just let it sit at room temperature for a month

Colour me impatient but usually I like my syntheses to take, at most, a couple days at maximum. I come from a work culture where labour costs were $50/hr when we calculated product pricing so fewer steps and less time is where I'm at.

That said there's a million ways to extract DMT and nobody's way is "wrong". Acid/base extraction surely works well too.

2% yields off mimosa are the norm not the exception.
You'll have to excuse me, I was working from memories here. I recall that yields were around the 1.5 to 2% mark but never kept incriminating records, so again this is a hazy recollection. I was never disappointed, put it that way.

Not nearly as hard/laborious as extraction, just more dangerous.
It's one reaction, sure, but the precursors are somewhat harder to get.
But much easier to make several hundred grams for instance!
And solutions of strong alkalies are plenty dangerous, they can blind you or cause severe burns (a la Fight Club). Keep vinegar around for spills.

jesus that is nasty, how did you come up with that
It's fine and a well used method

Much better than sandwiching between weed or other herbal type substance because A) you're only getting one psychoactive substance so your're getting a pure dmt hit in that that way and B) you are getting more dmt because your pipe isn't full of smoke/vapour from something else

It's a great method trust me. No need for multiple hits, one big hit with this method = breakthrough

About the extraction i'm firmly in camp STB after having tried both. It's a lot faster, easier and less daunting. The yield is pure enough, unless you're into crystallography, or maybe even if you are. I've gotten nice crystals with both, and the first STB pull is usually almost pure white. Also for me the yield is a lot bigger with STB, but i probably didn't optimize the A/B extraction time and pH level so not as confident about that particular point.

This is about MHRB not other sources.

Last edited: