• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Did I almost overdose on oxycodone?

Nawsnos

Greenlighter
Let me start by saying I am not a heavy drug user aside from marijuana (I smoke a gram or more daily). Yesterday, I tried oxycodone for the first time. I have done hydrocodone in the past once and loved it. Was able to get my hands on oxy and decided to give it a go. I decided I wanted to parachute the pills so I crushed 3, 10mg (10oxy/325acet) tablets up, I then just threw all the powder in my mouth at once and chased it down with some Pepsi. It wasn't a pleasant taste but it lasted all but a second so I didn't mind. Additionally I was on an empty stomach if that's relevant. Fast forward 20 minutes and I was absolutely flying. I felt incredible, intense euphoria a nice buzzing body high. It was great. This nice feeling lasted probably about another 30-45 minutes. (getting even better as I was still getting higher as I don't think I had peaked yet). Then it turned ugly, my pulse slowed incredibly and breathing was extremely difficult. I thought maybe I should go lie down. When I got up I was super dizzy and could barely walk. I made it to my bed and plopped myself down with the tv on. I was very scared I had overdosed. I could barely move and felt like a sack of potatoes on my bed. It took all I had to focus on breathing. I was also starting to doze off but fought my hardest to stay awake because I was afraid I was going to forget to breath if I fell asleep. So I stayed awake. I remember slightly dozing off and it felt as if I was flowing in and out of either sleep or consciousness (I was very out of it and honestly don't know which) in waves. This was about 2 hours into the high. I remember looking down at my hands and arms and my skin looked very pale with almost a bluish purple hue to it. The next thing I remember was waking up about 3 hours later feeling like complete crap. I felt nauseous and ended up throwing up 3 or 4 times. Is it possible I came close to an overdose? Is 30mg of crushed oxycodone taken all at once enough to do that? My experience with opiates only include using a small dose of hydrocodone (taken as a normal pill) once in the past and this experience with oxy, other than that I am a stranger to opiates. I weigh approximately 165lbs. Can anyone explain what happened?

3 times 325 mg acetaminophen is only 975 mg, not even a gram of acetaminophen so idk. what was your hydro dose and how high did it make you?

3 times 325 mg acetaminophen is only 975 mg, not even a gram of acetaminophen so idk. what was your hydro dose and how high did it make you?

I took 2 tablets of hydrocodone last time and it got me pretty high, on a scale of 1-10 I would say I remember being about at a 6, possibly a 7. This was more than 6 months ago though. I believe the tablets were 5 mg each so I took 10mg altogether and definitely felt it. I did not crush the hydro when I took it, just swallowed the tablets whole.

30mg oxy is too high a dose for someone who is non tolerant. The empty stomach contributed to the high. The euphoria is typical. Turning blue and having to remind yourself to breathe followed by vomiting is your bodies way of showing how it's too much. Sleepiness is a typical side effect but dangerous when accompanied by shallow breathing. Learn from the experience.

the APAP in the pills did not contribute to the effects he felt, he meant opioid overdose not Tylenol.

Yes 30 mg is a massive dose for someone with 0 tolerance, I've been taking opiates for 5 years and 30mg of oxy still gets me pretty high. Obviously everyone's body reacts differently and clearly you have a sensitivity to opiates so please be more responsible if you decide to use again. Google opiate equivalency calculators for safe doses when switching to a new opiate, dont base your dose off of the experiences of others, and ALWAYS start with low doses especially with drugs you've never taken before.

Yea man, you most certainly checked off some OD symptoms . Now I don't want to tell you off but BL is about harm reduction so educate yourself:

- Depressed respiratory rate - CHECK
- Bradycardia - slow heart rate/pulse - CHECK
- Hypotension - low BP/dizziness - CHECK
- skeletal muscle flaciddity - CHECK
- Cyanosis - blue/pale skin or mucous membrane - CHECK

I'm thankful you didn't do anymore. Learn for this. Always have a "trip sitter" especially with CNS depressants. Narcan saves lives! You said you've only done hydrocodone in the past, we do not know the ammount, but it appears low perhaps between 10-20mg? Per the equivalency charts, oxycodone is about 1.5 strong than hydrocodone. So at 10-20mg hydro you should have only start in the 5-10mg range of oxycodone. Welcome to BL and please be careful.

30mg oxy is too high a dose for someone who is non tolerant. The empty stomach contributed to the high. The euphoria is typical. Turning blue and having to remind yourself to breathe followed by vomiting is your bodies way of showing how it's too much. Sleepiness is a typical side effect but dangerous when accompanied by shallow breathing. Learn from the experience.

the APAP in the pills did not contribute to the effects he felt, he meant opioid overdose not Tylenol.

Yes 30 mg is a massive dose for someone with 0 tolerance, I've been taking opiates for 5 years and 30mg of oxy still gets me pretty high. Obviously everyone's body reacts differently and clearly you have a sensitivity to opiates so please be more responsible if you decide to use again. Google opiate equivalency calculators for safe doses when switching to a new opiate, dont base your dose off of the experiences of others, and ALWAYS start with low doses especially with drugs you've never taken before.

Yea man, you most certainly checked off some OD symptoms . Now I don't want to tell you off but BL is about harm reduction so educate yourself:

- Depressed respiratory rate - CHECK
- Bradycardia - slow heart rate/pulse - CHECK
- Hypotension - low BP/dizziness - CHECK
- skeletal muscle flaciddity - CHECK
- Cyanosis - blue/pale skin or mucous membrane - CHECK

I'm thankful you didn't do anymore. Learn for this. Always have a "trip sitter" especially with CNS depressants. Narcan saves lives! You said you've only done hydrocodone in the past, we do not know the ammount, but it appears low perhaps between 10-20mg? Per the equivalency charts, oxycodone is about 1.5 strong than hydrocodone. So at 10-20mg hydro you should have only start in the 5-10mg range of oxycodone. Welcome to BL and please be careful.

Thanks for the responses, I most definitely learned from this and will be more careful in the future. I think I will try oxy again at a much lower dose. I will start at 5mg and see how it effects me before taking more. I'm a bit confused on the difference between crushing into powder vs taking in tablet form. What are the benefits to the high if I crush them like last time? Will it just kick in sooner? Or does it actually effect the high?

if you crush it and then take it orally yeah it should just hit sooner

Thanks for the responses, I most definitely learned from this and will be more careful in the future. I think I will try oxy again at a much lower dose. I will start at 5mg and see how it effects me before taking more. I'm a bit confused on the difference between crushing into powder vs taking in tablet form. What are the benefits to the high if I crush them like last time? Will it just kick in sooner? Or does it actually effect the high?

If you plan to take again, I strongly encourage you wait some time. Seems like you took it yesterday and its a good idea to avoid daily recreational administration.

Powder/Pill form has everything to do with surface area to volume ratio and is a very common concept in science, engineering, biology and it's really worth learning. You don't start a camp fire with large logs and a match, no you must use kindling first to expose more of the carbon to oxygen. Or a sugar cube; yes it will dissolve given a hot liquid and some stirring, but using granulated sugar will dissolve faster(to a point!) Same principle with the power/pill. Once swallowed, you only allow the outside to come into contact with your stomach acid, meaning it will dissolve slower. In a fine powder form it will dissolve much more rapidly, and move on to you duodenum (first part of small intestine) much more rapidly, which is where it gets transported to the liver.

This doesn't come without implications. Crushing it up will "hit you sooner" , or reach peak plasma concentration sooner, and feel more intense. This too warrants caution. Depending on you cytochrome genetics in your liver it could mean you process and break it down faster and start reaching for another dose. I find breaking the pill into 8 smaller pieces or so is optimum for my use. Hope that helps

Thanks for the responses, I most definitely learned from this and will be more careful in the future. I think I will try oxy again at a much lower dose.

Glad to help and glad you learned something from this. I'm not trying to be condescending but I believe the only ways someone can overdose on pills is mixing them with other depressants, purposeful OD, and plain ignorance, the latter would be the cause of your OD. Prescription pills have a huge safety advantage over street drugs since their exact dosages are known, ignoring this fact is very reckless.