• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Difference in antihistamines and their function

Texhual

Greenlighter
Something that' I've been wracking my brain about the last few days.
1. How do antihistamines differ from one another?
It seems to me that there are worlds between the feel of DPH, promethazine, hydroxyzine and orphenadrine, for example.
2. Is it accurate that, to put it bluntly, histamines are produced in the body when there is pain?
Anyone willing to school me in this would be appreciated.

Antihistamines do differ from one another in their range of effects, but the difference seems to be almost trivial. That is just my personal opinion. I used to think I wanted promethazine the most. It was supposed to be the best one to use with opioids (hydroxyzine in a close second place). After years of using antihistamines for sleep and enhanced sedation with opioids, I have come to the conclusion that tastes will vary, but I feel buying a giant bottle of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at costco is a faster and more prudent choice then the Rx only antihistamines. It works just fine and I don't ever crave or want any of the other ones enough anymore to seek them out.

As for your second question, you should just go ahead and consult your good friend google. You will find information from the actual medical community on the subject. I'm sure there will be something on PubMed that will at least give you a little empirical knowledge on the subject. Good luck.

Theres first generation Sedating ones Promethazine, doxylamine etc than theres the second generation that are non sedating certitizine fexofenadine etc.. because they dont cross the BBB. Histamine is released by the body if it feels threatened by infection, or foreign body ( anaphlaxysis) sorry for miss spellings im tired

On the topic of differences in antihistamines, which one is the best to fend off opiate itchiness? If the best one is not over the counter, which over the counter one is the best (in the US)? Thanks!

On the topic of differences in antihistamines, which one is the best to fend off opiate itchiness? If the best one is not over the counter, which over the counter one is the best (in the US)? Thanks!
All antihistamines work the same for me RX or not . I love the opiate itch so i don't try to stop it. each is to there own :)

All antihistamines work the same for me RX or not . I love the opiate itch so i don't try to stop it. each is to there own :)

Thanks. I like the opiate itch too, until it becomes overwhelming. It's a sign of good things to come but can be distracting.