Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DMT/ After Effects

Rupert D

Greenlighter
Hi All

New here, but I've been a regular tourist for a long time.

I have a query regarding DMT and can only really discuss it with you lot. It's been discussed here before but I want to discuss it relative to my own experiences.

I have taken lots of drugs on and off for many years. Lots of cocktails, lots of experimenting. High doses, low doses etc. I take kratom most days but generally speaking don't do much else apart from special occasions.

Anyway, this year I smoked DMT for the first time. I've smoked it around 20 times now--went a little mad at it at the beginning because I broke through, had God speak to me and experienced eternity blah blah. All the stuff that blows our tiny minds away.

But shortly after my introduction, I had a nervous breakdown and had 3 months out of work this summer. I managed to get help and got some CBT. I was getting well again and then smoked DMT last weekend for the first time in months. I'm now severely depressed again. Like end of the world depressed. Aside from this my mental health has always been kept in check. Like, I'm no poster boy for great mental health, but I've not been as bad as this.

So basically I think it's the DMT that's caused me to enter severe depression. As experienced users, we have a good idea what is what. For example I was once smoking weed every day and doing lots of other drugs. But I realised the weed was specifically becoming too much so I quit and became alright again while taking everything else.

I'm presently trying to hang on in there. I don't need help with that. Don't worry. I'm just interested if anyone here has had a similar experience with DMT or maybe psychedelics generally. I know they can have the opposite effect of helping people.

If it's not the DMT then it's a coincidence for sure and I need to seek some help because my current mental health is not good.

Cheers all.

Hello & welcome - nice first post.

I'd say it's possibly being caused by either:

1. You experienced some kind of existential crisis/PTSD etc, or
2. The DMT is highlighting something in your life that needs to change (and is perhaps being ignored) - health, exercise, lifestyle choices, drug use, etc etc

I agree the DMT showed you something about your life that you need to work on. If I were you I'd take a long break from all substances (including weed/alcohol) and work on whatever it is that is causing your depression.

Cheers, both.

Quick note: I have replied to Tranced a few nights ago, but it hasn't appeared. I'm noticing some of my posts aren't getting published. Is that common on here?

Anyway I am inclined to agree with you both. I remember that last experience was as beautiful always. But I remember being told: 'You've got to start enjoying life'. I've gone from moderately depressed to severely depressed within the space of a week and it's a critical situation.

I also agree with the advice you give, Headphones. I am taking the last of my kratom this weekend and then going home tomorrow to be with family. I am not going to take anything except prescribed meds for a long time. I actually plan to go sober for at least a year and if I do anything thereafter, it needs to be sacred because I have a history of addiction.

I'll keep you both updated and I'm really thankful for your insights. It's hard to see things when you're in it.

EDIT: quick reply doesn't work on my laptop.

Yup the only time I've ever been depressed after a psychedelic experience is when I'm not living life the way I should. You were blatantly told what you need to do, I can assume your not doing it.

Also DMT will fuck you up if you treat it with even the slightest disrespect which you did.. Using too frequently is a recipe for disaster.

I have the opposite experience with DMT where it can lift even the most stubborn of depressive episodes. But I've also become devoted to following my true inner path, it's made all the difference in my life.

PS- Smoked DMT last night and it was like a breath of fresh air, much needed.

-GC