• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

DHC / Codeine and breathing

TAVOR

Bluelighter
Yesterday I took roughly 90mg of Dihydrocodeine which is approximately equal to 130 mg of Codeine. Pretty standard dosage.

The high was really good, but after 3-4 hours I started concentrating on my breathing. I know that when you usually start concentrating on your breathing you start to breathe manually (even when sober) and that's what happened although I wasn't sure whether it was the drug or me, plus I was also laying down and that affects respiration.
I certainly wasn't anxious or anything but I wasn't sure whether to sleep or not even though 4 hours had passed.

Therefore I have two questions

1) how do you recognize the symptoms of respiratory depression? Can you have respiratory depression if you're able to talk, walk and normally hold a conversation etc...during the peak?

2) Is waiting 4 hours sufficient for sleeping after taking codeine / DHC?
Or does codeine /DHC last more?

Thanks

Last edited:
No, 4 hours would probably not be enough because of dhc's half life.

But your dosage was in the low range and your mind was most likely playing tricks on you.
I have experienced this a few times on opioids, up to the point of panic attacks.

But you shouldnt ignore it either.

So i dont know what advice to give except of stay safe. ;-)

^How long does one need to wait with DHC?

And would it be "safer" to dose in the afternoon rather than at night?

I have never taken DHC, but I do take codeine regularly. I've noticed that codeine lasts a maximum of 3 hours in a regular user (I take about 500 mg when I do) and I've deliberately fallen asleep during the peak (or, nodded out), never noticed any kind of serious respiratory depression. DHC lasts a little bit longer, but I'm sure 4 hours is more than enough. I think it was just your mind playing tricks on you, as has been said.

If you get the effects you're looking for from 90 mg of DHC, then that's great - it's quite a low dose and you really shouldn't worry about dying or suffering hypoxia with that. That said, it doesn't really make a difference when you take it, me personally I prefer taking my codeine at night.

^Yeah I guess I was being overly paranoid haha.

Btw it's true, codeine at night is the best, that chill and euphoric feeling while laying down watching tv or playing video games is amazing.
While dosing in the afternoon will leave you that nausea lasting for quite a bit, especially on an empty stomach

Last edited: