• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Did you get teased at school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was one sheltered kid. My parents are deeply religious, and both had jobs involved with our church. Through 1st grade, I went to a private catholic school associated with my church. I had friends and was treated normally, so I thought of myself as normal. I did have some marked motor problems and was sent to a psychologist to check it out. The shrink couldn't diagnose anything.

Then my parents lost their jobs, and we had to move. I was in a small town, and went to the local public school in the best neighborhood. The teasing began immediately. I was bullied by the class alpha males, and kids thought I was disgusting. It made them physically repulsed to be near me or even hand something to me, for no apparent reason. It didn't help that my clothes were all 70s hand me downs (this was in the late 80s), and sometimes I had to wear the same ones twice in a row. I had attention problems and continued motor problems like hand flapping and toe walking, so even the teachers' patience with me wore thin.

I became ashamed of my heritage, too. I thought of Irish people as nervous people with strange hangups, over-religious, alcoholic, and not particularly attractive people. I disrespected my ancestors for being the only European people to have been colonially assraped, and the only one that continued to have tribal warfare with its northern neighbor. I even get some of this feeling back when I watch "Gangs of New York". Part of the problem was that all the popular guys in my town who got the girls were of Italian or WASP extraction.

I was a brainy kid too. Schoolwork required no effort. Social skills always struck me as so arbitrary and simple and boring that I underestimated their importance and neglected to pick them up.

My parents were always extremely supportive of me, never abusive or absent. In fact, they encouraged my sensitivity and my leaning on them for emotional support whenever I needed it. I even cried on my mother's lap as a high school boy, and thought nothing of it. Neither did she. It never occured to me that to become a real man, I had to cut the cord with my mother. I didn't pick up on the fact that almost all the boys my age were well on the way to doing that, and that doing that was a natural developmental step, especially for boys. Of course then I never learned to stand up for myself or take much emotional pain. I was fragile as a snowman. Somehow I got it into my head that becoming a real man was a relic of bygone evolutionary years, and that I was making a major breakthrough by rejecting it. I thought that I'd find some "other way" to grow up other than by leaning to stand up for myself and take pain.

I was an idealist. I never fully wrapped my head around the idea that this world is a dog-eat-dog one. I turned my head away from anything that reminded me of this fact. Like my parents, I clung to Jesus like a barnacle clings to a rock on the seashore.

Many things eventually woke me up and set me on the right track, showed me which way the sky is, and all that. They include, in chronological order: 1) Going to Japan as an exchange student, a country I had always been obsessed with. 2) Reading the American Atheists website in its entirety, and really letting it sink in. 3) Trying pot. 4) Swallowing my pride and actually learning a little social convention, and realizing there's nothing bad about it, and 5) Moving away from my folks.

I'm now 24. I'm very comfortable with who I am, and come off as relatively normal to most people I meet. I have friends and a social life. I've been reborn. I still flap my arms and talk to myself when in private. That plus my bizarre obsessions (like my one with Japan) have made me wonder if I'm not mildly autistic or have asperger's syndrome. Awful popular diagnosis these days, in any case.

To anyone who has continued problems with social skills or adjustment, here's my gem of advice: STOP THINKING. Turn off your stream of consciousness, that voice-over inside your head that follows your every move. Stop building civilizations and writing stories and contemplating scenarios all day. Just engage the world directly, and move naturally. If you think too much, you'll hesistate. You can't think yourself toward enlightenment and lasting happiness -- you can only achieve these things by doing and engaging the world head on. Gambling machines in bars in Canada all bear a plaque that says: "A game ought to remain a game." I think the philosophy section of any bookstore ought to have a similar plaque that says "literature ought to remain entertainment."

having the hardest night in a wile rember alot of assholes in my life i swear I will get all of them. so yes i was

I look back on pictures of me then and I was perfectly fine! A cute kid, nothing wrong with me. And yet those cruel idiots totally warped my sense of myself beyond recognition.

For me, a combination of drugs and a boyfriend cured all the teasing :) I just didn't care what anyone thought anymore because I knew at least one person loved me and that was all I was ever going to need.

After this, I realised the names I were called were actually positive nicknames, and they stick to this day, -and i wouldn't have it any other way!

:)

yup, i got teased a LOT
but... i don't want to talk about it, i try to forget about the past.

Well for everybody out there that ever got teased...yes people tease other people just because they are different. They cannot understand these difference and in their insecurity feel the need to tease people for the differences.

ANyways...yeah me too. I got teased ALL the time in elementary school. I had a "little" temper problem in school so I'd lose it everytime kids picked on me. So it only made them pick on me more because i guess they had fun seeing me lose my temper.

Eventually (with some therapy) I learned to control my temper.

To answer SLM's question of how these things affected the way i turned out when i got older? I think in learning to control my temper I became very laid back. Maybe too laid back...to the point of avoiding confrontation. Also, I don't like getting into fights....at all. I haven't gotten into a fight since like the 4rth grade or something.

I read this thread yesterday and thought about responding...I'd get to it when I had the time. I have the time now...instead of describing how i was teased up until highschool, I thought I'd put a bit of a positive spin on this and tell you what happened to me tonite.

An old friend of mine I've known since childhood had a birthday party tonight at her house and I had grown up with many of the guests. One of which was a boy I had a childhood crush on for many years...and also a source of much of the ridicule, teasing, and trauma I had received growing up. I cannot tell you how many nights I'd cried myself to sleep because of something he and his friends had said/done to me.

It was odd to see him after so many years. He's become a very handsome man, so I'm sorry to say I didn't have the satisfaction wondering what the hell i got myself so hung up over.

He was somewhat friendly toward me; making chit-chat and asking me how I had been and what I am up to nowadays. At first my instinct was to be cold, not following up his questions with any of my own...but I suppose curiosity got the better of me and inquired about his life now.

I couldn't have been more pleased to hear what I did.

He does not go to school nor does he have a job....apparently its been this way for a while. He's been arrested a few times and is currently squatting at a friends house. During junior high he had been one of the popular kids, one of the students that never came to class, fucked off...apparently its caught up with him. My friend told me later that he has two children (by two different mothers) that he does not see nor pay child support to.

After a few minutes I found that I had absoultely nothing to talk to him about. I overheard a few of his conversations with some of the other boys at the party, which consisted mostly of ignorance and homophobic slurs toward one another. It was then that I had the satisfaction of wondering what the hell it was I had gotten myself so hung up about when i was younger. Here is someone who, at 21, will probably never amount to much of anything. Actually, I don't see how if at all he's progressed since the last time I saw him in junior highschool.

I thought of taking him aside and confronting him with all of the shit he had done to me when I was younger...but it really seemed useless to me, that anything I could say to him would probably not yield much of a response either way and be completely lost on him.

Instead, I left the party tonight with such a sense of satisfaction knowing that I am going wonderful places in my life and that I am, as they say, worth a pile of beans.

It sucks that many of us faced such terror in our youth, but look at the outcome in most cases.

Just thought I'd share

the worst i had was when people teased me for not having a dad, which i think is the most heartless thing to do.... it hurt, but i got over it.... its funny, one of the guys who did it to me came up to me the other day, and said he was really sorry, and that its been eating him up inside, and that he really regrets it... it was great to have closure on that subject... it will always be in my mind though...

and when i grew long hair... and people used to sing the moneys song, you know (hey hey were the monkeys, people say we monkey around, but were to busy singing, to put anybody down) its actually pretty funny... that one was all in good fun though.... lucky i came to my sences and chopped the hair off... coz i did look like a girl.... hahaha... at least i can admit it...

Originally posted by CuPillar
the worst i had was when people teased me for not having a dad, which i think is the most heartless thing to do....

I agree with you there, because that is one thing that can't be changed no matter what... and it's something that isn't a matter of someone's perception (ie dorkiness, ugliness, etc), either it IS or it IS NOT.... and it hurts.... very heartless, indeed.

(((copper)))

- |{elle

CuPillar said:
the worst i had was when people teased me for not having a dad, which i think is the most heartless thing to do.... it hurt

Really stump me sometimes... I mean what can you possibly find amusing about this unfortunate situation? Very heartless.

especially because at that time of my life, i really wanted a dad... you know i was in year 8+9... it was a time of change... oh well... some people are just fucking dickheads...

im stronger than that now......

at least its made me a better person ina way, i know how much something can hurt, so i try not to let others feel that emotion...

Well its good to hear that you've taken some positives out of a nasty situation - and yes you are a better person for it because of that insight that you have :)

I was a Rebel in HS. In our circles I was moderately popular so I never really got teased. I was also weight lifter and have been told intimidating to look at but had a heart of gold. I always defended the so called "nerds" of our school. I took a special liking to this one kid Chris. Chris was a little slow and over weight. When ever my crew and I would ditch 1st period I would either invite chris along (he would never come) or just bring him something back (food) without him asking. I saw him last year, he told me his heart was in trouble but I could tell he didn't really know what that meant. I wasn't sad for Chris but pissed off at all the kids who teased him in school. All he ever wanted to be was a Marine but they wouldn't let him in because of his mental state. That's why he liked me I think. I come from a Marine corp. family and he loved to hear the stories I had been told to me by my uncles, cousins and brother. I'm talking about him like he is dead but the truth is that I don't know where he is. He doesn't live in the same house anymore. :(

Why are teenagers such assholes!!!!!!!

Last edited:
ishaim said:

i think that people who have been through these scenarios have definitely had to make a conscious effort to improve or at the least improvise self-confidence. though the past was bad it's important to remember the ugly duckling story. confidence, happiness, beauty, friendship, all these grandeurs of life have been put into perspective by anyone who's gone through any of this, perhaps moreso than those who have not. what is confidence? happiness? beauty? friendship? it's all rather subjective and in the eye of the beholder

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. people who have the luxury of not dealing with bullshit surely aren't getting any excersize, though

^^ What a fantastic and monumentally true piece of wisdom :)

haste said:
I got teased at school - I coped the worse, racial torments.

For those not from Australia, let me explain a little word first - Wog. The word "wog" has a colourful history in Australia, which I won't bore you with - its used to describe anyone from an ethnic background derogatively. Ethnic being someone who's not from an Anglo-Saxon background. It can be an isult or a joke depending on who it comes from.

Anyway, I grew up in the heart of Melbourne and anyone who knows the city knows its a very multi-cultural place and racism was not something that I was aware of while I was growing up. When I was 12 my parents moved to a little country town of about 600 people and of course I followed in tow.

Well, I was aware of the term wog, but boy did I learn quickly the full brunt of it when you are in a school and you are the only ethnic person there :(

I spent the next four years of high school being racially taunted and I lost count of the amount of times I was in phsycal fights - usually being ganged up on.

Racism sux full stop - but its so painful whe you are alone :(

Its four years of my life that I'm happy to forget..

I feel sorry for you. And yeah racism sucks- but I dont think this was racism.

In reality, in Australia, race rarely rarely ever plays a part. If people wanna bully you- they will. Regardless of race/appearance/whatever. They just look for the most obvious thing to insult someone with- in your case, your race. If you were white and fat, you would be bullied for being fat. If you were a nerd, people would bully you for being smart.

the guy I'd had a crush on for half the year stabbed me with a compass one day after school, in an attempt to "pop" me. He complained that I tried to beat him up, and rallied to have me expelled. I was given a Saturday detention and he was praised for some reason.

Omg, wtf?????

^^^

Well when those racial taunts spill out of the classroom and onto your parents I think you can safely call it racism - trust me, none of the fat kids or nerds went through what I did...

They were teased and made fun of but I was constantly beat up on and my parents taunted on the street - racism was alive and well in the country...

I am happy to say that things have changed dramatically since the 80's though.

Winterborn said:
Omg, wtf?????

It's crazy, isn't it? He came from, at the time, the 3rd richest family in Australia so the school was *desperate* to keep him there. If they'd believed what I said, they would've had to punish him and risk losing his family's money. That's how my school was.

Later, he left anyway and moved interstate. Within 6 months he'd been expelled from that school so he came back to my school. 2 weeks later he'd been suspended. 3 months after that he was suspended again, so he dropped out. Sometimes I wonder, had the school punished him when he deserved it, would my self-esteem have suffered less, would my life be different now.. I can't help but think of that little episode as the beginning of the end, it will stay with me forever :\

And haste, racism sucks and I certainly don't want to try to downplay what happened to you, but not all fat kids and nerds were just "teased and made fun of". I, like many other people I'm sure, would spend a week at a time inside my house, fearful of leaving lest someone beat me up. And hey, at least things have changed dramatically since the 80s. The fat kids and the nerds still get beaten up.

oh I didn't mean that as a general comment anna - I was just refering to my situation. I'm aware alot of fat kids and nerd get beaten up :(

Just never got to that extent at my school...

Last edited:
^^^
i copped a lot of racism too. ok, this one might be long.

i came to aus from romania in 89. dad was a refugee and we came here with only a suitcase full of stuff. i was lucky to get my teddy through romanian customs. i didnt speak a word of english in kindergarten (i only went for 3 months) and the only friend i had was a girl called kirsty. we had three teachers and only one of them bothered to talk to me.

because we lived in a small town in the southwest of WA, we were the only "true" wogs. in the ten years we lived there, i dont think we were ever considered locals. ppl used to rock our roof. i feel sick when i think of the way i was treated, and even worse for my parents that went through hell to get us into this country, only to have things made harder for them just cos they had an accent.

and the biggest cliche of all, i cant remember how many times i was told to "go back where u came from". what makes it worse is that i dont LOOK any different from ur average aussie. and i dont have an accent. i've never been able to relate to anyone else who's "ethnic" cos most of the wogs that are my age are australian. they were born here and they have rich families cos it was their grandparents that came out in the 50's. they were the ones that had to deal with being foriegners (sp).

but saying that, i would have it no other way. i have the utmost respect for my parents and i try so hard not to be bitter towards those that treated me like shit. i think its made me a better person. i realise i'm incredibly lucky to be here but it hurts to know that i had to put up with so much to become who i am.

the downside of being teased so much when i was a kid is that i really dont have much trust in other ppl outside my family. also, i never felt like i had a home and i was always so restless and eager to run away from any one that treated me wrong in the littlest way. and not forgive them ever. i'm only just learning that friends can be just as important as family cos my boyfriend has the most amazing friends and i finally feel like i belong somewhere. i've found somewhere i'm comfortable and someone i'm so comfortable with. yaay!

so thats my story. i could go on so much more but thats enough for now!

Thank you for sharing that syntech, I really appreciate it :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.