• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Depression after opiates

Stringer_Bell

Bluelighter
Hi,

There was an old thread on this but I didn't want to bump it.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/641606-Depression-the-day-after-using-opiates

I'm getting the same thing. After using about 80mg of Oxy for a day or two (I have a baseline tolerance even though I only use for a few days each month), the following days I will experience quite severe depression. This isn't physical withdrawal (I think). I have never been physically dependent on opioids and never use more than a few days in a row.

So I used Oxy last Thursday, Friday and Saturday for the first time in a month. About 80mg a day. On Sunday I felt exhausted and dreadful. Monday I felt much worse, the depression was severe and debilitating. So I took 40mg of Oxy and immediately felt great. I took another 40mg and continued feeling great all day. I woke up the next day without depression and went for one of the strongest 10km runs of my life, literally bounced through it with no fatigue even though I was running fast. However later I decided to take my final tablet of Oxy, even though I wasn't depressed. Took it and felt great. Took my final 40mg later and continued feeling good. Woke up the next day feeling okish and went running again.

Since then (Tuesday) no more Oxy and I feel terrible. The depression is severe and I don't feel physically good. Even walking is tiring and exercise seems impossible.

I'm very curious as to what is going on here. Most of all I just want it to be over. I'm borderline suicidal, can't work at the moment and am just in a bad way. I used to take Dexedrine (prescribed). It was great at first but over the course of a couple of years it just started affecting me worse and worse to the point where my body would react very badly to it. When I first started taking opiates there was no downside, I felt great for a few hours, the opiate would wear off then I'd feel fine again. But now, I'll get high for a couple of days then feel terrible for a week afterwards.

Like in the thread above I'm guessing this is the beginning of true addiction. If I had more oxy now I would take it just to stop myself feeling so utterly terrible. I think I'm done with this. The idea that I can use this stuff for a few days a month, get the good effects and not pay for it is not proving to be correct. So the only choices seem to be either don't use it at all. Ever. Or use it every day. I don't think I want to do the latter.

What goes up must come down. First, learn to keep opiates at arms length when using them. Yes, your body is experiencing withdrawal symptoms. That is why you take 80mg then stop and your body starts feeling like shit.

It is the precursor to physical addiction. The good news is that it doesn't have to be.The fact that you use only so many times a month, you have a chance to stop usage completely or dial it dowm a bit.

The positive word here is taper. If you continue to do this (I dont recommend) taper your dose down to avoid heavy withdrawls.

Personally, I'd pick a new hobby.

Cannabis is much better for you.

What goes up must come down. First, learn to keep opiates at arms length when using them. Yes, your body is experiencing withdrawal symptoms. That is why you take 80mg then stop and your body starts feeling like shit.

It is the precursor to physical addiction. The good news is that it doesn't have to be.The fact that you use only so many times a month, you have a chance to stop usage completely or dial it dowm a bit.

The positive word here is taper. If you continue to do this (I dont recommend) taper your dose down to avoid heavy withdrawls.

Thanks for the reply Speed King. People keep telling me to smoke weed but I never really liked it and after having a really bad experience using weed to come down off an acid trip a very long time ago I'm scared to go near it.

I didn't think I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms because I don't have the classic symptoms, the main symptom I have is really bad depression. But I think you're right. I mean the fact that when I took 40mg it immediately and completely reversed the negative symptoms shows that I am in withdrawal.

Unfortunately I'm abroad now and have absolutely no access so tapering isn't an option. Honestly when I started using opiates I didn't envisage experiencing withdrawal symptoms at any stage (who does!). I thought I could just use them occasionally and have the positives without the negatives. How stupid I was. When I first started I would take 20mg Oxy once in a blue moon and feel great. Now it takes 40mg to get high and I'll binge for a few days at a time. Then experience this depression which, one time, is going to trigger a suicide attempt or something. Think it's better just to recognise that, just as I could no longer take Dexedrine, I can no longer mess around with opiates.

Listen to this! Opioids are to easy to loose yourself without you knowing.

Thanks for the reply Speed King. People keep telling me to smoke weed but I never really liked it and after having a really bad experience using weed to come down off an acid trip a very long time ago I'm scared to go near it.

I didn't think I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms because I don't have the classic symptoms, the main symptom I have is really bad depression. But I think you're right. I mean the fact that when I took 40mg it immediately and completely reversed the negative symptoms shows that I am in withdrawal.

Unfortunately I'm abroad now and have absolutely no access so tapering isn't an option. Honestly when I started using opiates I didn't envisage experiencing withdrawal symptoms at any stage (who does!). I thought I could just use them occasionally and have the positives without the negatives. How stupid I was. When I first started I would take 20mg Oxy once in a blue moon and feel great. Now it takes 40mg to get high and I'll binge for a few days at a time. Then experience this depression which, one time, is going to trigger a suicide attempt or something. Think it's better just to recognise that, just as I could no longer take Dexedrine, I can no longer mess around with opiates.

We're here to help you. If you are seriously depressed, go see a doctor or goto a hospital.

You can post in TDS and Mental Health forums.You will recieve plenty of help there.

Your body is in a bitch and moan phase.' Sure it can be tough, but you can get through this.

To help your brain and body, you can take vitamins and supplements such as Phenylalanine, to help your brain recover.

As far as the cannabis goes, you simply took it at the wrong time. I did the same thing as you, plus a couple chemicals and ended up in the hospital with a heartbeat that was 220 beats per minute. I had to pray and calm myself down, because they were ready to put paddles on my chest and jump me.

I brought myself down. I was so high, I didn't even feel the IV Valium and IV dilaudid they were giving me, plus feeding me nitroglycerin tablets. That was not cool. It all started from one hit of herb at the wrong time.

I let the experience go and took a break for a while.

I'm currently on a break from herb, but I vape or eat medical grade herb when I can.

You simply had a bad experience. You need to let that go and try herb very lightly.

You will be supprised. Herb dialates your blood vessels. It would definitely help your depression. I've been smoking at least a half ounce of med grade herb, packaged edibles and some hash oil (that is the shit) for a year.

I just stopped by weening myself off.

This is all my opinion. Herb is healthy for you.

Keep the faith. We're here to help you.

Thank you Speed King.

You had a very similar experience with weed to the one I had. My heart rate was also over 200 and I was sure I was going to die. I don't think I will smoke again, I mean you say you took it at the wrong time but what does that mean? What if it happens to be the wrong time again? What if you calming yourself hadn't worked? It freaks me out to think about it and as i say I get panic attacks so I think I'll steer clear. Besides even before that happened I never really liked weed the way some do.

I think I'm done with opioids - I figured it out yesterday. There's no point using 'occasionally' now. Every time I do I have depression 5x as long and 5x as bad as the high. So I'm either never going to use them or I'm going to use them and commit to being a full time addict. The in between is pointless. And I would only go the full time addict route if I was ready to kill myself anyway.

I went running this morning and feel better today. Hopefully the worst is over. I really appreciate the support.

Textbook withdrawal. What you are experiencing would actually be grouped into "mild" symptoms of withdrawal. Nausea, vomiting, extreme craving and panic are going to be the more severe symptoms. You're dependent in a minor way upon Opioids and what you're going through is pretty normal. You can choose to either continue or decide to get off of them before it gets worse.

Thank you Keif'. Get off them, definitely. It freaks me out that I have gone this far with opioids. I absolutely understand how addiction creeps up on people.

This has been awful, I simply can't imagine going through major withdrawal, must be hell and very sorry for all of you that do experience it.

Edit: Man I only just thought about this but decided to work out the financial cost of an Oxy addiction. I've been using 80mg a day even though I'm an occasional user. If I used daily that would have to go up. Conservatively I would use at least 120mg a day (but probably much more after a while). So I'm spending at least (assuming $1 per mg) $120 a day or $840 a week. So about $3360 a month. I could afford it even though it's making a significant dent in disposable income. If I used 300mg a day (I'm guessing this is probably where I'd top out) I'd be spending $8400 a month. Now it becomes essentially unaffordable. It's suddenly very clear to me why even lawyers and doctors are making the switch from Oxy to Heroin.

Last edited: