• ⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • ⭐⭐

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Is anyone else watching this sci-fi series that first starting showing in March on Hulu in the States? It just started on BBC2 in the UK last night. Beautiful to look at and an intriguing plot (I also like Alison Pil). Will need to see more episodes to decide if it's hot or not, personally, but a very nice start.

Has 81% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Here's a recent review:

Devs review: Alex Garland’s hugely ambitious sci-fi series is thoughtful and jarringly beautiful

4/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

While this drama set in a shadowy San Francisco tech start-up is wonderful to look at, its plot and character development are a little shaky

I'm a couple episodes behind, but I've loved it so far.

I won't be able to fully judge it until the season is over. I really hope the plot is actually GOING somewhere. All too often writers get bogged down in the episodic format and forget to tell the gd story.

I think anyone into hard sci-if will love this show. I am not so I won’t say I love it but it is very well done and artful. it gets very exciting in the second half and I can’t wait to see the final episode when it airs tonight!

Oh damn, I didn't know it was already on the final episode. I will have to make sure to avoid spoilers.

Meh, binged the last two episodes, but it would have been too difficult not to. Really enjoyed the series, provocative and beautiful.

i watched the final episode last night. no spoilers but i thought they wrapped it up pretty elegantly. overall i really enjoyed it. having lived in san francisco for many years, the numerous aerial segue shots of the city and environs were gorgeous...

a solid 8/10 easily.

alasdair

Devs (FX made, showing on Hulu)

Created by Alex Garland (Ex Machina, Annhilation, 28 Days Later), so you should already have some sense of what you're in for = a SciFi that toys with existence. Actors, and characters, are pretty good here, although it is the slowly unfolding storyline that pulls you in. The side stories feel a bit weak, and appear to be discarded without much thought, more like filler to move an episode along but not a whole lot towards the main plot. It has an interesting ending, some may see it coming, some may not. But overall, another single season eight episode binge that left me feeling meh. Better story than most, but it should have been made with the intent of ONLY one season (as a movie, split up) rather than something that needed to be sustained for multiple seasons (there's no word on S2 as yet, and IMO it will be jumping sharks). It is a good one-shot story, not a series, IMO. At least, not with the base premise. Anyway, I can say I saw it. 7/10

Last edited: